Anyone else working late evenings? How do you meal plan?

Hi everyone,

I recently started a new job and am working from around 5pm to 2am, so home by 2:30 am, in bed by 3, 4-5x a week. I'll be up between 10 and 10:30 am Monday - Friday. I don't do very well without a structured eating plan (especially with a new schedule) so I'd love some insight. Do you eat your last meal at work during break? Or do you wait until you're home and eat late? Do you try to delay breakfast?

I know everyone is different, but I've tried a few difference tactics and all have left me feeling hungry despite eating protein and being near my calorie goal so thanks again for your help.

Replies

• jenndiddy
    jenndiddy Posts: 9 Member
    I work 5 pm - 12 AM. I did start to push my meals to later. Breakfast is around 10-11, Lunch around 2 and dinner at 8. Last night I made 4 meals for the week and cut a ton of veggies for late night snacks. I always save a few tablespoons of my work dinner, so when I come home I’m less likely to raid the fridge and I’ve already logged the food. My issue is being able to sleep after work, but I’m too wired
  • rezart
    rezart Posts: 12 Member
    The best thing you can do is take 2-3 hours out of one of the week-days or weekend, (it does not matter which day) and cook and prep for the week, or at least 3-4 days worth of food, you will save your sanity and health.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    I eat like normal as far as 3 meals plus snacks. But my day just starts later. I always make sure to have around 300 calories left for when I get home after work. That way when I get home I have lots of options.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Hi everyone,

I recently started a new job and am working from around 5pm to 2am, so home by 2:30 am, in bed by 3, 4-5x a week. I'll be up between 10 and 10:30 am Monday - Friday. I don't do very well without a structured eating plan (especially with a new schedule) so I'd love some insight. Do you eat your last meal at work during break? Or do you wait until you're home and eat late? Do you try to delay breakfast?

I know everyone is different, but I've tried a few difference tactics and all have left me feeling hungry despite eating protein and being near my calorie goal so thanks again for your help.

I'd like to look at your calories, protein, fat, and fiber, but while your diary is open, there weren't any entries for the last week.

If you don't have a medical reason to track both Sugar and Sodium, I suggest swapping one of them for Fiber.
  • EllieElla2015
    EllieElla2015 Posts: 67 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to look at your calories, protein, fat, and fiber, but while your diary is open, there weren't any entries for the last week.

If you don't have a medical reason to track both Sugar and Sodium, I suggest swapping one of them for Fiber.

Yeah, I don't really track anymore. I've been in maintenance for a while now and only hop back on if i go up a few pounds. I think I'm going to start tracking again though, until I get in a routine with this new schedule. And will do re: fiber :)
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited April 2018
    If I’m working late I’ll eat dinner at work and have a snack or a smaller second dinner depending on how late I’m working. I just have dinner when I’m hungry unless work is providing the dinner. Tonight I had dinner around 7:30 pm and worked until about 11:30 pm. I don’t delay breakfast, but I also start work usually between 8-9:30 am.