Tired of dieting/fighting food addiction

I’ve been dieting since January and am 34 pounds down. But I’ve found myself feeling sad and fatigued anytime I’m cutting calories to lose weight. Also, i guess I probably have a mild food addiction, which is how I got overweight to begin with. I don’t really overeat A LOT, but I just seem to only choose the most calorically dense options available and so gaining weight is so easy. I take adhd meds and honestly it helps me control my appetite a bit (When I had to get off of them during my pregnancy it was like something unleashed within me. I could not stop craving.) But even with that, as a new stay at home mom, I find myself surrounded by food and boredom. Ubereats is my worst enemy! But I’m also steadily losing weight, so I guess I’m not failing. I just hate that my whole day and mind is fixated on how to not cheat/how to not eat too much. I feel like I can diet for a few months but then I need a break. But I know that if I take a break I’ll start gaining. It’s disheartening. And I’m also having worse insomnia because so get so hungry at night but don’t want to cheat.

I guess I am just frustrated and need encouragement. I still have months of this to go and my body is not changing as fast as I want it too and combined with not enjoying the pleasures of the food I used to use to comfort me, I guess I am feeling empty in every way.

I know I’ll be happier in the long run at a lower weight, but dieting is painful and i honestly feel like an addict trying to stay away from a drug that’s readily available-fatty, sugary, salty foods. I can’t eat them in small portions either because I lose control and will eat a lot. I can only eat during my official cheat meals without losing control. Sigh.

I need encouragement.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    That's a LOT of weight to have lost in basically a short time... it takes a long time to lose as d rhrn you have the rest of your life to work at keeping it off.

You're calorie deficit must be very aggressive so aim to lose a little bit slower that way you'll get more daily calories which is always a good thing. :smiley:

Another thing you can do is take a diet break - that's eat for a week e.g at maintenance calories. And then get back to a deficit again.

Motivation will come and go so keep reminding yourself how far you've come already and look to the future when you will be even lighter. :smiley:

All the best.

Ruth
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Are you breastfeeding?
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    I could've written this post. I can so identify with everything you said. (Except ADHD). I really really struggle with the total obsession with food. While I'm eating, I'm already thinking about my next meal/snack. And it's so sad to me to count calories. These are lame suggestions, but I find that hot herbal tea will help distract me, and taking a walk. Can you make a coffee date with a friend? Hang in there! You can do it.
  • robinhager3998
    robinhager3998 Posts: 45 Member
    Even though our life circumstances are different, I can understand. I had a bad day today with my eating. I generally stay within my calories, but I allow myself some calories to have a snack at bedtime. I can't sleep when I'm hungry either. I overate today because of stress, and now I feel like crap. My stomach hurts and I have reflux. TMI. It is definitely a constant battle and you just have to be kind to yourself. Losing weight isn't a life or death thing. We just have to treat ourselves kindly by eating healthy, good food and doing things we enjoy. Sending you a hug, because it sounds like you need one and I do to! Good luck.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I feel like others have covered most of your OP but I feel the need to point out that if you can't take a break you don't have an exit strategy. In addition to losing weight you need to be learning how to also live within your maintenance calories. If you don't you will likely have more to lose next time. If I were you I would take a week, keep logging, and see what maintenance feels like. I would also work on a less aggressive approach because honestly right now you sound like past versions of me right before I took another long postponement from weight loss.

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Love your Annebolynsrevenge name! She was so cheated by such a self absorbed king henry....jerk!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    What are your stats - height, weight?
    How much are you trying to lose?
    What rate of loss did you choose?
    Do you exercise? Do you eat back exercise cals?

Sounds like you’ve chosen an aggressive rate of loss, have too steep of a calorie deficit and are struggling to find a sustainable plan. You’re also looking at this as a diet, while many who succeed at losing weight and maintaining the loss don’t think about it as a diet, don’t focus on the restriction and cheat meals as rewards.

You recently had a baby, congrats! It’s going to take time to lose the baby weight, you need to accept that and try to be the healthiest mom you can be for your baby - not sleeping because you’re hungry, not fueling your body (are you breastfeeding?), being this stressed out - none of those are healthy for you.

