Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Bumping this as it is a great thread to read and re-read :smile:
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    Bumping this as it is a great thread to read and re-read :smile:

Agreed!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Roadie2000 wrote: »
    lately I've just been decluttering all of my bad habits.

A couple months ago at my yearly checkup with my doctor I decided to swallow my pride and face the fact that I probably needed to be on antidepressants. I've dealt with the death of my father when I was a teenager and never really had a male role model to help me grow up. I lived by myself for a long time and developed some nasty habits throughout the years and never really let anyone get close to me.

I finally met an awesome girl and got married a couple years ago, I cleaned myself up a little bit but the depression was still there and a few lingering bad habits. Then last year my mother died and had a hard time dealing with it for a while. I thought it was temporary and was getting better but I would still fall into a funk fairly often and would shut out my wife which she had a huge problem with.

So anyway a couple months ago at my yearly doctor visit I decided to actually be honest with my doctor and he gave me a scrip. And to be honest, I don't "feel" any different really but I don't have the crippling low energy and my cravings for the bad habits I had for so long faded as well.

On my 41st birthday I decided to smoke my last cigarette. It wasn't even that hard unlike every other time I tried to quit. I figured if I could do that I could give up pop that I would drink almost every day for lunch. Then I stopped playing this mobile video game I was obsessed with for like 2 years. I stopped drinking alcohol except for a small glass of wine with dinner once in a while or social occasions. Pretty much all of my bad, embarrassing habits are now gone. And now with all of my new found energy, time, and ability to concentrate I've been going to the gym regularly, brushing up on my Spanish, reading, and learning how to cook. I'm finally starting to think this being an adult thing isn't so hard after all.

You are amazing. Thank you for sharing!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @Roadie2000 Yours is a heartwarming story. Totally mean that.

So happy for you that small changes have led to so much more health and happiness.
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    This is a great read!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member

A couple months ago at my yearly checkup with my doctor I decided to swallow my pride and face the fact that I probably needed to be on antidepressants. I've dealt with the death of my father when I was a teenager and never really had a male role model to help me grow up. I lived by myself for a long time and developed some nasty habits throughout the years and never really let anyone get close to me.

I finally met an awesome girl and got married a couple years ago, I cleaned myself up a little bit but the depression was still there and a few lingering bad habits. Then last year my mother died and had a hard time dealing with it for a while. I thought it was temporary and was getting better but I would still fall into a funk fairly often and would shut out my wife which she had a huge problem with.

So anyway a couple months ago at my yearly doctor visit I decided to actually be honest with my doctor and he gave me a scrip. And to be honest, I don't "feel" any different really but I don't have the crippling low energy and my cravings for the bad habits I had for so long faded as well.

On my 41st birthday I decided to smoke my last cigarette. It wasn't even that hard unlike every other time I tried to quit. I figured if I could do that I could give up pop that I would drink almost every day for lunch. Then I stopped playing this mobile video game I was obsessed with for like 2 years. I stopped drinking alcohol except for a small glass of wine with dinner once in a while or social occasions. Pretty much all of my bad, embarrassing habits are now gone. And now with all of my new found energy, time, and ability to concentrate I've been going to the gym regularly, brushing up on my Spanish, reading, and learning how to cook. I'm finally starting to think this being an adult thing isn't so hard after all.

You sir, are a first class winner AND all time champion, period. BOOM and YAY you and you rock, period. Thank you ever so VERY much for posting. o:)<3o:)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Since April 2015 when I started at MFP, I've lost 80 lbs and kept it off for 20 months. In that time, I've thrown out loads of old crap.

While I was losing weight, I had the pleasure of "shopping" in my wardrobe for skinnier clothes that fit me again.

I now fit all my favourite skinny clothes, and I've thrown out all my fat clothes. So many bags of clothes donated to the op shop!

I've also done a lot of spring-cleaning and de-cluttered the whole house, because I've become very active, and much less lazy.

NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis calorie-burning for the win!)

I've thrown out loads of books, and worn-out linen, and kitchen crap. The house feels so much nicer to live in.

I think my decluttering inspired my husband, as he's done a lot himself with his things since I started.

I love this thread, it's a refreshing topic!

