Trader Joe’s suggestions

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    The Green Goddess dressing (fresh foods section) is fantastic and only 22 cals per serving.

Also love the Goat Milk Creamy Cheese on my bagels (that I make with Everything But The Bagel Seasoning using the Easy Bagel recipe from Skinnytaste). The Everyday Seasoning grinder is also really yummy on all kinds of veggies.

They had a chicken & shitake stir fry that was pretty low in calories and high in protein that I picked up last time I was there. I made up a batch of that with some cauliflower rice for my lunches this week.

Oh! And low fat shredded mozzarella, only 45 calories per oz and melts beautifully.
  • davidrip1
    davidrip1 Posts: 70 Member
    save
  • susanpasq
    susanpasq Posts: 16 Member
    Lots of my favorites have already been mentioned but I don't think I saw the lemon squares. They are in the freezer section - one square is 80 calories and satisfies my desire for a sweet treat. On a non-food note, the glucosamine tablets for dogs are very reasonably priced.
  • thegeans
    thegeans Posts: 42 Member
    amh927 wrote: »
    Fiberful bars, nuts, yogurt, eggs, milk, premade salads, frozen Indian food (butter chicken and rice is less than 300 cal!).

The butter chicken is the best thing there but beware the deceptive packaging! See this thread for why: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10600637/trader-joes-butter-chicken-conflicting-nutritional-info/p1
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    simcon1 wrote: »
    @DX2JX2 I have to beg to differ on the salmon jerky... my whole family loves it! That said, more than one of us have expressed envy of the dog’s jerky (also from TJ’s), so YMMV for sure! :D

LOL. I think I would have liked it if it had a sweeter smokiness and more pepper. As it stood, the fishy odor combined with a weird lingering artificial ginger flavor was totally offputting (and my family tends to like everything, even very fishy types of fish).
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    sofchak wrote: »
    Think I’m the third one to say it - their Everything but the Bagel seasoning is awesome! Put it on avocado... mmmmm

Confession: throughout this entire thread, I thought everyone was saying "everything is good at Trader Joe's EXCEPT FOR THE bagel seasoning"

I wondered just how horrible this bagel seasoning could possibly be. Now I have to laugh!!

Lol :lol:
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    cauliflower fried rice!!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Vanilla meringues! 4 cookies for 90 calories.

These too!!!!! SO GOOD. Taste like the marshmallows in lucky charms to me!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    That place gives me anxiety. Trader Joes in NYC. No thanks. Also their delicious stuff is super calorie dense.

That canned smoked trout though, I'm down with. Still not gonna go there just to get it.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Teriyaki chicken (frozen). Pure protein for 150kcal per serving.
    TJ's greek yogurt
    Lamb Vindaloo (frozen)
    But the BEST is....
    Chocolate covered espresso toffee pillows! They are available on the shelves at checkout.. 22 "pillows" of heaven for 70kcal...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited April 2018
    mengqiz86 wrote: »
    Why there and not literally any other store? Trader Joe's is not some Holy Mecca of food shopping.

Who hurt you?

Trader Joe, apparently.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    That place gives me anxiety. Trader Joes in NYC. No thanks. Also their delicious stuff is super calorie dense.

That canned smoked trout though, I'm down with. Still not gonna go there just to get it.

I go to TJs in NYC too. Rarely. I can't do the lines, and most of the good stuff is gone.

I like their veggie, chicken, tuna, and salmon burgers, reduced carb tortillas, cauliflower fried rice, mini wontons, gyoza sauce, Os cereal, mini artisan rolls, Reduced guilt guac, eggplant spread, and kale dip.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member

I go to TJs in NYC too. Rarely. I can't do the lines, and most of the good stuff is gone.

I like their veggie, chicken, tuna, and salmon burgers, reduced carb tortillas, cauliflower fried rice, mini wontons, gyoza sauce, Os cereal, mini artisan rolls, Reduced guilt guac, eggplant spread, and kale dip.

I know! The lines move pretty fast but seeing it wrapped around the store...heart starts pounding. I used to hit up the one on the upper west side once in awhile. The lines at the Brooklyn one don't look as bad but not worth lugging groceries home on the subway.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited April 2018

I know! The lines move pretty fast but seeing it wrapped around the store...heart starts pounding. I used to hit up the one on the upper west side once in awhile. The lines at the Brooklyn one don't look as bad but not worth lugging groceries home on the subway.

I've been to the one in NYC near NYU (maybe across from Food Emporium?). It was crazy busy like everything in NYC, but it moved quickly (like everything in NYC). I didn't know there was one in Brooklyn. My daughter lives there, but I have no idea where it is in relation to her.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I absolutely love their Soy Chorizo, I always stock up on it when I go, it freezes well and it's very flavorful (albeit salty). Also, they have frozen grilled peppers and onions, they already have an a great grilled flavor to them and are perfect to throw in a quick stir-fry. Our other favorites are not really low-calorie but make perfect snacks/treats, like their cheese selection and the Mini Mint Ice Cream Mouthfuls (you can have TWO of the little ice cream sandwiches for 120 calories).
  • csch79
    csch79 Posts: 37 Member
    Crumpets. They aren't the best crumpets but they are pretty good and the only place I can find them. I do not like the cinnamon ones though.
  • MelissaDoc
    MelissaDoc Posts: 71 Member
    Trader Joe's is part of my weekly grocery shopping!
    Stir fry vegetables
    Cauliflower fried rice
    Thanksgiving cauliflower rice
    Garlic Sriracha sauce and the soyaki sauce are great on everything!
    Chicken sausages
    Bagels
    Chicken burrito bowls
    Chicken Tikka marsala

These are all staples of my week
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Here their fresh fruit is good and cheaper. However, their tomatoes suck.

Unfortunately I can't find a tomato that doesn't suck :(.

Grow your own or buy grown locally in season.

This is what I do for peaches - supermarket peaches are like something else entirely.
  • srosenthal1225
    srosenthal1225 Posts: 44 Member
    I love the Mahi Mahi Burgers , the mushroom risotto, frozen asparagus, the chicken burgers, the egg white salad..