Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm actually interested in a conversation here, so it would be nice to know what the person who marked my post "woo" disagrees with in it. Seems silly not to actually engage in a thread like this.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm actually interested in a conversation here, so it would be nice to know what the person who marked my post "woo" disagrees with in it. Seems silly not to actually engage in a thread like this.
    I didn;t but the woo is bad?...I thought woo was good lol.
  • urloved33
    edited April 2018
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    quebot wrote: »
    It’s a huge problem. We deliver “snack packs” to families with kids that have asked for help.
    Not one of these families has ever said “thanks” but instead has requested specific free foods.
    Soda and other snack food on EBT...no.
    When all else fails one could actually join the workforce.

Every person I know personally who receives food stamps, does so gratefully, and also works 50 or more hours a week. What about demanding a livable wage instead of assuming every poor person is lazy?

Livable wages, while a very prominent and powerful political rallying cry, are a self-defeating proposal - ask any of the small business owners who used to have businesses in downtown Seattle or San Fran.

I think I've made this observation upthread, but if a business doesn't pay people enough, and they need state support, then that's essentially a subsidy to the business owner. Is it appropriate that the state keeps businesses afloat?

No it isn't - it is a subsidy of the life choices that the EMPLOYEE made, not the business owner. Put the responsibility where it belongs. The employer made a contract with the employee - you work for me, I pay you 'x'. As long as the employer keeps up his side of the bargain, he has satisfied his responsibility. Anything beyond that falls squarely on the shoulders of the employee.

I disagree with this completely. business have an obligation to have a social and communal conscious and make the appropriate contribution to its people and community. AND if that company cant do it on their own the gvt has a right and obligation to impose it.

With statements like this....it is very easy to see how fascist regimes get their foot hold.

i feel like i'm in Orwell's 1984

you two guys are too funny...who ended slavery? THE GOVERNMENT...the government DOES impose social norms and community contributions either by law or PRESSURE or money. right now social norms and community contributions are being changed and pushed backwards...by our new president and his business buddies - where do you live under a rock?

...but you believe you can forcibly take the labor of one man to give to another?

Sounds like you would have been on the losing side of that war.

I have never been on welfare, food stamps or any other kind of assistance. so no I am not losing any war. READ CURRANT EVENTS...that should help you.

Currant events? Like wine tastings?

- - no like the congressional hearings w facebook ceo. O I FORGOT GVT DOES NOT REGULATE BUSINESSES :D or make them do what is best for society or communities . :D:D:D
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I didn;t but the woo is bad?...I thought woo was good lol.

Nope

Although fwiw I'm glad that my observations are upsetting someone.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    FransessM wrote: »
    The government is trying to do what it can to control the child obesity epidemic. It is obvious that parents are failing to make smart decisions so micro management is the only way. Freedom is a fine thing, but without responsibility it is a detriment.

Things are more complex than just 'parents are failing'. When you have a government that looks the other way when these mega corporations put everything including poison to preserve the shelf life of products and make it so hard for small farmers to compete it costs you an arm and a leg to eat healthy then we shouldnt just pin this on parents. Capitalism ensures profits will be above any health concerns, point blank. Whatever makes the food and drug industry make more money, even if it means more cancer, more diabetes and more obesity, then that is what will happen.

Pretty sure there's no poison being added to any US foodstuffs.

Pretty sure you are wishful thinking. Plenty of articles to back my statement up. Quite sure the USA looks the other way on things we ban here in Europe. http://www.eatthis.com/worst-food-additives
    http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-your-life/13-banned-foods-still-allowed-us
    http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/banned-europe-safe-us/

Eat This, Not That and Shape magazine. Don't recognize the third. :/

You will find a fault with any article I post. Do the search yourself. I posted the first three articles from a google search that yielded thousands. Want an RT one? https://www.rt.com/usa/banned-additives-food-outlawed-089/
    The Chicago Tribune? http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-21/news/ct-met-banned-food-practices-20130121_1_safety-of-food-additives-bvo-ingredient

Face it. A country that pays the drug industry hundreds for medicines that costs pennies elsewhere will lobby and benefit from an unhealthy population. On both ends of the issue. Obesity, cancer and diabetes epidemic is not just because people are overeating, its because the food is not healthy at all.

Obesity IS because people are overeating. Diabetes IS because people are overeating.

I honestly don't know enough about cancer, but I do know "all things in moderation" and most cancer studies (rats and aspertame comes to mind) is because they fed the subjects 100s of times the normal amount.

If a food is legitimately laced with poison, then it will put you in the hospital. Immediately. Clickbait "science" articles are just fear-mongering woo.

Not all diabetes is caused from over eating. My Dad is very thin and 140 pounds. He eats like a bird, yet he developed diabetes. I do agree though that most diabetes could be avoided if people did become obese from over eating and eating crapola.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I tend to be liberal in the original, classical sense of the word

Interesting self definition. I'd consider your words as suggesting anarchist, or minarchist. Haven't followed the link but I'm familiar with the Mises Institute. They have a very close association with the Adam Smith Institute here.

