I finally get it - how do people eat this much (healthy food)?

2»

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Eat fewer vegetables so you can add more protein.

I will be honest that I am clueless about what enough vegetables is per day... I was trying to eat a bit healthier since I'm always tired/sick (I may have an autoimmune disease). I probably need to look up what's necessary. Maybe I am over the needed value :/ The listed is about 100g protein. I was told 0.8-1g per lb of goal weight. Goal is 115lbs so I went with 92-115g per day.

Well 800g is recommended...

I get anywhere between 200g- 600g a day, I get over 20g of fibre so I'm happy. I'm a massive meat water as well though.

Bean & lentils are good for protein.

Where I live it's 600g of fruits (2 servings for 120g) and veggies (3 servings of 120g) per day, which seems a lot more realistic than 800g of veggies alone, especially if someone isn't used to eating that much fresh veggies. :astonished:

Sorry, should have said 800g of fruit and veg, not just veg.

Ok. That makes a whole lot more sense. I had thought I must have misread you :smile:
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited March 2018
    This is just a suggestion and I'm just going by the foods your posted above, but maybe the veggie "meats" (veggie tenders, veggie sausage and veggie bacon) you are eating have ingredients that are bothering your stomach or making you feel too full. What do they contain?

They contain probably tons of stuff. They are still premade/refrigerated. But no I eat those all the time. Never bother me so that wouldn't be it. The only change is the vegetables...maybe the cottage cheese?
  • Verity1111
    Too much of anything is not good. You can overdo it on the vegetable intake. When I did the 10 fruit/ vegetable challenge it was causing me some painful stomach cramping. I backed off some and feel better.

Maybe mixing certain ones? Who knows. Ok I will try it. I did have more veggies yesterday than I have listed today so maybe my body is just like woahhh hold on I'm still digesting lol. I had peas, carrots, celery, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, etc etc yesterday. Lol. Among others.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Greek yogurt is great for protein. Maybe replace one of your snacks with a good serving of that. You could stir in protein powder if you wanted to add some, also. You could also blend it with veggies to make a smoothie.

I agree with suggestions to eat the whole egg and not just whites. I make omelettes with two whole eggs and two extra egg whites. It's a lot of food and I get the benefits of the yolks, also.
  • Verity1111
    edited March 2018
    Greek yogurt is great for protein. Maybe replace one of your snacks with a good serving of that. You could stir in protein powder if you wanted to add some, also. You could also blend it with veggies to make a smoothie.

I agree with suggestions to eat the whole egg and not just whites. I make omelettes with two whole eggs and two extra egg whites. It's a lot of food and I get the benefits of the yolks, also.

Noooooo please let me die instead! lol. I HATE yogurt! I seriously can not get it down with all of the gagging. Lol. I actually just went to try one right now but it smelled so rancid I gave it to my kids lmso! Mother of the year...they love yogurt though. Maybe as a smoothie.... maybe! I will need to try it. I strongly dislike fresh fruit (and I am allergic to most) but blended I like it so maybe that with yogurt and spinach? I am a savory food person. I will take the egg advice! And consider making some sort of smoothie too ^_^ Thanks!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member

Noooooo please let me die instead! lol. I HATE yogurt! I seriously can not get it down with all of the gagging. Lol. I actually just went to try one right now but it smelled so rancid I gave it to my kids lmso! Mother of the year...they love yogurt though. Maybe as a smoothie.... maybe! I will need to try it. I strongly dislike fresh fruit (and I am allergic to most) but blended I like it so maybe that with yogurt and spinach? I am a savory food person. I will take the egg advice! And consider making some sort of smoothie too ^_^ Thanks!

Don't go crazy forcing yourself to eat food you don't like.

Do you like tofu?
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Certain cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, and brussels sprouts as well as wheat give me a very full and often painful/uncomfortable feeling (and bowel issues as well sometimes) which I find extremely annoying since I LOVE them all. When I avoid high FODMAP foods I don't seem to have an issue. Perhaps you have a FODMAPs sensitivity?
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Just a thought, many of the veggie products and some cream cheeses contain carageenan which is know to cause some of the belly symptoms you are describing. It would be worth seeing if you can choose brands without it for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • Verity1111

Don't go crazy forcing yourself to eat food you don't like.

