Most important things to avoid injury when running?

I'm about to sign up for my first 10k and am terrified of injuring myself while training. What are the key things to avoid injury when running?

Replies

• AE0626
    AE0626 Posts: 5 Member
    Good quality, properly fitted (as in at a running shop) shoes.
    If you've not run much before train using C210K or a similar method to build up stamina.
    Don't overtrain!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Make sure you have enough time. 10-18 weeks is good, depending on what your running "base" is.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    lampposts, trees, dogs .. avoid these !

seriously though, doing too much too soon trying to go too fast too soon, running when you are tired and repeatedly slamming your feet into the ground hurting your legs .. your typical over training stuff
  • cookster82
    cookster82 Posts: 39 Member
    Incorporate strength training into your routine - helps your ligaments, tendons, and muscles deal with the impact of running.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Get new shoes and ease yourself into it.

Build your mileage volume gradually and run all of your miles at an easy speed. If you can't speak in close to full sentences while you run, you're running too fast. It's best to use a c210K program or something similar as a guide.

Do not worry about adding any runs faster than an easy pace until you regularly run closer to 20 miles per week. Since it sounds like you're a beginning runner, this means that you'll likely be more than fine with zero speedwork in your training schedule.

If something hurts when you run, stop running until it doesn't hurt anymore.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Land lightly. Don't stomp or clomp. Run slower. That's probably the hardest advice to follow, but it's good advice, anyway.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    All of the above. And don't skip rest days. Your body needs a break or you will increase odds of injury.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Also come join us at the monthly running challenge for support & advice if you like. We have people doing C25K all the way up to sponsored Ultra marathoners.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10655854/april-2018-monthly-running-challenge#latest
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    Pay attention to terrain. Sometimes just inadvertently landing on a small rock can tweak your ankle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I'm about to sign up for my first 10k and am terrified of injuring myself while training. What are the key things to avoid injury when running?

Generally with a new runner I'd work to find a way of building up mileage and frequency in a way that works for their lifestyle. There are a number of canned plans leading up to a 10K distance, so there is no need to create a new one. Do a bit of a search for training plans.

If you don't already run, and you have suitable shoes already I generally wouldn't advocate specifically buying new shoes for the first month or so. It takes a bit of time to settle to a running style, so if you spend a lot on shoes now you may find that there inappropriate in a few weeks. That said, I would recommend dedicated running shoes after that period. No need to go for gait analysis, but it can have a place for some people.

I'd support the suggestion upthread of strength training of some kind. Most training plans for new runners will run alternate days, so use the off days for some form of complimentary training.

The main thing is to relax, enjoy the running and not worry about it.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Wear good shoes that fit your running style. Add distance gradually--usually no more than 10% of your distance per week. Vary your runs--some road, some track, some treadmill. To keep "balanced" go both directions on your track runs and pay attention to which way the road or the sidewalk crowns/slopes. Stretch or do yoga--and pay attention to your hips/glute strength--running involves mostly the quads/hamstrings, but hip/glute strength is necessary for proper tracking and without it you can develop knee issues.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    My main advice would be to really pay attention to your body. If something hurts and feels "off" don't try to push through it. If that pain is the beginnings of an overuse injury then trying to push through it is only going to lead to a more significant injury.

It can be tough to tell the difference between mild DOMS that you can push through and the beginnings of an injury. For me it is more about where the pain is and exactly how it feels. Pain in your shins/knees/feet probably needs to be paid attention to. For me pain in my quads/groin is more from using muscles running I don't use as much in other exercise I do.
  • Finafoshizzle93
    Finafoshizzle93 Posts: 157 Member
    Thanks all! I did a 5k fun run recently for work so I'm more looking to challenge myself and build endurance safely. Definitely don't want an injury--I'm annoying as hell when I cant exercise! Im signing up for the 10k in September and am super excited to have a goal to work towards. Appreciate all the advice.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    My experience is that most new runners get shin splints at some point or another, usually early on in starting, as they increase their mileage.
    So, should you start feeling pain in the front of your shins, back off on the mileage for a bit. If you can prevent it from becoming super aggravating, your shins will adapt sooner.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,511 Member
    For me... My injury started when I didn't pay good attention to stretching out after I was done running.

I used to stretch my legs and back gently after my run, but then I changed my schedule and ended up hopping in the car to head home right after. I got a thigh injury shortly after that my pt felt was tied to the muscles being too wound up.

I've never been really bendy, but it's really helpful when youre doing distance training.