Firm fat vs. Jiggly fat?

Replies

• http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

I wonder if this can explain the plateaus I have been getting. I have been extra vigilant about my diet logging everything and I mean everything. Grab a little Chex mix it goes into my diary. OK I have been slacking on diet soda and water.

Whats been happening is I will step on a scale it will say 262.1 then the next day it will say 273.2 then it will slowly but surely fluctuate down the rest of the week and then I will step on a scale and it will say 253.4 and the next day be back up to 261.9. The same thing will happen until my my next dramatic weight loss this time less severe 249.1. It kind of feels like I drop weight in steps and then regain 5-8 pounds.

I know that weight usually fluctuates + or - 2.2 pounds per day but these 11, 8 and 4 pound drops seem more sever than that and the rebounds take some getting used too.

69261079.png
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    You might need a new scale, with variances that large. I think it's more normal to fluctuate within a 5 lb or so window, not 20.

And water and diet soda shouldn't affect your loss rate, unless they affect temporary water weight in you.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    bump
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Well, a recent thread on these forums was discussing how running make people "squishy fat". I'm not sure what sort of exercise leads to "jiggly fat" specifically, and since I'm running I don't have any advice on how to become "jiggly fat". But if you want to become "squishy fat", I could go on for hours!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Well, I see a new thread that talks about doing a certain "solo exercise" in an "excessive" manner, and that leading to problems. Maybe that is what causes jiggly fat? I always thought that just led to hairy palms or blindness, but maybe jiggly fat is another side effect.

Oh, and I'm being a smart-*kitten*, I realize.

I'm off to my corner now.

...to work on "jiggly fat".
  • ashlashx
    ashlashx Posts: 1 Member
    How long did it take for the jiggly fat to disappear?
  • Tq43
    Tq43 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2018
    I've actually noticed this. My tummy and thighs are smaller but definitely jigglier ! ...not liking it either tbh..... I do a lot of walking but thinking of taking up some classes like zumba or aerobics to help tone.
    I'm 44, that probably doesn't help.... I won't spring back to shape as I used to.
    I'd like a bit more firmness though !
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (1) This is a really, really old thread. I doubt those who originally replied will come back to respond.

(2) Squishy or jiggly fat is usually a transitional thing, part way through weight loss. When losing, fat cells may deplete anywhere in the fat mass. The fat gets less dense, more jiggly or squishy. But the overall mass still conspires with gravity to keep the skin stretched out. It's like a partly-emptied water balloon (floppy) vs. a full one (firm). Keep losing, more fat will deplete, and it will look better at goal weight. True loose skin is thin wrinkles, like wrinkles in fabric, and can keep shrinking well into maintenance (mine was still shrinking into the 2nd year of maintenance). Thicker folds or rolls, like 1/2" or more, still have subcutaneous squishy fat keeping them stretched. You'll look and feel better at goal weight, and the look will keep improving for a while afterward.
    Thank you, now I understand. I’m still in the losing stage, but it’s reassuring to hear it will improve. I had read it gets better on here before, but your fabric analogy made it so much clearer.

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Thank you @AnnPT77 !!!
  • harzicn
    harzicn Posts: 35 Member
    I am so pleased to have found this thread. This is very interesting and reassuring. I really don't mind being squishy or jiggly. Frankly I seem to be both. But after 2.5 years my body does seem to be stabilising itself. I don't have the under-skin fat lumps any more but my skin is loose and lumpy. However I'm just so much lighter and healthier so a bit of floppy, jiggly skin is a small price to pay.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    This is happening to me, I just assumed I was losing fat and my skin was a little loose because there’s not as much fat in it as before. Like extra skin.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Although more of us may be in an overfull place than a jiggly place, this does strike me as a bit of weight loss cheer...
  • Ziggyiguana82
    Ziggyiguana82 Posts: 29 Member
    rcramer7 wrote: »
    I just thought of all those times I cooked hamburger in a pan and left it out. You know, the grease goes from warm to cold and gets firm. Then, if you get it hot again it melts.

I just found a link if anyone wants to read it...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

EDIT: I just re-read it. It isn't that intresting.

You can thank glycolysis for that ;) you don't lose fat, it doesn't go anywhere per se. What happens, is that the fat cells empty which is also why we get the "woosh" effect when you plateau. By using MIC vitamins, you give your liver a boost in processing all the leftover glucose as its leaving your body.

Congratulations btw!
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited July 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (1) This is a really, really old thread. I doubt those who originally replied will come back to respond.

(2) Squishy or jiggly fat is usually a transitional thing, part way through weight loss. When losing, fat cells may deplete anywhere in the fat mass. The fat gets less dense, more jiggly or squishy. But the overall mass still conspires with gravity to keep the skin stretched out. It's like a partly-emptied water balloon (floppy) vs. a full one (firm). Keep losing, more fat will deplete, and it will look better at goal weight. True loose skin is thin wrinkles, like wrinkles in fabric, and can keep shrinking well into maintenance (mine was still shrinking into the 2nd year of maintenance). Thicker folds or rolls, like 1/2" or more, still have subcutaneous squishy fat keeping them stretched. You'll look and feel better at goal weight, and the look will keep improving for a while afterward.

Love this response, Ive loss 50 lbs and lots of stomach weight with 32 lbs to go so hopefully by goal and into.maintenance this problem area will be much better🙃🤗♥️
  • yoshidude123
    yoshidude123 Posts: 1 Member
    Yes! Thank you - I was wondering how to get a jiggly belly!
  • MaryFloNS
    MaryFloNS Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2022
    This is an embarrassing question...but I'll ask anyway:

Does fat change as you lose more? or is it loose skin?

I've noticed that my fattier areas seem to be less 'firm' and have gotten softer/more jiggly. Is that possible? thoughts?

my belly is grossing me out now..

I just discovered the very same thing. A friend had noticed my weight loss and I said, look the fat that is here now is all squishy as opposed to hard. So, definitely a sign of losing fat in my opinion.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Are you talking about fibrous fat when you say firm fat? Firm fat, or visceral fat, is below your muscles and surrounds your organs.
    You definitely don't want to get rid of your firm fat but to get rid of the other fat types usually a combination of lifting, cardio and reduce sugar intake does the trick