Want to move to Minneapolis.

clgkat34
clgkat34 Posts: 56 Member
Anyone know anything about Minneapolis that I should know about before making the move? Good and bad.

Replies

• beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    It’s very cold in the winter, but there’s a local delicacy called “hot dish” to help offset the bone-chilling misery.

Minneapolis is cool. I think you’ll like it.
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    I live three hours away, now, but I still drive to the Twin Cities for the arts. In fact, I'm currently in the middle of a 12-week watercolor class in Minneapolis that meets once a week. It is one of the few things that makes Minnesota worth the horrid winters (we just got 23.5 inches of snow, and it's mid-April). That, and it's only a couple hours from Duluth. (The North Shore is a crown jewel of the USA!) Just learn what you can about crime statistics in whatever neighborhood you're considering; I spent a decade as a street cop in a first-ring suburb of Minneapolis, and know there is quite a difference between some parts of town.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I honestly had no idea people aspire to move to the Midwest.

Well, people in Minnesota are known to be very nice.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    I'm in the Minneapolis area, as are a few other MFP'ers. Anything specific you're looking for on info? Like anyplace, there's good an bad. All depends on what you like, and want to do based on your interests.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Fellow Minnesotan here. Feel free to message me if you have questions I could help with
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    I think people who have never been to Minnesota have no idea how huge Minneapolis is. The greater metro area is just shy of 4 million peeps. And it’s true, they’re nice people. Just check out the amazing mfpers from there!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    We just experienced a blizzard...in April.

Other than the annoying winters, we have awesome lakes ( nokomis, lake of the isles, and Harriet are some of the bigger ones in minneapolis). Lots of places to walk, fantastic local music and local businesses in general. Traffic doesn't suck too much except on 494. Juicy Lucy, hot dishes, melting pot of diversity, *cringe* mall of America (I hate shopping, but Nickelodeon Universe is cool).
    Oh, and statues of Peanuts Characters are placed throughout the Twin cities. :)
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    Summers here are awesome. Winter is fine if you can figure out how to embrace the season and do stuff outside - cross country skiing, skating, snowshoeing, still taking walks, etc..

If you have kids, public schools are great and included in your sizable property tax bill. Pretty good arts, music, and restaurant scenes. Bike trails everywhere around the lakes, kind of one of the main summer things people do. Quick access to the north woods, which is awesome in its own way as well.

It’s the opposite of New York or LA. Great place to live if you know what to do and where to go, but it wouldn’t be where I’d go for a weekend visit.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i love living in the northern midwest. and friends enjoy MN. i guess it depends on what you are looking for and if you can stand the weather.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    My family used to drive there every summer from California when I was a kid and all I remember are the big assed mosquitos.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    gophermatt wrote: »
    Summers here are awesome. Winter is fine if you can figure out how to embrace the season and do stuff outside - cross country skiing, skating, snowshoeing, still taking walks, etc..

If you have kids, public schools are great and included in your sizable property tax bill. Pretty good arts, music, and restaurant scenes. Bike trails everywhere around the lakes, kind of one of the main summer things people do. Quick access to the north woods, which is awesome in its own way as well.

It’s the opposite of New York or LA. Great place to live if you know what to do and where to go, but it wouldn’t be where I’d go for a weekend visit.

Well, I'm going there for 3 weeks in May. I love Minnesota. <3
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Emilio Estevez used to vacation in Minnesota because most everything you might like to do, you can do here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited April 2018
    The city itself is friggin' awesome. The weather leaves much to be desired. Having grown up in the mid-west, it is far too cold in the winter and far to sticky humid and hot in the summer for my liking.

Awesome place to visit...I could never live in the mid-west again though. I'm way too spoiled by the desert southwest.

ETA: I'm not from MN...I grew up in Nebraska, but my dad had family around Minneapolis and we'd visit every couple of years. The weather didn't bother me as much back then, but I was also a kid and I didn't really know anything different...lol.

ETA2: Have you ever visited...I'd highly recommend an extended visit in multiple seasons. My wife is from the Seattle area...I was born there, but only lived there until I was 2 or 3.

About 10 years ago, she was really missing it and we were discussing moving there and I was pretty into the idea as my company was headquartered there so I could just transfer and I had a training there every July and it was just such a beautiful place to be. We were seriously talking about putting my transfer papers in and paid a visit to help her folks pack up their condo as they were moving to Tuscon full time...It was January/February and we were up there for about 10 days....it rained and drizzled for 10 days, everyday, all day...I was like yeah...*kitten* no. She had also been in the desert for quite awhile at that point and concurred and she'd forgotten how much it rained there.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Emilio Estevez used to vacation in Minnesota because most everything you might like to do, you can do here.

Well there ya go....if Emilio Estevez vacationed there that seals it for me! Maybe Corey Feldman is a regular as well! That would be the cherry on top! ;)
  • pudgy1977
    bojack3 wrote: »

Well there ya go....if Emilio Estevez vacationed there that seals it for me! Maybe Corey Feldman is a regular as well! That would be the cherry on top! ;)

Chris Pratt was born here. Good enough for me
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    pudgy1977 wrote: »

I like Minneapolis......
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I've lived here for about five years now.

It can be challenging to find affordable rentals (not sure if that is a concern for you). Unemployment is pretty low, so that's good. It's beautiful, but the winters can be a real grind (since last Friday, we've had 20 inches of snow in my part of town). If you enjoy running or biking, the path system is fantastic. Amazing public transportation.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 wrote: »

I like Minneapolis......

I also know of some nice dining establishments