THANK YOU ever so much for posting this. It made me smile inside and out and is so very helpful, insightful and super encouraging! I really LOVE what you've said about "NEAT" ( NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis calorie-burning for the win!) I've never heard of this before and again, I LOVE it!!! Also...just the way you've phrased everything is so powerful and joy inspiring. How I have to "blush" about "thrown out loads of books, and worn-out linen, and kitchen crap"...wow--likewise!

Lastly, my decluttering AND weight-loss quest and new mind-set as done something absolutely tremendous to my hubby and my relationship. We are soooo much closer now. We've always been very tight and deeply in love with one another, but we are just on a whole nother wave-length now and our entire way of communicating with each other is ultra FUN now and more COOL than ever. Relating to him now, our communication, respect, admiration and frankly love for each other and just our entire lives are blooming in ways that I can't fully explain here and I just love that!

Thank you again and again for contributing this most excellent reply--you so ROCK, period. <3o:)<3

:heart: What lovely things to hear! :smile: Thank you.

So happy to hear about your relationship with your husband. My relationship with mine is the best it's ever been too! When we talk to each other, we talk and make jokes. We can disagree without getting upset about it.

I used to be very afraid of conflict, and imagine it where there was just a minor point of difference, and have bouts of anxiety.

Now, I'm more confident, less tied to other people's opinions of me, and less hung-up about things. I'm still working on my anxiety and fear of social situations, but it doesn't stop me attending events and talking to people.

I really feel that weight loss, exercise, and creating art and a beautiful space around me has been an immense, symbiotic change for the better.

Thank you again for helping me think about this some more! :heart:

You're a beautiful person, inside and out and I just thank you so much for adding your loveliness, inspiration and encouragement to this thread, you ROCK, period. {{{{{ Highest of fives and Hugs to you}}}}} <3o:)<3
  • samjoy
    samjoy Posts: 119 Member

Thank you for your honesty - this post really touched me as I see a lot of myself in it....
  • samanthabsharp
    samanthabsharp Posts: 1 Member
    It's funny that I am reading this now. I actually just spent the evening trying on clothes and bagging up the ones that don't fit anymore so I can donate them. I have been maintaining my weight for a bit now and didn't see any reason to keep clothes that were too big and served no purpose. It felt good to declutter my closet and felt like I was accepting this body I have worked for and the person I have become. The only downside is my closet is a bit bare and my winter clothes selection needs beefing up a bit.

Donating clothes (especially nice ones, maybe even with the tags still on them) to homeless shelters, places for abused women and even just plain giving things away to neighbors, family, friends is so rewarding. At first, it hurts (helped me understand the old saying "give until it hurts" new meaning), but then it (giving stuff and/or throwing "EXCESS" stuff away) does something wonderful in and to me...breaks the chain(s) (stronghold) of resistance to/from so many other things and issues in my life that were "holding me back or hindering me in one form or another from either moving on or just simply changing for the better--wow.

Also, for those of us that don't care to be "bothered" with selling their stuff, consignment shops are another option too--for the nicer items that are just "hanging around" and collecting dust.

How uplifting and powerful you are to realize and know that you are "accepting" your new body and embracing the transformation/change in your lifestyle. How very cool--how FUN! Congrats on your victories and thank you so very much for taking the same to share on this thread--you ROCK, period. <3o:)<3

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great posts!!!!
  • TheAndyCook
    TheAndyCook Posts: 5 Member
    I have a ton of pictures too. I'm thinking about getting them scanned and giving the family digital albums.

Somehow I ended up being the designated Keeper of Memories. When my great uncle died, I was given all his photo albums. When both sets of grandparents died, and my mom downsized, I got the boxes of generations of photos. Then my mother in law insisted I accept a box of loose unorganized pictures of my husband’s entire life. Ugh!! I don’t scrapbook, but I have over time made some photo albums for myself and thrown away boxes of pictures. There were dozens of duplicates and scores of pictures of people nobody in the family could even identify! There were so many pictures of landscapes that were taken on other people’s vacations . None of these had dates on them. Now I’m left with just one storage tub, and have room finally for my own things in my sewing room closet. Such a huge relief!!

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    @Orphia that looks lovely!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!