How to stay on track

How do you stay on track

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I know for certain that I get off track when I don't log.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    I've kept logging as well.

Maintenance, for me, is just like eating in a calorie deficit but with a few more calories in my budget.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I keep setting new goals
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Weigh myself and log all of my food and exercise cals daily.

I also chart/graph my weight in Excel and Libra and chart/graoh and correlate all of my cals/macros vs weightvon Excel . . .

but that's extra. ;) LOL!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Plan/log food, daily weighing, being active every day, focus on balance, everyday life, and "intermediate" gratification.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I check in here every morning and begin logging for the day.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 930 Member
    Remember all the reasons you put weight on & don't do it again....lol

This is my third round of weight loss to a healthy body weight. I gained before because of mindless eating. Eating & drinking whatever I wanted & with no limits...

An idle mind & hands are the devils work shop.!!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    By not getting off track; the only thing that changes is the daily calorie goal - keep weighing, keep logging, keep active and (IMO most importantly) keep caring. Disclaimer - I have yoyoed in the past and haven't been in maintenance long this time, but this is what I am doing differently this time and feel highly confident that it will work.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Keep your goal in mind and remind yourself why you started. Be diligent with your tracking and I also like to keep track of my daily weigh ins with my libra app.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I do not intend to log forever. But never a day will pass that I don’t get on the scale and adjust accordingly.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    I weigh myself daily. For now I log daily too. I may or may not log forever, but for now it does help keep me on track and as long as it does and it isn't burdensome then I will keep doing it.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    After maintaining for a couple of years, I had stopped logging my food, though I was always happy to input my workouts. Still, at the end of 2017, my weight crept up a couple of lbs more than I wanted. I found a group here on MPF that was active from January-March 2018; the objective was simply to share personal weight goal, weigh in weekly and keep accountable. That small group was just the boost that I needed to get my head back into the game and I lost those couple of unwanted pounds. So, my answer to the OP is that I stay mindful: I weigh myself daily, work out every day, and keep hanging around MPF.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I’ve only maintained for 8 months and have times that I don’t log. But, I weigh myself daily when possible, and am careful what I eat. I’ve regained before when I stopped logging and weighing. This time I keep my eye on the scale. If I go above my high point I start logging again in losing range so I get my head and body back in the game.

I count mentally as I don’t have much variety in my meals and know the calories. On the weekends I’ll treat myself to bigger portions, or this weekend I had 2 1/2 donuts. (Ugggg). I work on not letting go, but not feeling deprived. Also, I stopped drinking 8 months ago, and that has made all of the difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Maintenance for 5 years. Healthy habits are in place. I also enjoy the way I eat and regular exercise, so it's not a terribly big deal. I eat a very wide variety of foods and I'm a good cook, so I know how to make nutritious delicious as well.

I'm also not terribly fond of many of the things that many people seem to want to eat a lot of like fast food, sweets, etc. I had McDonald's a couple of weekends ago on a road trip as my options were really limited...hadn't had it in years. About an hour later I had to stop at a rest stop...that *kitten* literally went right through me.

My biggest indulgences are pizza (Friday nights with the fam) and pub grub which I eat maybe once per month.
  • bduanemyfitness
    bduanemyfitness Posts: 75 Member
    I am pretty new to MFP and my history before that shows I do not stay on track well.

That being said, I am staying on track now by:
    1) having a long-term goal (getting/keeping A1C and Chol, etc under control)
    2) manageable mid-term goal (lighter me for backpacking this summer)
    3) Short Term Goals (lose 5lb in March, etc)
    4) watching portions, not eliminating anything specific
    5) not obsessing about the short-term weight swings

I feel that this will work well.
    The long-term goal is for a healthier me for the long-term. I see my older siblings with health issues (marginal diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, etc) that are associated with their excepp weight. And my MD mentioned starting me on meds when I was 40lbs heavier. I lost weight and there is no need for the meds.

My mid-term goal is very achievable, but will challenge me a little. I will be backpacking on two trips, carrying a lighter me. That is good. The experiences of the Grand Canyon and 10+ days in New Mexico will be awesome. Once done, I just add another goal (Yellowstone, Canyonlands, Yosemite, Glacier, back to the Grand Canyon, a weekend in the DAKS, etc) and keep that goal in mind.

Short terms goals that are SMART always work for me. The goal is specific and measurable. It is achievable, relevant and timely. After a month or so, I have positive feedback. Works well for me to have small bites in the big challenge.

I imagine I will need to watch my portions forever. What the heck, if I go on medications I will need to remember to take them every day in the right dosage (easy because someone defines it). So it seems almost as easy to watch my portions (measure if needed) and manage my issues that way.

Ever hopeful
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    I've figured out a realistic, long term plan for myself. I'm very 'seasonal' in my weight management-spring/summer I'm much more focused and then during the fall/winter I allow myself wiggle room since my schedule is very hectic. I've built in a small weight gain during those months and then I lean back out during the summer.