Is Anybody still doing step aerobics

Options
Hi, I fell in love with step aerobics 3 weeks ago. I am in late 20s and just discover this cardio. I am really suprised my heart rate is 75-80% of max hr. And it is really fun. Times go quickly and I am getting better.

I am wondering are there people who still do step aerobic? What results did you have, weight lose or did you tone body? What is your favorite video?

I am hoping to get firmer lower body and shred few pounds.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My mom loves step. I have a little Rubbermaid kitchen step I use with the Firm videos and a Carribbean Workout kickboxing/step workout. I thought it would be a weird combination, but it works and is a bit lower impact than other kickboxing workouts, like Turbo Jam or TurboFire. I just have to be careful since the area is much smaller than a regular step bench.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Loved it then, love it now. The Reebok step video with the drummers!! Gin Miller, i think?
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I am also a pretty new step addict, been doing it for a few months now. For something a little less daunting, look for Jenny Ford on YouTube, I LOVE her and have started doing her marching workouts too (mainly to stop myself doing step EVERY day as my knees complain about that lol)
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Me too, I recently joined a new gym and they have a Step class and its fab. I too was surprised at how high my HR is during this workout. I love it anyway!
  • Irir5
    Irir5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Jane Fonda. But I plan to try others videos on yt. My step bech heigh is 6'. It is pretty hard but time really fly. I am doing step 30 min 5x week and after that some body weight exercises. I notice my quads are getting firmer and my belly is going away.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It's great for legs. I did step a lot in the gym for about a year plus they use weights when moving arms, so my legs and arms definitely are more toned. Good cardio too.
  • glennon123
    glennon123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do, love a step workout. Check out Yvette Bachman on YouTube, she has some fabulous step workouts posted.
  • forever_body
    forever_body Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love steps...I do a class every week. I challenge myself by seeing how long I can go without a water break...right now I'm up to 30 mins

Keep going!
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love step aerobics! It fun, a throwback, effective, and you don’t need to go to the gym! I put on Bluetooth headphones and workout after I put the kid down for the night.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing step since...well...original Gin Miller! Had some vcr tapes for home, step classes at gym. For about 13 years, have had terrific step instructor at gym, I go to her power step classes at least 3x week, sometimes more. It’s my favorite cardio, fun, laugh a lot, heart rate gets right up there, burn plenty calories, keeps my knees limber. I periodically look at YouTube for good step videos but have yet to find any I really like.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    When I was healthy enough to go to the gym my favourite class was group step (which changed it's name to group blast. I went to that class 4-5 times a week.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Oh I often hit 190+ hr safely (didn't pass out or anything and hr fell quickly when I finished class) in my 30s.
  • Irir5
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My hr is at 85 % when I jump rope, never went higher. With Jane Fonda is around 75-80% and I don't even do any arm work yet.I did Reebok 1992 The Video tonight. I find it less intense. It is really good but hr is around 65%.
    I saw Yvette Bachman videos and they look too intense. I am not ready for trying at this point Lol. Jenny Ford looks great too.
    I really really like step aerobics. It is such a news to me. And there is still room to improve (doing arms, adding weight or even add ankle weights to legs, well about ankle weights I need to research more to see is it safe while stepping).
    I read some article saying it is most underated exercise along with clamshell nowdays.
  • FitMom527
    FitMom527 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love step aerobics! My church used to have it on a regular basis with a toning class afterwards. I was in great shape! Sadly they stopped the classes and although walking and the treadmill are good, my body started gaining weight a little bit each year. Actually, I was just looking at the good You Tubers that do step. I started using The Firm tapes in the 80's and was hooked. I just ordered the 43" step bench with the risers and honestly cannot wait to start back at home. I go to the gym for the treadmill and resistant weights, but I am now over 50 and with menopause I have gained 30 pounds. Nothing keeps my whole body toned and slimmed down like the step classes.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I used to do The Firm vids, and was always is terrific shape. After I got married however, I worked out at lunch at the gym, so switched to running, etc. Inexplicably (to me at the time), I started putting on weight.

After I read New Rules of Lifting for Women, I realized what a huge mistake I made dropping most of my weight training was. I dusted off my Firm steps (have 3 sizes lol), and started right back up. (Also alternate with StrongLifts)

They used to advertise "Results is 10 workouts", but I swear that you notice changes in one or two....
  • Irir5
    Options
    Is there one Firm video or more? I am hearing about Firm all time so I am thinking about ordering one.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Check out Kelly Coffey-Meyers 30 minutes to fitness series. She has dvds and a Vimeo page. She has a few step workouts, including two step-boxing workouts-which are kickboxing/step hybrids.
  • Irir5
    Options
    I will add her to my list of workouts I will try. Since I love those old videos, I did today Keli Roberts Ultimate step workout. Part 2 and 3 are really intense. I am really glad there are many of us still doing step :smile: And I hope you will write more since I can't find much on forums or anywhere about step aerobics experiences, reviews, before and afters...
  • Irir5
    Options
    I made a group. I hope you will join
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Look for Jenny Ford videos on YouTube.....she's a lot of fun. Look for Zombie Step around Halloween.

I like really simple step videos (I'm a klutz). Beginner step (just my speed) - Cathe Basic Step / Kari Anderson Go! /and Christie Taylor Mission Possible are favorites.