How long is your workout?

Suly09
Suly09 Posts: 88 Member
How long do you workout for.....how long should a good workout be?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    This is very individual. Do you have fitness goals? Strength goals? Aesthetic goals?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Suly09 wrote: »
    How long do you workout for.....how long should a good workout be?

The AHA recommends 150 minutes of light activity per week for general health. Fitness goals beyond that would dictate what else and how much you would do.

In addition to general activity that amounts to around 8k-10k steps per day, I mostly cycle and lift weights. My rides are variable in terms of mileage as well as intensity and it also depends on whether I'm actively training for an event or just exercising for my fitness. A ride can range anywhere from a quick 8-10 mile ride which takes me around 30-35 minutes to a 20K (12 mile) time trial to a 25-50 mile endurance ride.

My weight room sessions typically take me 30-45 minutes depending.
  • Suly09
    Suly09 Posts: 88 Member
    I want to lose weight (about 20 pounds). I have no strength goals. Aesthetic would just be to keep my bum and thighs as is but lose mostly upper body weight. I know thats mostly impossible but I want to know how long a workout needs to be so that it will be effective. On lazy days my workouts are only about 15 minutes cardio and I feel thats not doing much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited April 2018
    I want to lose weight (about 20 pounds). I have no strength goals. Aesthetic would just be to keep my bum and thighs as is but lose mostly upper body weight. I know thats mostly impossible but I want to know how long a workout needs to be so that it will be effective. On lazy days my workouts are only about 15 minutes cardio and I feel thats not doing much.

Weight loss is going to be down to your diet and calorie deficit much more so than exercise.

In regards to exercise...it is something that you should not only do now in weight loss, but forever in maintenance so it's good to find something you enjoy doing so that you'll stick with it. As time goes, mine is variable and depends on other life obligations and whatnot...your exercise modality as well as time spent should be something that is sustainable very long term...and flexible.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018

Calorie deficit for losing body fat. Adequate protein in your diet (for muscle sparing as you lose weight) and find you a workout or program you enjoy doing. There is no optimal time it should be, it comes down to finding an optimal program designed to meet your goals, to maintain muscle find you a strength training program and follow it.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    I give myself an hour. I don't really have routine, but I try to give myself that 60 minutes to keep moving. Later on, I will find a more secure routine to follow.
  • TX_Matt
    TX_Matt Posts: 21 Member
    2 hours a day is what I am for x7
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Usually about 40-45 minutes, sometimes longer if I have time to do extras.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Mine vary from 9Rounds Kickboxing at about 30 minutes to an hour or so lifting at the gym. Generally I am no longer than an hour though.
  • selinab051483
    selinab051483 Posts: 6 Member
    I work out for about 1hr in a half. 1hr split between the stair climber and treadmill. 30min spent on abs and arms. Then im out!
  • The_Canadian_Apex
    The_Canadian_Apex Posts: 572 Member
    I used to spend 60-90 minutes doing a workout. Now I've switched to 30 minutes of cardio everyday before work and 30-40 minutes doing weights 4-5 times a week.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    At one point I did as little as 30 min of lifting 2-3x per week to maintain muscle while I lost my baby weight. Now that I am trying to build muscle my goals are different and I am in the gym more often and my sessions are longer (75 min, 4-5x per week).

As mentioned, it comes down to eating in a deficit to lose weight.. and optimal programming for your goals.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Is that what we are calling it now?
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member

Excercise is excercise ;)
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Momepro wrote: »

Exercise is exercise ;)

truth
  • Jrodasff
    Jrodasff Posts: 334 Member
    Crossfit 1 hour total. Includes warmup, stretch and workout
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Today I did about 55 minutes of lifting and 20 minutes of cardio. I’d say that’s about standard for me. I lift 4-5 days a week and do cardio 2-3.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    45 min - 90 min depending on what I do. If you add in cardio, 2 hoursish.