Journey to Stop Counting Calories

RufflesMcGee
RufflesMcGee Posts: 7 Member
edited April 2018 in Food and Nutrition
DAY 1: Hi I'm Kelly. Im 26, 5'5", and currently 247 lbs. I've been on MFP on and off for a couple of years but only stuck to it recently (a little over a month). I'm down 12 lbs which is fantastic. Im writing this today to stop calorie counting. Which I know that's ONE of the main components of MFP but the numbers are just getting to me. I may not log my food for a couple of weeks and I wanted to see how the results would end up after these "calorie free" weeks. I realized now it's not about what calories you eat it's actually what you eat(healthy foods) helps you lose the weight. It's taken me over 10 years to now get that through my thick skull. Anyone want to come along with the journey with me?

[Post edited by MFP mod]

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    @RufflesMcGee Wishing you all the best on your weight loss journey.

Your statement is only partly true. WHAT you eat, contributes to overall good health, but HOW MUCH you eat still matters for weight loss.

If you eat junk in tiny portions you'll lose weight, and if you eat excessive quantities of "healthy" foods you'll gain weight.

You might also wish to consider the effects of exercise. If you consume more food than you need, this can be balanced by increasing your activity level in order to still lose weight.

More food without increasing exercise = weight gain.
    More exercise without increasing food = weight loss
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    Presumably, you weren’t logging on your way up, I know I wasn’t. Seems like a good way to risk regaining. If you stall or hit a plateau, what’s your plan for working through it if you don’t have reliable data?

I wish you well, eat the right portions of the food you’re eating to maintain the deficit.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I got some bad news for ya. Not only do you have to count calories but you also have to weigh everything. Ideal weight range is 137.5 - 151 lbs. So the good news is that one year from now, if you take my advise, you will hit your ideal weight

How did people lose weight before counting calories and weighing became popular? People still lose weight by not weighing and counting. There is a thread just recently started here where many people have lost a lot of weight that don't own a scale.

My son has lost 25lbs. He doesn't count calories nor does he weigh food. He did it by cutting back and getting more active. He doesn't go back for seconds...doesn't eat as many high calories snacks...

I still look at calories and log but I seldom weigh food unless it is a new food or it is calorie dense. Like the OP...I am working my way to portion control. I just know that I can not count and weigh for the rest of my life. So it is time for me to start working on controlling my weight by other means.

I think that you've probably read the statistics about how many people lose weight and regain it. Of course there are some who are successful who don't track. It is one thing to lose 25 or 30 lbs. and then be at a normal weight. The difference in what the person was eating when overweight is not as drastic as someone who needs to lose 100 lbs. (like the OP). I lost weight in the past a few times (probably about 10-15 lbs.) but I wasn't obese then. It was vanity weight. When I first started on MFP last July I had 100 lbs. to lose. I wasn't planning on actually following MFP. I was just going to log what I ate--I didn't believe in CICO, and ate a healthy diet, but I wasn't losing. After just one week of logging my food intake at the time, it was obvious to me that I was eating probably 3000 calories per day which was why I gained 60-70 lbs. in 6 years. (My TDEE at my goal weight will be about 1600, so I was eating double what I should have been). Once I had that realization it was very easy for me to cut back. I didn't need the extra calories--in fact it was making me sick with digestive problems (that diminished once I started eating 1500 calories less. The problems disappeared completely once I'd lost 20 lbs.).

I'm not an expert, and this is just my opinion. I think that once I crossed the threshhold from overweight to obese, with 100 lbs. above a normal weight, I had lost all sense of being able to determine intuitively what was the right amount of food or portions. That was not the case when I was 15 lbs. or 30 lbs. overweight.

The OP can try guessing and estimating, but I know for me, counting calories helped and helps me stay on track. I have to do it with my brain.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I got some bad news for ya. Not only do you have to count calories but you also have to weigh everything. Ideal weight range is 137.5 - 151 lbs. So the good news is that one year from now, if you take my advise, you will hit your ideal weight

How did people lose weight before counting calories and weighing became popular? People still lose weight by not weighing and counting. There is a thread just recently started here where many people have lost a lot of weight that don't own a scale.

My son has lost 25lbs. He doesn't count calories nor does he weigh food. He did it by cutting back and getting more active. He doesn't go back for seconds...doesn't eat as many high calories snacks...

I still look at calories and log but I seldom weigh food unless it is a new food or it is calorie dense. Like the OP...I am working my way to portion control. I just know that I can not count and weigh for the rest of my life. So it is time for me to start working on controlling my weight by other means.

You're putting words in the OP's mouth. OP says nothing about portion control. OP says, "I realized now it's not about what calories you eat it's actually what you eat(healthy foods) helps you lose the weight." You can eat "healthy foods," however you define that, in appropriate portions, or you can eat them in portions that are too large, and gain weight.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    If you are getting too obsessive about the numbers then by all means try and be calorie and portion aware without logging.
    Every time I've stopped logging I've gained a little back so it's not for me. Be careful too, I stopped logging to take a break and still fighting to get my logging consistency back many months on and as a result haven't really lost anything in the last 4 months.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Good luck with that. If you don't count the calories you won't know if you are eating more then you should....but of course you're welcome to try it but you'd have to regularly weigh in. If you don't lose weight you will know the score.