The ASI do tend to be a bit more real world though. Their consulting business had a lot of activity in the developing world, that's been quite successful. I'm not sure how they're doing now, when the liberal party exited government and we went to a conservative majority they've lost some influence.

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I tend to be liberal in the original, classical sense of the word

Interesting self definition. I'd consider your words as suggesting anarchist, or minarchist. Haven't followed the link but I'm familiar with the Mises Institute. They have a very close association with the Adam Smith Institute here.

The ASI do tend to be a bit more real world though. Their consulting business had a lot of activity in the developing world, that's been quite successful. I'm not sure how they're doing now, when the liberal party exited government and we went to a conservative majority they've lost some influence.

Not self-definition, that is how liberal was defined in the 19th Century. The word was co-opted to mean something other than liberal.

True liberalism doesn't really care about how individuals behave other than if they bring harm to others. They don't care who you marry or if the bakery will or won't bake a cake for the wedding. Each has the freedom to do their own thing and live with the natural, not government imposed consequences, good or bad.

I find Republicans and Democrats simply different sides of the authoritarian coin. Neither better than the other when it comes to preserving freedom and liberty.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

So all taxation should be voluntary?

Here in the US, I certainly believe DC should be out of just about everything that cannot be done locally. The role of the Federal G is pretty small going by the Constitution.

This isn't an all inclusive list, but it give the reader an idea of what I believe the Federal G should be involved with.

Defense (and we can argue if it really needs to be as much as the next 10 nations defense budgets combined.)

Foreign Policy

Federal Judiciary -- To make sure people don't try to make slavery and other freedom violations legal again.

That's pretty much it. We don't need to send money to DC so that politicians can argue about who gets to buy votes in their district with it. So that stop light, or school, or county road project or whatever doesn't need money taken from Lawrence Kansas and sent to Mississippi or Minnesota or Montana. Let them figure out how they want to fund their schools, stop lights and other road projects withOUT DC power brokers trading favors for their benefit, not necessarily the taxpayer.

I'm more amenable to local taxation. But really think other than public safety, most things should be handed and funded in a voluntary fashion.

I know it will never happen. So, at the very least, I want my waste, fraud and abuse local so I can go talk to the legislator who is spending this money at the local diner, instead of him or her being a thousand or more miles away in DC where I can never speak to him and where she doesn't really live here with the consequences of the choices made far, far away.

So we just differ on the scope of what should be funded voluntarily, the scope of what actually serves the public interest?

I see my local representative frequently, he is very connected to our community. I'm sorry you live in a district where you aren't able to do that. I agree with you that it's a good thing to be able to connect with your representatives.
  • urloved33
    Options
    how does this conversation happen when all that is asked is...should food stamps have restrictions?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    how does this conversation happen when all that is asked is...should food stamps have restrictions?

Because during a debate people often won't answer just "yes" or "no," they'll elaborate with "Yes, because . . . " or "no, due to . . . " and then people get to discussing the elaborations.

Just saying "yes" or "no" wouldn't be much of a debate.
  • urloved33
    Options

Because during a debate people often won't answer just "yes" or "no," they'll elaborate with "Yes, because . . . " or "no, due to . . . " and then people get to discussing the elaborations.

then debate the TOPIC not taxes omg. do I have to actually spell this out?

• urloved33
    edited April 2018
    Options

I believe that's called a poll? Perhaps we need a new topic to debate the difference between a debate and a poll.

a poll STAYS ON TOPIC as does a debate ...taxes politics etc is NOT on topic. and the sarcasm dripping off the posts - ick.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

then debate the TOPIC not taxes omg. do I have to actually spell this out?

Evidently.

For example. someone says "no, because" or "yes, in order to" and someone else responds that the example cited doesn't actually work and cites counter examples or alternative courses of actions.

Oh, and Without taxes, how do you propose paying for SNAP?

Ergo, taxes are an appropriate tangent.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I believe that's called a poll? Perhaps we need a new topic to debate the difference between a debate and a poll.

a poll STAYS ON TOPIC as does a debate ...taxes politics etc is NOT on topic. and the sarcasm dripping off the posts - ick.

Just because you don't LIKE the topic doesn't mean we're off topic.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options

When the topic for debate is whether food stamp restrictions are ok, then talking about the government and taxes ABSOLUTELY is on topic. Food stamps are a government run program paid for by taxes. Did you think the money for food stamps just magically arrives by the SNAP fairy? That was dripping sarcasm by the way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Whether or not food stamps/aid for poor people should exist at all is a separate topic from "should food stamps be more limited in what they pay for than they currently are."

That someone says "yes, they shouldn't pay for anything, because I don't think that's a legitimate gov't function" is actually arguing about a quite different topic than someone who says "food stamps shouldn't pay for unhealthy foods."

I don't mind the argument, but it doesn't seem to me to be addressing the real question of the thread which is whether it's specifically a problem that people can use food stamps to buy caloric/low nutrient foods or should be encouraged more aggressively (like by limits) to spend them on nutrient dense foods.