How Do You Track The Calories From A Marinade

jwkwak3
jwkwak3 Posts: 14 Member
I have found this awesome marinade for Chicken breast. It just hit me that I am not sure how I would log this. I marinade the chicken and then use 1/2 cup that I reseverd for basting.

How would I log this since I only marinade and baste but I consume the entire marinade?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    If you're consuming the entire marinade, you'd log all the marinade.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If I consume the whole marinade, I also log it all.
  • jwkwak3
    Thank toxikon and janejellyroll. I actually pour the marinade down the drain after the chicken has been marinating in it. The 1/2 cup that I reserved is bruched on during the cooking. So I am not really consuming the entire marinade, only what soaked into and been brushed on the chicken. I think I should log it what is consumed and I could just cook without marinade but it makes the chicken tast so much better and keeps it juicy.
  • mrvikingman
    mrvikingman Posts: 83 Member
    What they said ^

If you do happen to not eat the entire marinade, and just whatever "stuck" to the meat, I personally wouldn't even log it. My calorie margins aren't that small for me to wanna worry about it, but that's just me!
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    jwkwak3 wrote: »
    Thank toxikon and janejellyroll. I actually pour the marinade down the drain after the chicken has been marinating in it. The 1/2 cup that I reserved is bruched on during the cooking. So I am not really consuming the entire marinade, only what soaked into and been brushed on the chicken. I think I should log it what is consumed and I could just cook without marinade but it makes the chicken tast so much better and keeps it juicy.

Is it very oil or sugar based? If so, it would probably make a difference calorie wise. If you make a cup (let's say) and you are putting 1/2 down the drain, and basting the other half on your meat, then just log 1/2 of the ingredients (however you made it).
  • jwkwak3
    Below is the marinade recipe.

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar or other vinegar
    1/4 cup Low sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/8 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar
    2 tbsp Dijon or Spicy Brown mustard
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    2 tsp garlic powder
    6 chicken breasts or 3.5 lb chicken

Reserve 1/2 cup for basting.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Weigh what you toss out and deduct it. I wouldn't count that in the calories, but would assume what I don't throw away is all eaten. I know it's not, but it's close enough.

I would not cook without the marinade if you like the taste. Seems wrong to me. :)
  • jwkwak3
    Tacklewasher seems like a solid plan.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    I would use the recipe builder to calculate the calories for the entire marinade, then deduct however much you end up dumping from the calorie total. The remaining calories then account for the marinade that got absorbed or is used for basting, and that's what I would log since those are the calories that you are consuming.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Weigh what you toss out and deduct it. I wouldn't count that in the calories, but would assume what I don't throw away is all eaten. I know it's not, but it's close enough.

I would not cook without the marinade if you like the taste. Seems wrong to me. :)

This.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member

For those who may not be experienced cooks reading along and seeing this tasty-sounding marinade recipe + directions and thinking of trying it...always bring reserved marinade to a boil before using it as a baste or glaze. Because nothing screams "potential Campylobacteriosis" like brushing on some marinade raw chicken marinated in just prior to serving it.

The added bonus is reducing marinade a bit before using as a basting/finishing glaze is it concentrates the flavor(s).

[/food sanitation screed]