Running help, back outside after winter

Over winter in the northeast, I tried running outside 1-2 times a week, which was difficult finding roads that weren't so icy etc. so now that spring is finally here I'm going from running twice a week to 3x a week
Problem is, I'm sooo slow, in fall I ran 12-13min miles running 2-3miles 2-3x a week... I'm now about 14-15min miles especially running 3x a week, I feel like my body always ALWAYS hits a limit when I run 3x a week... my mile times suffer and I get pain etc. I know that my body doesn't understand how many miles I run so I'm trying to just run for 30min-35min at a time, and sometimes my body feels beat... I'm 5'4 and 200 pounds so I'm thinking the pressure on my joints isn't taking it since I've gained 15 pounds over the winter.
The only time I've ever been able to run 3x a week was when I did all my runs on the treadmill, I feel like the impact is much less, but my knees are hurting on my second week of running 3x a week, it's extremely discouraging because I know the treadmill is good to me but I love the outdoors.
Anyone have any advice on how to slowly add a 3rd day? I would say with running 30-35min at a time (which is an increase already this spring) I do about 2-2.5miles, so adding a 3rd run increases my mileage percentage quite a bit!!
Would running half a mile for a 3rd day and walking the rest help, and slowly increase it for that evil 3rd day? OR should I go back to my happy place of 2x a week runs and maybe the elliptical instead as a substitute? What would be better, elliptical or a half mile run with a couple miles after of walking? I thoroughly enjoy running when it's twice a week, but I know I can't improve unless my body will let me adapt to that 3rd time a week run. Also, could that 15 pounds be seriously hindering me? Of course I still need to loose much more, but I am down from my original 280 pounds 2yrs ago and just trying to get back into the swing of things. Any advice would be great! I really want my body to get used to adding a 3rd day without going back to the treadmill!! And yes- I have great running shoes, loose laces, been to a physical therapist etc and have found that walking for 45seconds after each mile prevents my feet from going completely numb, otherwise they go numb and I get injured

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    So our stats are basically the same and while I'm slow as *kitten*, other than that it doesn't really stop me from running. You're a bit deconditioned so you do need to build back up to it. A more experienced runner should probably chime in but I would expect that if you keep your current schedule and yoink your day 3 plans from a walk-run program like C25K you can probably build up to a third day rather quickly and safely.

So for example, Week 1:
    Tues 2.5 miles
    Thurs 2.5 miles
    Sat C25K W1D3

Etc.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Just out of curiosity why are you set on running 3 times a week. Is it to have that 3rd calorie burn from running? Some mental or fitness goal? You just love running and miss running 3 days a week?

Basically why not another exercise, exercise bike, elliptical, rowing, doing sprints intervals instead of a long run? Or just a long walk at a fast pace will be easier on your joints.

For what it's worth, I used to play soccer as an adult but kept getting hurt: twisted knees, pulled hamstrings etc. At a certain point, I had to realize that my love of the sport was hurting me and that I to be in peak physical condition to get through a game without hurting myself, so I stopped because realistically I wasn't shape enough. Now that I have lost weight and become more active I probably could go back. Perhaps it would be better for you to get back into shaper through methods that don't hurt your body as much before going back to 3x a week runs.
  • sarahthes
    The way to run faster is to run more! And if you love running you should totally do it. Come join the crazy folks on the Monthly Running Challenge. Lots of good advice to be had!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10655854/april-2018-monthly-running-challenge#latest
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Building up the third run as suggested with something like C25K from a walk to a run over a number of weeks sounds a great plan and I’ll bet your pace soon improves as your body adapts.
    Ideally to prevent injury you should have some kind of strength and conditioning in your schedule and you might find doing that twice a week helps your body to cope better with the Day 3 run.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    If you want to improve your time and take less of a pounding on your joints, you need to reduce your BMI, basically lose weight. Your BMI right now stands at 33, try and go below 30 while strengthening your lower body and core especially the front core and you will enjoy the benefits of running while minimizing the negative.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I would reduce all the runs to 20-25 minutes and then build them up over a few weeks.