Good luck.
  • ashbodash28
    ashbodash28 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi, friend. First of all, kudos to you for your weight loss. I appreciate and agree with all the comments above in addition to what I’m about to throw out here. The more I talk to people on this kind of journey, the more I realize that sometimes the weight that is lost is encouraging and motivating, and sometimes it does just leave you with that feeling of being worn down or feeling less in control. I am only about 3 weeks into my program myself (5lbs down!), but I definitely qualify as a serial starter. I would become so discouraged after I’d lose some weight, feel the way you describe feeling, and then gain it all back, that over the years it became increasingly difficult for me to want to start at all. When I began my weight loss program this time, I knew I needed to do something different. My past methods weren’t working, and I finally figured that it must be more psychological than anything else (note to self: duh :smile: ). I bought a book to help me with this, and though I only started the program in this book a few weeks ago, I feel totally different about my relationship with food. The book is “The Beck Diet Solution: Weight Loss Workbook” by Judith Beck. She’s a big name in cognitive behavioral psychology - her dad created this approach actually, and it’s widely accepted as the gold star evidenced based practice in clinical psychology. This book is an interactive workbook that covers the span of 6 weeks and teaches you cognitive and behavioral skills and tools for dieting, what she calls “thinking thin.” If anyone else out there struggles with their relationships with food and eating behaviors, I highly recommend this approach. It might not be for everyone, but if you’re at the end of your rope and looking to try something, anything, as I was, give it a shot. It has totally changed the way I think and feel. I got my copy off of amazon for about $12. Good luck moving forward. You can do this!! Hang in there.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Hi, friend. First of all, kudos to you for your weight loss. I appreciate and agree with all the comments above in addition to what I’m about to throw out here. The more I talk to people on this kind of journey, the more I realize that sometimes the weight that is lost is encouraging and motivating, and sometimes it does just leave you with that feeling of being worn down or feeling less in control. I am only about 3 weeks into my program myself (5lbs down!), but I definitely qualify as a serial starter. I would become so discouraged after I’d lose some weight, feel the way you describe feeling, and then gain it all back, that over the years it became increasingly difficult for me to want to start at all. When I began my weight loss program this time, I knew I needed to do something different. My past methods weren’t working, and I finally figured that it must be more psychological than anything else (note to self: duh :smile: ). I bought a book to help me with this, and though I only started the program in this book a few weeks ago, I feel totally different about my relationship with food. The book is “The Beck Diet Solution: Weight Loss Workbook” by Judith Beck. She’s a big name in cognitive behavioral psychology - her dad created this approach actually, and it’s widely accepted as the gold star evidenced based practice in clinical psychology. This book is an interactive workbook that covers the span of 6 weeks and teaches you cognitive and behavioral skills and tools for dieting, what she calls “thinking thin.” If anyone else out there struggles with their relationships with food and eating behaviors, I highly recommend this approach. It might not be for everyone, but if you’re at the end of your rope and looking to try something, anything, as I was, give it a shot. It has totally changed the way I think and feel. I got my copy off of amazon for about $12. Good luck moving forward. You can do this!! Hang in there.

Just wanted to chime in that while we tend to frown on "weight loss" books and programs here, I have heard nothing but praise for The Beck Diet Solution for those who need help with their thought process around food :drinker:
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    First, congrats on the weight loss although as others have mentioned it is pretty aggressive. Part of this now is in changing your mindset and the way you view calories and food: It's not the enemy. It's pretty normal early on to focus heavily on the calorie consumptions and what number the scale says but overtime as you learn your specific body needs those things become less and less significant. You didn't gain all the weight in a short time so it takes time for the body to reset itself. While that happens make controllable changes: Stock only filling friendly foods that lean more toward the healthy side. It's amazing how full you will be if you eat 2 red potato's while only hitting 220 calories(mix it in with a cup or two of mixed vegetables for an even more filling meal), add a chicken breast and thats a 500ish calorie meal. If Ubereats is a problem have a friend change the password to keep you off the site as it sounds like that could be a root of the problem. I do something like this daily and I am NEVER hungry.

Breakfast: Eggs and a hass avocado: 500 calories
    Snack: Sweet carrots: 70 calories
    Lunch: 2 red potato's with chicken and mixed vege's: 500 calories
    Snack: Orange: 70 calories
    Dinner: What ever I want to get to my macros/nutrients/calorie needs for the day after workouts are done.
    Snack: Cape Cod Sea Salt Chips: 110 calories

You can do this!
  • Anneboleynsrevenge
    Anneboleynsrevenge Posts: 16 Member
    Thank y’all so much for all of your advice. It’s all
    So thoughtful and inspiring. I’m sorry I am replying now. I’m not really sure how to use this part of the app. I thank you all and will be looking over your messages when I feel weak. I’ll also look into the Beck book. Thank you!