Unusual food combos that replace other things

2»

Replies

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    We like to make pizzas using flour tortillas for the crust. They make a nice thin, lower cal crust, and cook in about 10 minutes. I can have a whole one for about 300 cal, depending on toppings.

I know there's cauliflower pizza crust, but I haven't tried that yet. Cauliflower rice is surprisingly good!
  • nicholahmola
    nicholahmola Posts: 18 Member
    I am always looking for ways to cut calories but maintain flavor. With hummus, I dip raw sugar snap peas- very crunchy. Also, pb2 (a must) instead of real peanut butter. Bagel thins versus normal bagels save approx. 130 calories per bagel. For salad dressings I use just vinegar, no oil, which can add up in cals, and load up on spices/herbs for flavor. Agree with PP regarding cauli rice. It is a great substitute for normal rice.
  • natalieann204
    natalieann204 Posts: 1 Member
    Beets instead of potatoes in beef stew.
    Sauteed bagged coleslaw mix with sauces, chilli, etc instead of rice.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    fresh orange chunks in oatmeal instead of the milk and sugar. not a calorie-cutting thing when i came up with it, just a pregnancy workaround. nothing else except oatmeal killed my hungries, and i have never got along nicely with milk.

it's surprisingly good so long as you dont' have the oatmeal so hot that it actually cooks the oranges. because steamed or boiled orange is weird.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    A sweet swap I discovered recently is instead of a 250+ cal individual apple pie, I add a teaspoon or tablespoon of apple sauce on top of a plain rich tea biscuit (cookie to Americans lol) and it tastes really similar yet comes in at around 60/70 cals or less :)
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Quark or cottage cheese or even both mixed with tuna instead of mayo, I also mix quark or cottage cheese or both into my veggies with a little seasoning which make them super tasty in my opinion, not unusual to me but others I have told have said its weird lol trying to think of other things....
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    I just tried air fried or oven baked seasoned chickpeas as a snack or substitute for peanuts, nice protein,being a bean and small amount needed for snacking. so many seasoned recipes to try. Good as tossed salad topper
  • cloudspirit55
    cloudspirit55 Posts: 36 Member
    I do use the zoodles they're okay I would like to try spaghetti squash it looks and sounds really good. Cauliflower rice I'm surprised I didn't think it would be that good as a rice substitute but it is really like it better than using regular rice.

what I really like is to take raw sunflower and pumpkin seeds place them on a cookie sheet and slow roast them after coating them in a little sea salt and different seasonings that I like it varies according to what I feel like at the time. very the flavoring according to what I am feeling like at the time. The the only calories is in the sees themselves which can be a little high at times so I just have about a fourth of a cup As a treat and within my calorie limit for the day but all they taste so good when you do it yourself and I like that slow roasted taste. I even eat themsometimes when their still a little still warm They taste so good I'm not a huge snacker so I don't have too much of problem with overdoing treats.
  • raeannmoss7861
    raeannmoss7861 Posts: 4 Member
    Since zucchini lasagna was mentioned previously it reminded me of the zucchini pizza bite I used to make.

Delicious-- Slice zucchini into half inch circles, top with favorite pizza sauce, cheese and normal toppings. I usually go traditional with mozzarella and a lower fat turkey pepperoni. Bake at 375 for 8-15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden. Not finger food!
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    I use frozen fruit (with juices after thawed), on my salad instead of dressing
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    2fine1 wrote: »
    Great substitutes for traditional pasta include green lentil or black bean pastas. I use the brand name "Tolerant" and have found them excellent! Each one is organic and loaded with protein and fiber.

Yes! I tried this a week ago. It’s amazing!!!!
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    I have a vegan mac n cheese recipe that is quite good. The sauce is amazingly cheesy. I now make just the sauce to keep on hand for pasta or burrito bowls or for nacho cheese. It’s made of cashews, potatoes, carrots, onions, shallots and a variety of seasoning and spices. It’s a 120 calories per half cup (and I actually think that can be reduced even more). Probably my favorite vegan cheese thing, for sure.
  • JinnBee
    JinnBee Posts: 12 Member
    Chicken or tuna salad wrapped in a big wedge of crisp iceberg lettuce instead of on bread or crackers. Yum!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Kelkat405 wrote: »
    I use frozen fruit (with juices after thawed), on my salad instead of dressing

@kelkat405 examples, please. I wanna try this!

• dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Since I don’t eat dairy I started eating egg shell for calcium. I ate some at the same time as eating Lily’s chocolate and the shell made it taste like m&m’s in my mouth

Red peppers instead of bread for avocado toast

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Since I don’t eat dairy I started eating egg shell for calcium. I ate some at the same time as eating Lily’s chocolate and the shell made it taste like m&m’s in my mouth

Most of these aren't actually weird combos but WOW egg shells and chocolate, that definitely is a new one, and especially that it was actually good, lol!
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Not because I was cutting carbs - but because I forgot to buy potatoes, I made a mash from cauliflower and tinned cannelini beans....and it was fabulous!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member

I'm curious--do you somehow treat/heat these to eliminate Salmonella poisoning? And, do you eat them straight up with the chocolate, or grind them up? I could see adding an egg shell powder to a smoothie or something.