Do you like tofu?

I do now. I hated it then I tried it once more on a whim from a chinese place and it was good. I think I was having it cooked wrong...didnt want to buy it at home unless I liked it. There are different types? That confuses me lol anyway I like it when its either completely soft falling apart or crunchy/fried. I dont like the rubbery in between.
  • Verity1111
    edited March 2018
    try2again wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused, and forgive me if it's been mentioned & I missed it. Did you recently become a vegetarian and so this type of diet is completely new for you, or you've just swapped out some other things for some extra servings of vegetables? If so, what did your diet consist of before, especially if it didn't involve fruits or many vegetables? (Not trying to be difficult... just having a hard time grasping the situation.)

I think any sudden diet overhaul has the potential to be hard on the stomach. And personally, I would probably lose my appetite somewhat at the prospect of eating so many raw veggies, but that's just me.

I've been a vegetarian for 12 years. Vegetarian does not mean I ate healthy or even ate vegetables... I barely ate vegetables except in greasy food. If I ate take out it was breaded cauliflower, breaded mushrooms, nachos covered in veggies and cheese, veggie sandwiches on lots of bread or in a wrap with lots of sauce, pizza, pizza, pizza, pizza. Chips almost every single day, mock meat and sometimes eggs. Even once I made it LESS bad it was mostly frozen food and the veggies I had were all frozen premade in my pasta or w.e. I was eating. That is the type of food I ate. I have 3 kids like I said 2 have autism and are non-verbal. My entire family likes different food. My three year old only eats veggies now in weird ways even fresh jalapeno (he loves spicy food and foreign stuff I have no idea how to make). My 6 year old eats bland foods (mac and cheese, pb, banana, chips...pizza. pretty much sums it up) and my daughter isn't too picky but likes the opposite stuff from what her brother like the veggies my 3-year-old wont touch, mashed potatoes, veggie dogs, etc. So when I am cooking 3x3 = 9 + meals for my kids its easier to toss food in the microwave. Also, I hate fruit.
  • Verity1111
    Certain cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, and brussels sprouts as well as wheat give me a very full and often painful/uncomfortable feeling (and bowel issues as well sometimes) which I find extremely annoying since I LOVE them all. When I avoid high FODMAP foods I don't seem to have an issue. Perhaps you have a FODMAPs sensitivity?

or the opposite! The foods that bother me are not on the list but everyone is different right? So it could be something similar...
  • Verity1111
    edited March 2018
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    No peanut butter???? You could swap one of those meals for a peanut butter and jelly or peanut butter and banana. It'll be a lot less volume and peanut butter is delicious.

Or, instead of eating lettuce wraps, use a regular tortilla.

Ew. I absolutely positively HATE peanut butter. Literally hate it. One of my most hated foods.
    + highly allergic to banana. I don't like fresh peanuts either. Almonds are good. Almond butter? Lol.
  • Verity1111
    Crosbinium wrote: »
    Just a thought, many of the veggie products and some cream cheeses contain carageenan which is know to cause some of the belly symptoms you are describing. It would be worth seeing if you can choose brands without it for a few weeks and see what happens.

Thank you! I will look into that for sure.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    No peanut butter???? You could swap one of those meals for a peanut butter and jelly or peanut butter and banana. It'll be a lot less volume and peanut butter is delicious.

Or, instead of eating lettuce wraps, use a regular tortilla.

Ew. I absolutely positively HATE peanut butter. Literally hate it. One of my most hated foods.
    + highly allergic to banana. I don't like fresh peanuts either. Almonds are good. Almond butter? Lol.

Almond butter works. Or cashew butter. But the point is that every meal/snack doesn't have to be a vegetable fest. It would drive me nuts to eat that often and have to chew that much. Smaller portions of things with more calories hopefully won't feel so heavy.