Weekly meet up snack ideas.

Hi guys, I need some advice.

I'm part of a games group which meets up every weekend for some laughs. All involved are exceptionally healthy and fit, doing obsectle races for fun which is great! But the downside is the snacks.

They are all the foods I need to restrict, such as crisps, chocolate, cheese and cake. These sessions last about 7 hours and it's really hard to resist reaching for another handful of these snacks when they are just sitting there... This is made even worse when the group orders in take-out for dinner.

Any suggestions for some pleasant snacks I can take along? Something to nibble on, while I avoid eye contact with cheese and crackers?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    fruit/veggie tray
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    What do you like? What makes you feel full/satisfied?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2018
    I had French apple tart last month and it was surprisingly low in calories for a regular (not diet) dessert. There is also midranges, angel food cake, strawberry trifle, and quite a few lower calorie regular desserts. For savory, nothing beats a good spring roll in my opinion.
  • CitricHamster
    CitricHamster Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hmm I like anything that is crunchy? You know, something with a bite to it. I find it difficult to have salad and feel satisfied after, as I always end up feeling hungry, shortly followed by hangry, about 30 minutes later.

I've tried grapes, but they go very quickly in the group. I've also tried hummus, but struggled to enjoy it without black pepper crackers, which I know is terrible.

Maybe kale crisps? Although I know you use a lot of oil on them which has made me hesitant to try them.

Outside those options though, my idea well is pretty dry and usually ends up falling on yet more carb based things.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited March 2018
    if its just for the crunch i stick by veggie/fruit tray and up you rice cakes and tea biscuits. Theres a cheap brand of tea biscuits i buy i get 8 of them for 130 calories i believe. Sweet and crunchy and surprisingly low calorie considering they are cookies lol. Come in packages i would just bring a sleeve with me and nibble away at my veggies/cookies

edit to add: it sort of sounds like you want to keep it 100% healthy and to that i question, Is healthier an okay option? Like vs eating all the cake and cookies and whatever else they have there your avoiding, Can you bring lower calorie versions or something thats still a snack but that you love and could have one portion of. Sometimes its a mental game to, Sometimes a good snack is needed. In which case bring something you LOVE and savor it dont just get something that will leave you feeling saddened and unsatisfied. Around all that food sometimes you need to accept the snack and treat yourself, Its not good to feel deprived surrounded by bad foods- or really in life in general
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Maybe bring more grapes? What's terrible about black pepper crackers? You can't be afraid of both fat and carbs (ideally, you're not afraid of food - period - like your friends), (and if youre afraid of carbs, you wouldn't even eat grapes). Maybe if you think outside the snacks box, and think meal - if you're not going to eat the takeaway like the others, you need something more substantial. Maybe add some more different stuff to your salad? Or what about a sandwich or wrap? A container of homemade chili?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Hmm I like anything that is crunchy? You know, something with a bite to it. I find it difficult to have salad and feel satisfied after, as I always end up feeling hungry, shortly followed by hangry, about 30 minutes later.

I've tried grapes, but often don't get many as they go very quickly in the group. I've also tried hummus, but struggled to enjoy it without black pepper crackers, which I know is terrible.

Maybe kale crisps? Although I know you use a lot of oil on them which has made me hesitant to try them.

Outside those options though, my idea well is pretty dry and usually ends up falling on yet more carb based things.

Pepper crackers are about 20 or 25 calories per cracker if I recall correctly. This isn't bad at all if that's what you like. You're being active and you can afford quite a few.
  • CitricHamster
    Oh, well that's some good news which I needed. Always felt really guilty having the crackers, as all I've had in my head is that it's bad to have carbs.

Maybe I can go back to having some hummus with crackers then, and just work on my self control with the other snacks. Thanks :)
  • CitricHamster
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    if its just for the crunch i stick by veggie/fruit tray and up you rice cakes and tea biscuits. Theres a cheap brand of tea biscuits i buy i get 8 of them for 130 calories i believe. Sweet and crunchy and surprisingly low calorie considering they are cookies lol. Come in packages i would just bring a sleeve with me and nibble away at my veggies/cookies

edit to add: it sort of sounds like you want to keep it 100% healthy and to that i question, Is healthier an okay option? Like vs eating all the cake and cookies and whatever else they have there your avoiding, Can you bring lower calorie versions or something thats still a snack but that you love and could have one portion of. Sometimes its a mental game to, Sometimes a good snack is needed. In which case bring something you LOVE and savor it dont just get something that will leave you feeling saddened and unsatisfied. Around all that food sometimes you need to accept the snack and treat yourself, Its not good to feel deprived surrounded by bad foods- or really in life in general

Ah I might have to give those tea biscuits a go! They sound lovely. I'm not trying to go 100% healthy, had a tea cake today for breakfast as they are one of my favourites, but definitely trying to cut down on my old eating habits, but I am probably being a little too strict, as you said.Guess I'm having difficulty drawing the line as to when I can indulge and when I can't.

So I'll take your advice to heart :) thank you!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Veggie tray (with hummus, since you like that)
    Roasted seaweed
    Ants on a log (celery, PB, raisins)
    This is a good weekend for deviled eggs, if you have a recipe that fits your goals
    Zucchini boats
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Ants on a log (celery, PB, raisins)

have never heard of this and am stealing it! :D

I would take
    rice cakes broken up small, and maybe different flavours - sweet and savoury
    simple popcorn
    dark chocolate - again broken up really small so that there is 'more' to go back for
    cut up apple and banana
    and another vote for carrot/veg and hummus

• CitricHamster
    edited March 2018
    Same as @beerfoamy, never heard of ants on a log. Will have to try! But love the idea of making a banana and apple mix with some grated dark chocolate, thank you! That's all things good in one.

Will also have to look up the courgette boats as I've always liked the veg, specially in a green Thai curry oddly enough.

*Edit: Ive googled them! They look delicious @concordancia ! Adding them to my list for this weekend.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    With a 7 hour session maybe bring something that would serve as a light meal instead of thinking of it as a snack food?

Sausage, cheese, deviled eggs, hard boiled eggs, vegetables with dip, fruit (apples would probably take longer than popping grapes), oatmeal muffins, tortilla pinwheels, stuffed tomato/cucumber/zucchini/peppers/mushrooms, mushroom pizza bites, soup, small sandwiches, small burritos, wasabi peas
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Deviled eggs

Celery stuffed with cream cheese and paprika (or make it Buffalo style by mixing in some blue cheese, chives, and hot sauce)

Marinated veggies - blanched green beans, cherry tomatoes, and feta in Italian dressing is always a huge hit

Pickles and fancy stuffed olives

Caprese skewers - cocktail picks with cherry tomato, basil, and mini mozzarella ball

Seasoned popcorn - air popped + tiny spray of olive oil + spice blends, think Old Bay, Cajun, BBQ rubs, fresh chopped herbs and garlic, herbs and a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan, cinnamon and a little sugar

Reduced-calorie (less sugar/butter) apple or berry crisp if you need to bring a dessert? Lots of recipes for these that still taste pretty good and focus more on the fruit. Or a fruit tray with yogurt dip.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Pickles wrapped in roast beef with mustard for dipping

Dried chickpeas

Edamame (still in the shell so it takes longer to eat)

Roasted brussel sprouts

Bacon strips

Bean salad

Melon wrapped in prosciutto