Nosy Coworkers

124»

Replies

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Who cares?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I have a coworker who comments on everything I eat. It's really annoying. If I have a donut, egg sandwich, piece of candy or anything that she "can't have" she's at my desk fawning over it. Her comments are usually "lucky! I wish I could have an egg sandwich! but it's too high in fat and I have to watch my cholesterol" "oh a donut?? aww I want one!" My comments are usually something like "yep, I was craving a donut today..." "this egg sandwich has a good source of protein that will keep me full all day" Most recently, I was having a mild case of low blood sugar, and was sucking on a Jolly Rancher to bring it up a bit and tide me over till lunch. She thought I was soooo lucky to be able to have a 25 calorie piece of candy in my mouth. I told her I was eating it to get my blood sugar back up, and wasn't sure how lucky that made me. She hasn't commented on my food in a little while, lol. The egg one annoys me the most, because I'm pretty sure there are worse sources of high cholesterol in her diet then the eggs she demonizes so much. Every recipe she has given me usually involves cream of mushroom soup and a packet of onion soup mix... Water off a ducks back though. Smile and nod is usually the best way to go, lol.

ETA: Then there's when my other coworker's offer me ice cream , pizza or other goodies they bring in. If I don't want any, or it doesn't fit my calories I just tell them I just ate or I'm still full from lunch. No one questions it. If I say that I'm watching what I eat they try to push it harder.. go figure.

Unfortunately....eggs cause high cholesterol has been debunked a few months. Google it. Research said that they have far greater nutrients than cholesterol.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited March 2018
    "Mikkimeow wrote: »
    "How often do you guys deal with this? What are some things you hear about what you eat/ your lifestyle that just get under your skin?
    Summary execution.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    I have a coworker who comments on everything I eat. It's really annoying.

This is why the only person who knows I'm losing weight is my husband. I have a coworker like this who feels the need to comment on other people's breakfasts, lunches, snacks, whatever. I stopped going out to lunch every day, but that's easy enough to explain away - eh, decided to save a few bucks. But in some ways my workplace is a viper's nest, and I don't need to be the topic of conversation.

I know some people announce their intentions as a way of being held accountable, but when I commit to a decision I do it without announcements or fanfare.

So do I! Never feel the need to annouce to the world I am working at losing weight. It just happens and I just say no to everything cause I don't want it......makes them crazy. Especially when I walk in in a brand new smaller outfit. Hee Hee :D
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I have a coworker who comments on everything I eat. It's really annoying. If I have a donut, egg sandwich, piece of candy or anything that she "can't have" she's at my desk fawning over it. Her comments are usually "lucky! I wish I could have an egg sandwich! but it's too high in fat and I have to watch my cholesterol" "oh a donut?? aww I want one!" My comments are usually something like "yep, I was craving a donut today..." "this egg sandwich has a good source of protein that will keep me full all day" Most recently, I was having a mild case of low blood sugar, and was sucking on a Jolly Rancher to bring it up a bit and tide me over till lunch. She thought I was soooo lucky to be able to have a 25 calorie piece of candy in my mouth. I told her I was eating it to get my blood sugar back up, and wasn't sure how lucky that made me. She hasn't commented on my food in a little while, lol. The egg one annoys me the most, because I'm pretty sure there are worse sources of high cholesterol in her diet then the eggs she demonizes so much. Every recipe she has given me usually involves cream of mushroom soup and a packet of onion soup mix... Water off a ducks back though. Smile and nod is usually the best way to go, lol.

ETA: Then there's when my other coworker's offer me ice cream , pizza or other goodies they bring in. If I don't want any, or it doesn't fit my calories I just tell them I just ate or I'm still full from lunch. No one questions it. If I say that I'm watching what I eat they try to push it harder.. go figure.

Unfortunately....eggs cause high cholesterol has been debunked a few months. Google it. Research said that they have far greater nutrients than cholesterol.

