Things you learn while getting healthy!

OHammykins
OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
edited April 2018 in Motivation and Support
I'm a huge fan of the "What nobody tells you about losing weight" thread here and was inspired to start one of the same ilk (apologies if it has been done already!).

I thought it'd be nice to talk about some of the things we have learned while striving for health, fitness and general well being!
  • Exercising is addictive!
  • Strength/resistant training is amazing fun :smiley:
  • The above will *not* automatically make you "bulky" - you need to work hard for that!
  • Having a supportive community around you is a great way to stay on track.

I'm sure I'll think of more!

Replies

• jacesmom4930
    jacesmom4930 Posts: 25 Member
    How much you end up hating or being grossed out some of the unhealthy foods you used to love. The smell of old deep fryer grease makes me nauseous. I never thought I’d hate pop or fried food. Now I can’t touch the stuff.
  • OHammykins
    I've learned I don't like running but I love kettlebells <3
  • REDMANIV
    REDMANIV Posts: 348 Member
    That not all carbohydrates are created equally. That I can still have some of my favorite Carbs however choose not to indulge anymore due to what they do to my body. That that unhealthy bulge around my waistline can go down with proper food selections, proper portions and dedication to fitness. Still a long way to go however having a like minded community supporting me really really helps!
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    A low fat diet, must not become a too low fat diet, as I discovered the hard way.

Using mfp as a tool to monitor macros for health, not just cutting calories, for weight loss.

Enjoying food far more now, while restricting calorie eaten, I've learnt to enjoy my meals and make every calorie count.

• funneefase
    funneefase Posts: 11 Member
    Hello. My name is Tina, and I am a sugar addict. The struggle is real, but the weight loss and sense of accomplishment is exhilarating.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    That not everyone appreciates your passion about being healthy, and it's best to spend time with folks who do, to prevent stumbling along the way. Birds of a feather and all.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    My body can do things i never thought possible.
    Small steps are the key to success.
    I CAN do it!
  • OHammykins
    I've learned that accepting and loving your body doesn't happen over night. It's a gradual day-by-day, week-by-week process that sometimes takes a lot of hard work!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    You don't know what you have until it's gone. When I regained some weight quickly it felt like I was moving through molasses. I never noticed how much more energy I had and how easier it was to move when you're thinner because the change was radual.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Weight loss plateaus are normal! Don't worry, keep going! You will break through them and start losing again. It's your body's way of readjusting to your new weight.