hit a plateau?

meldjk44
meldjk44 Posts: 28 Member
I am stuck.. I started this weight loss journey in January at 172 lbs. it is now the end of March and I'm only at 164 lbs. I cant seem to lose any more weight. I still have 35lbs to get to my Goal weight.
I go to the gym twice a week and do kickboxing once a week. I am keeping my calorie intake at 1500 or less.. I really don't know what I am doing or what I can do to start back up. I don't like the intermittent fasting thing, I seriously cant function if I don't eat breakfast. and I tried doing Keto but not being able to eat fruit or vegetables was hard for me. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Start with perspective: you are losing just under a pound a week, which is pretty good!

Forget the fads. Focus on your tracking accuracy. Fruits and vegetables are great! Are you weighing them or just tracking 1 apple?
  • meldjk44
    Start with perspective: you are losing just under a pound a week, which is pretty good!

Forget the fads. Focus on your tracking accuracy. Fruits and vegetables are great! Are you weighing them or just tracking 1 apple?

I am just tracking 1 apple or like 1 medium banana. should I weight them? is that more accurate? I do weigh my food though. like my meats I weigh.
  • Matt151288mfp
    Matt151288mfp Posts: 37 Member
    meldjk44 wrote: »

I am just tracking 1 apple or like 1 medium banana. should I weight them? is that more accurate? I do weigh my food though. like my meats I weigh.
    Weigh everything tbh and double check the labels before putting it in here as some ppl put the wrong cals in etc you also may need to have a refeed to bump up leptin levels and metabolism:)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member

You might find some of the videos and infographics in this thread interesting: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

At least for a couple of weeks, I'd suggest weighing everything you can - including fruits, veggies, prepackaged foods, etc. - and see if it makes a difference.
  • meldjk44

You might find some of the videos and infographics in this thread interesting: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

At least for a couple of weeks, I'd suggest weighing everything you can - including fruits, veggies, prepackaged foods, etc. - and see if it makes a difference.

Oh wow, yea thank you very much! I was on a pretty good 50 day streak of logging everything. when I hit my wall I just stopped. Thank you! and I do have a food scale so I will start using it more often.
  • meldjk44
    I am stuck.. I started this weight loss journey in January at 172 lbs. it is now the end of March and I'm only at 164 lbs. I cant seem to lose any more weight. I still have 35lbs to get to my Goal weight.
    I go to the gym twice a week and do kickboxing once a week. I am keeping my calorie intake at 1500 or less.. I really don't know what I am doing or what I can do to start back up. I don't like the intermittent fasting thing, I seriously cant function if I don't eat breakfast. and I tried doing Keto but not being able to eat fruit or vegetables was hard for me. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
    You also don’t need Keto or fasting etc all that matters is been in a caloric deficit and get those macronutrients and micronutrients hit :)

Yes thank you! I just want to be healthy.
  • Matt151288mfp
    Matt151288mfp Posts: 37 Member
    You also don’t need Keto or fasting etc all that matters is been in a caloric deficit and get those macronutrients and micronutrients hit :)

Yes thank you! I just want to be healthy.
    No bother :smile: any help me give a buzz lol
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    I’ve run into plateaus when I change my exercise, not sure how long you’ve been on that routine. Might be worth taking measurements, the scale is one of the ways to measure fitness progress, but not the only one. If your weight is static, but your measurements change for the better that can imply that you’re likely leaner than you were even if you’re not lighter.
  • fitchick37
    fitchick37 Posts: 124 Member
    I got my scales to start moving by upping my water intake from 2 litres to 3.5 litres per day
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    I've hit a plateau a few times in my weight loss journey. It would last a week or sometimes two. I learned to just keep doing what I was doing and not worry. I guess our bodies have to adjust to all the change or something. I am really close to goal weight and I recently hit a plateau that lasted 2 months. I decided I had to ramp up the exercise which helped. But it's super hard to get the last 5 lbs off
  • DarkWaffleLord
    DarkWaffleLord Posts: 17 Member
    Keep in mind that too much sodium can cause you to stall because of retaining water. If you drink energy drinks or sodas, scale down for a few days and drink water instead.
  • jopedersen2012
    jopedersen2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Did you make any changes. I am in the same situation, started at 180 and lost 16 lbs. I have not lost anything for 2 weeks. I do water aerobics 5 days a week, I have a fitbit band and have upped my steps to 20,000 a day and have no more than 1200 calories a day. My diet consists of mostly protein and I have increased by fiber. Are you tracking your carbs, protein. fibre and sugar, if so what are your numbers? It is so frustrating!
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Ah wow, a couple of people in similar boat to me- I’ve lot 16lb since beginning of Feb, I’ve around 25 lb still to go and I can’t seem to budge the scales. I downloaded happy scale on recommendation and it was useful to see the Downward trend even though it seems slow. 1lb per week is a great rate of loss though. Keep it up and I’m sure you’ll start to see the scale going down again!
  • aliblain
    I should stay, I started doing a carb cycling plan with HIIT a couple of weeks ago and I started to lose again but I broke my toe doing the HIIT so have just carried on with the diet. Maybe make a change to your diet? I have seen in so many threads people recommending people to up their calorie intake too but I’m not sure I buy it.
  • aliblain
    Did you make any changes. I am in the same situation, started at 180 and lost 16 lbs. I have not lost anything for 2 weeks. I do water aerobics 5 days a week, I have a fitbit band and have upped my steps to 20,000 a day and have no more than 1200 calories a day. My diet consists of mostly protein and I have increased by fiber. Are you tracking your carbs, protein. fibre and sugar, if so what are your numbers? It is so frustrating!

Your calorie intake seems quite low for all that exercise- are you sure you’re weighing and logging everything?
    Another thing I had meant to ask OP was if she was recording milk in teas and coffees etc.? I realised that I’m such a big coffee drinker that I could be consuming over 200 cals in splashes of milk!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!