I've been reflecting on this, and I'd agree with the suggestion. If you go to 3*20 you keep the same training burden but increase frequency. After 3-4 weeks you can start adding five minutes to one of those, then level up. Continue that and you're fairly quickly building up time on your feet.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I would reduce all the runs to 20-25 minutes and then build them up over a few weeks.

I've been reflecting on this, and I'd agree with the suggestion. If you go to 3*20 you keep the same training burden but increase frequency. After 3-4 weeks you can start adding five minutes to one of those, then level up. Continue that and you're fairly quickly building up time on your feet.

Another agreement with this. Also try interval training That helps with speed building
  • sarahthes

Another agreement with this. Also try interval training That helps with speed building

My understanding is that interval training has its place but it's more likely to harm than help until the runner has a solid base. At this point OP is still building up that base so intervals are likely a ways in her future.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »

My understanding is that interval training has its place but it's more likely to harm than help until the runner has a solid base. At this point OP is still building up that base so intervals are likely a ways in her future.

Depends on the intervals. Walk/run intervals would probably help OP a lot.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »

Depends on the intervals. Walk/run intervals would probably help OP a lot.
    Exactly! not all interval training is the same
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member

Thanks, would you recommend I walk the rest of the time to hit a 30min workout? I *thought* that a workout less than 30min wasn't supposed to do much, no matter what it is
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    If you want to improve your time and take less of a pounding on your joints, you need to reduce your BMI, basically lose weight. Your BMI right now stands at 33, try and go below 30 while strengthening your lower body and core especially the front core and you will enjoy the benefits of running while minimizing the negative.

Yes I definitely know that, I basically lost some of my motivation and ate what I wanted on the weekends and it caught up to me a bit, so hopefully just knowing losing weight can help me with running will help motivate me even more
  • MeanderingMammal
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »

Thanks, would you recommend I walk the rest of the time to hit a 30min workout? I *thought* that a workout less than 30min wasn't supposed to do much, no matter what it is

You could give yourself a five minute walking warm up and cool down, which will take you up to 30 minutes.

Given that I'm pretty familiar with the background I'm adapting the usual coaching advice to your circumstances. With an aim to increase frequency, it's about helping you to achieve that, rather than be purist about things. Twenty minutes is perfectly good, 30 minutes will give you more benefit. I wouldn't worry about trying to second guess.

• RadishEater
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »

You don't need 30 mins to properly exercise. You could warm up and do a round of tabatas and be under 30 mins but still have a good exercise, but if you are having body issues I wouldn't recommend tabatas.
    You should stop focusing on numbers you think you need to be at ie. 30 mins of running, 3x a week and focus more on what you can do now and what small changes you can make to improve. Perhaps your joints prefer you to do two medium speed runs, then the third to be a faster shorter run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited April 2018
    kballsocc wrote: »

You don't need 30 mins to properly exercise. You could warm up and do a round of tabatas and be under 30 mins but still have a good exercise.

On the assumption that you mean tabata protocol then it's wholly inappropriate for an untrained individual. It's actually only appropriate for a week trained individual in a small range of circumstances.

Notwithstanding that, I suspect you don't mean proper tabata protocol, but just moderate aerobic intervals. Given that the originator wants to increase her running then that certainly won't help.
  • RadishEater
    kballsocc wrote: »

You don't need 30 mins to properly exercise. You could warm up and do a round of tabatas and be under 30 mins but still have a good exercise.

On the assumption that you mean tabata protocol then it's wholly inappropriate for an untrained individual. It's actually only appropriate for a week trained individual in a small range of circumstances.

Notwithstanding that, I suspect you don't mean proper tabata protocol, but just moderate aerobic intervals. Given that the originator wants to increase her running then that certainly won't help.

I pointed out tabatas to contradict the idea one can't get a good exercise in under 30 mins. That is why the rest of my sentence says "if you are having body issues I wouldn't recommend tabatas." So for this particular person at the moment, tabatas aren't a good idea but could be a useful exercise in the future, once she feels she has a good fitness level.