The biggest looser perspective

OK this is my LAST post for a while, I promise.

I just wanted to put some perspective on the show "The biggest looser"

Let's all remind ourselves that these people come in Morbidly obese, that means more then
100 and in some cases more then 200 lbs overweight. These people are doing nothing but
exercising under trained medical supervision.
Lets all remember that when we see people with 8 - 10 - 15 ...etc lbs lost in a week.

I love the show for what it is, and I watch it religiously, but remember, this isn't safe weight loss for most of us. Not even close. Remember, consistantly, for most people anything over 2 lbs a week is dangerous weight loss (unless you are very overweight, like more then 40 lbs or so, or very large in general, like over 250 lbs)

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    OK this is my LAST post for a while, I promise.

I just wanted to put some perspective on the show "The biggest looser"

Let's all remind ourselves that these people come in Morbidly obese, that means more then
    100 and in some cases more then 200 lbs overweight. These people are doing nothing but
    exercising under trained medical supervision.
    Lets all remember that when we see people with 8 - 10 - 15 ...etc lbs lost in a week.

I love the show for what it is, and I watch it religiously, but remember, this isn't safe weight loss for most of us. Not even close. Remember, consistantly, for most people anything over 2 lbs a week is dangerous weight loss (unless you are very overweight, like more then 40 lbs or so, or very large in general, like over 250 lbs)
  • I also like the show, and I appreciate the motivation it gives to people to loose weight.

HOWEVER, I have two big problems with the show. (1) It is a rare instance that the routines these people are doing to loose weight are told to the audience. There may be a tip here and there, but the majority of the show’s focus is on the drama and relationships. It’s certainly not outlining how to loose weight. (2) The show is blocked for two hours. That means I’m spending two hours of one evening staying rather sedentary watching this show. Usually as I watch the show I’m thinking, “I should really use this time to exercise instead of watching other people loose weight.” I know, I know is all about $$$$, I just wish that the producers would really let the show help people loose weight
  • tip there are lots of ways to workout while watching the television. i have a recumbent bike ive planted in front of the tv. the rule is if i want to watch i have to ride. hahaha.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I have a like/dislike feeling about the show. I think I've only watch one entire episode, but I still feel a connection to it.

I like watching people strive to lose weight. It makes me feel close to them in my own journey.
    I hate the fact that they are putting fat people (granted, with their consent) on display.

I want to watch the show, but feel it is exploitative.

Don't stop posting banks!
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    I personally love this show. And I think it takes a certain type of person to be able to loose that weight in front of millions of people, they wouldn't be there if they didn't want to. I know I couldn't do it, so I watch for two hours, enjoy it for what it is, and jog on my mini trampoline because they motivate me. That my two cents worth. Hope everyone has a wonderful day, im off to work.
    Dawn
  • My feeling is.....all their weight plus some will probably come back on. They're loosing it way too fast, and what normal person really works out that hard or that much everyday, or has a personal trainer living with them.

When they get back to the real world......well, lets just say, they better not throw out their fat pants.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    I do like the show, but it makes me sad that they look so defeated by "only" losing 3 pounds in a week. Heck it took me a year to lose 40 and some of them lost that in the first 3 weeks.

My kids watch it too and I have explained to them that the conditions they are losing the weight in is certainly not "real world" compatible. I don't want my kids to think that losing that amount of weight in a week is normal. It is not. I try to use the show to explain if they eat right now then hopefully they won't have the weight battle to fight later in life!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I really like the show, but I wish they would tell how tall the contestants are so people can put into perspective their own body image.

2 lbs is an aggressive plan, even for those with over 100 lbs to loose. I talked to my doctor several times about weight loss and I started with 107 lbs to loose and he has always maintained that if I start to loose more than 2 lbs a week I need to pull back. Now that is 2lbs a week on average according to him, or 8 lbs a month.

I also plateau every 10lbs, like clockwork. So every 10 lbs I have to completely adjust everything I am doing from exercise to food and everything in between to get through the next 10 lbs.

The winner from the first season is fat again, not as big but he was in a commercial about a year after and he looked like he had put on at least 1/2 the weight. Slow and steady really does win the race, and we all can't leave our jobs for 3 months and be forced to workout for a minimum of 5 hours a day!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    My feeling is.....all their weight plus some will probably come back on. They're loosing it way too fast, and what normal person really works out that hard or that much everyday, or has a personal trainer living with them.

When they get back to the real world......well, lets just say, they better not throw out their fat pants.