I know that... she's not convinced though. The whole egg has been okay to eat for years. Dietary cholesterol isn't as impactful to blood cholesterol as once thought. Hence drooling over a 350 calorie whole wheat egg sammich. :no_mouth:
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    kballsocc wrote: »
    Unfortunately, friends and coworkers still look at me like I'm some alien when I pass up the free pizza/thai food/ice cream/cookies/mexican etc and bring my own food to eat. If I am going to eat bbq, it is going to be from some family restaurant in the south, the free dry meat with a so-so sauce and some passable mac'n'cheese isn't appetizing.

I am in grad school; there is free food everywhere multiple times a week. I could probably get a couple lunches per week free if I ate pizza. I'd rather save my calories for wine and dark chocolate later, but people can't get it through their head that I can't eat everything I want all the time. I just don't feel like exercising that much and a lot of free food I don't find filling.

I pack my lunch and snacks every day. My philosophy now is, "If I didn't pack it, I don't eat it." Sometimes people attempt to insist but so far I've been consistent. I've noticed that most of the time now they will offer, I chant my mantra and they leave me alone. It's all about persistence. And repetition.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    erickirb wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by meal prep... where they at your house when you were prepping/cooking a large pot to be divided later. If so, they may though all of that was a meal or so, not many meals.

If you were at work, you mean they saw you heating up your portioned out meal? which is what I think you are saying, but you said they saw you heating up your meal prep, which made me wonder.

Regardless, it is easy to say, what do you mean, this meal is 400 calories, which makes up 25% (or whatever) of my daily intake.

Just because a phrase has become an instagram fad doesn't eliminate its long-established meaning. Meal prep = meal preparation. OP was preparing a meal, hence, meal prep. No multiple meals, special boxes, or photos for the Internet required.

Naw, she was heating her meal.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    edited April 2018
    Mikkimeow wrote: »
    I was heating up my meal prep a few minutes ago, and I had a coworker walk by me stirring my plate of spaghetti. She looks down and says, "Oh, I see the diet is going well!" chuckles and walks away. I simply sighed.

My meal prep is below. It fits my macros, keeps me full, and frankly, why should I give up pasta to lose weight when I can eat it and still be at a deficit????

I've found that since my weight loss has become noticeable, the comments have started. It is almost since I started caring about what goes into my body, other people feel the need to also. Many are well meaning, "Oh I see you got the salad!" or " You are looking great, keep it up, don't quit" What many don't realize is that I have been at this for quite some time, and your perceptions on pasta aren't going to persuade me to eat like a rabbit. Good luck with whatever weight loss fad you try this month.

How often do you guys deal with this? What are some things you hear about what you eat/ your lifestyle that just get under your skin?
    293sbgv2d8vj.png

Most effective response in my experience: "sounds like you're having a bad day. I hope it gets better."

In most situations, overtly making it about THEM and expressing empathy does the trick. If she gets nasty, shrug and say nothing.
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Since I brought a scale to work to cover days that I didn't bring prepped food, I've been getting these comments. It's really annoying. I was invisible before. So, now you want to start making negative comments? I'd rather have stayed invisible.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Kohanai wrote: »
    Since I brought a scale to work to cover days that I didn't bring prepped food, I've been getting these comments. It's really annoying. I was invisible before. So, now you want to start making negative comments? I'd rather have stayed invisible.

But then they're going to start coming to you to weigh things for them.

True story.

That's hilarious!

I've never had anyone want things weighed yet at work.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    I meal prep as well, and if I take something with pasta or potato -fitting into my calories and macros- Iol get, “You’re not going to lose weight eating carbs like that.” My response is to tell them that carbs aren’t bad and that I need them for the long distance running that I do. I think a lot of people hear about fad diets and think that the only way to lose weight is to restrict yourself instead of just moderating.

Yep, most people just implicitly trust a few people in their lives for some topics (the “fit friend” for diet advice, the “smart friend” for science stuff, etc) but a lot of times the fit friend isn’t that fit (or isn’t fit because they know a lot about nutrition) or the smart friend isn’t that smart (or doesn’t really understand science) so they give bad advice or trendy advice or whatever and the person takes it as gospel.