Not sure I agree totally with you here. I do to a degree, I think some of them will gain it back, but I do think the trainers are trying to instill in them the idea of changing their lifestyle. And with the constant monitoring, preperation they give them for the real world, and the amount of time they are doing this for (3 months, remember), I think that at least some of them will keep the weight off. I guess if even a couple of them change permenantly, then the show is a moral sucess (although I doubt the producers care a lot about morality). I'm pretty sure Jillian and Bob care about these people. The thing I can't believe is that they would talk about their underlying issues as openly as some of them do on national TV. I wouldn't even want to come near that. Ask me about my personal issues, and I look around twice before I begin to make sure nobody is within shouting distance.
  • Nich0le
    Statistically 95% of us will put our weight and then some back on after loosing weight. It truly is a lifetime of change and there are a lot of people out there that get to their goal weight and then feel like they can eat again and that is when the yo yo starts to roll.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    I like the show....but I like this site better!!!! We are all on here with the hopes to make some improvements to our bodies, making us healthier people!!! And we encourage each other and take pride in our losses, or gains for those who need to add some weight, and we support each other in achieving healthy weights and positive body images!!! To me, this site is giving me the support, encouragement and motivation to live healthy and learn to love my body and take pride in what I am able to achieve!
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    I love the show and I watch it for the drama. It is not a real world senerio of how you should lose weight and I would never use it as a "How to lose weight" example. I don't think anyone has that much time to commit to exercise unless you have no family, friends or job. I also love seeing the results in the end. It's amazing how different they look after 6 months (3 months on camera, 3 months after show at home). I am sure some of them put back on some weight but if they follow a nutitional diet and exercise, they will sure to lose it again and maintain. Again, comes down to will power and devotion.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2007/07/04/the_biggest_loser_where_are_they_now.php

Great article about this topic. If I see one more mid-show commercial for subway, the brita water filter, or the 100-calorie pack (which I believe is the low-tar cigarette of our generation, but that's another story) . . .l

let's just say I'm really grateful I tivo the thing.

That being said, I cannot stop watching. Damn.

:flowerforyou:
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2007/07/04/the_biggest_loser_where_are_they_now.php

Great article about this topic. If I see one more mid-show commercial for subway, the brita water filter, or the 100-calorie pack (which I believe is the low-tar cigarette of our generation, but that's another story) . . .l

let's just say I'm really grateful I tivo the thing.

That being said, I cannot stop watching. Damn.

I agree about the commercials. I DVR it so I can skip right past them. I do hate how the trainers tell the contestants to eat at Subway and the 100 cal packs etc because they HAVE to promote the products. Would the trainers still tell the contestants to eat them if they weren't sponsers? I don't think so since Subway, though low in cals and fat, have alot of sodium. I like some of the 100 cal packs but they certainly don't curb my hunger, they just taste good and satisfy my taste buds.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    I absolutely love the show but as I have said in previous posts, it is getting a little dramatic for my liking...and I agree, enough with the commercials for Jenny O Turkey, Wrigly gum, the calorie packs, Brita....etc. Airing out your laundry makes for good tv and so does drama - apparently. This is the exact reason I stopped watching survivor. But, with the writers strike making the show an two hours I guess was a good decision. To be honest, I usually watch the show with popcorn and diet coke and its my night off. I will watch them work out instead of me : )

With that said, I do truly think it is a great motivator for people. Yes, they are going to gain some or all of the weight back when the go back to real life which is different for all of us. We are already losing weight at our own pace, eating what we make for ourselves, counting our own calories, how many minutes we are working out and we know for the most part what we are doing. Plus, we have started to get our friends and family "turned on" to this new way of life and eating. These people are left to go home and lose more weight and then go back and win money. That in itself is a motivating factor. I would eat only veggies for a couple of months too if there was a possiblilty of winning a large sum of money.

I say enjoy the show for what its worth and hopefully you can pick up a tip or two that you can use yourself at home. People on TV are never "real" anyway. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes that we don't know about!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    I watch it too when I can....and take it for what it is....it does motivate me to do what I need to do for me....me who doesn't live at a ranch for a few months and is able to be supplied w/ the right foods, personal trainers, and all night gym if I need ....but still I get motivated LOL

I absolutely love when they show how well the person being sent home is doing now....that's what really motivates me...like they did it on thier own! omg and some of those people look darn good at the end of the show when they all come back...some are better than the last three standing! I'm like YOU GO!!! lol....but I'm happy for them all!

( I agree I like this place better too btw!)
    hugs!
    Ali
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Great article about this topic. If I see one more mid-show commercial for subway, the brita water filter, or the 100-calorie pack (which I believe is the low-tar cigarette of our generation, but that's another story) . . .

LMFAO!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I believe the 100 calorie pack to be equivelant to the low tar cigarette too! If you want a treat, buy the real thing and portion it for crying out loud! Not to mention the 100 cal packs cost more than double ounce for ounce! And if anyone says those little oreo crackers satisfy your craving for an oreo tell me where you get your crack because I'm going to need it if If it makes me dream that big!
  • I too, watch the biggest loser and in another post I mentioned the book "Where Did all the Fat Go" by the doctor who supervises on the show. I haven't finished the book yet but he talks a lot about what we don't see. The contestants are seriously screened for health problems to make sure that they can do the show. This doctor is actually writing about the home contestants. My husband hates the show because he feels that being "bullied" is not motivating at all. I like the show and do find it motivating but I do feel that there isn't enough diet/exercise etc focus. diana
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Keep posting all you want Banks...you are awesome:flowerforyou: