Are there good days for losing weight?

ckdxbox
ckdxbox Posts: 2 Member
Stuck inside today avoiding an ice-storm that's passing through. With nothing much to do, I was looking at my weight loss data and noticed that based on my daily trends, for some reason Saturdays seem to be days on which I tend to log higher daily weight loss - when compared to other days of the week. Nothing changes for me on a Saturday - I still do my weigh-in before any food or exercise. Wondering if there's such a thing as a rhythm to weight loss when you're on a diet?

Btw, I have no MFP friends and I'm really curious to see what others eat - but not sure how to do that. Any help appreciated.
Chris
rrhqth7o9lus.jpg

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Patterns can emerge. I can see when I ovulated.

As for your Saturdays, do you sleep in rather than getting up early? Longer sleep can leave you more dehydrated from exhaling and/or sweating.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2018
    I never noticed a pattern when I was losing.

Some folks have their diary set to public, some so that just their friends can see, and some completely private. For some reason on the phone you can't see public diaries, just friends. So you'd need to be on the website.

If you check out the threads of posters looking for friends, you could send them friend requests so you can see their diaries. You can always unfriend them later if that's not your thing :smiley:
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    @ckdxbox No, there wouldn't be any special days for losing or gaining, unless your activity patterns vary distinctly. I tend to eat less and work more on Saturdays. This often gives me a big Calorie Deficit, but I can't say definitely that I get a lower reading for my Sunday morning weight.

I'll send you a Friend Request which you can accept to get your list going. You can also invite people by clicking their name, clicking it again in the next box, then clicking "Add as Friend". My Diary is set to viewable by Friends, but I doubt you'll find my food very interesting.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited April 2018
    I weigh less on Friday or Saturday because my week starts on Friday, so by then I have created a cumulative deficit of 7 days...Unless is the week of TOM or Ovulation, then I stay the same or gain a couple of pounds...Nothing to do about that :/
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Yes the best day for weight loss
    Today, tomorrow, everyday
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I always weigh less if I sleep in a couple hours. Which is usually Saturday.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Saturdays were always my lightest day of the week too.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i tend to sleep more on weekends, which helps decrease stress/cortisol in the body and reduces body weight (if i get up at 6am weigh self, don't eat, go back to sleep for a ocuple of hours- i can easily be a lb lower on the scale when i wake back up)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Yes the best day for weight loss
    Today, tomorrow, everyday

I figured someone would beat me to it.

The other thing to note is that you lose weight over the course of weeks or months based on total deficit; whatever works for you is fine as along as you are in a big enough deficit overall to meet your goals. I tend to be around goal every single day.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Weekends are when I tend to eat out. As such, I seem to retain water (due to sometimes some extra carbs and definitely extra sodium) - so I'd tend to weigh a bit more on a Monday or Tuesday than I would on Friday or Saturday, too.

Additionally, what sort of exercise pattern do you have? There can often be water retention for a couple of days, if exercising. So, if you have Friday (maybe Thursday, too) off, but you were exercising over the weekend (and maybe Monday, too), your trend wouldn't surprise me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Sat. morning has historically been the lightest time and day for me too, even when I was on vacation and my schedule was completely different for the week.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Saturday, Sunday and Monday mornings I weigh the weight of a large bovine .... all to do with the high salt, carb and alcohol intake of the previous nights.

Wednesday for me is my lightest day
  • jillstreett
    jillstreett Posts: 69 Member
    edited April 2018
    I'm glad I came across this! I was wondering if anyone else's weeks followed a trend... I used to count Monday as my "weigh in day." I weigh myself at the same time every morning but I used Monday as a checkpoint for week to week loss. That however, I found was a terrible idea. Reason was because Monday's weight, although less than the previous Monday, still seemed to consistently stink and left me feeling crappy about the lack of loss. I don't have a "weigh in DAY" anymore, I just look at the trends over the week. I find that my "good" weigh in days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturday (pre and post fasted 2 hour work out on Saturdays, of course post work out is better). My diet each weekday is roughly the same and I don't go crazy on the weekends but I may have an extra small treat or two, but I also walk my dog more Saturdays and Sundays, so I don't worry about it. I know that the small increase in weight on Sunday and Monday mornings is due to the repairing of my muscles after lifting for an hour on Saturday. That water that my muscles holds onto for repair consistently takes two days to come off. Possibly, but unlikely, from a little more sugar/ carbs in my diet, but again, I don't eat anything in a crazy portion size, just a small treat. Fridays seem to stink too. I have cardio Wednesday night, Thursday's morning weigh in is awesome, I have a rest day Thursday, then Friday's weigh in, although my diet is the same, still stinks. (When I say it stinks, it's usually about a pound higher than the previous day, which is lot considering I am only 4 pounds from my first goal.) I know that after cardio Monday night, that Tuesday morning is a better gauge on the average for the week, Thursday morning is the 2nd lowest each week and Saturday morning post work out is the best/ lowest.

Quick related question, does anyone else used a POST - FASTED carido/ weight training weigh in as their gauge for their real weight for the week? What I mean is: I do a 2 hour workout every Saturday morning at 8am. Fasted from stopping eating Friday night then sleeping, my fast is probably 13 hours, then I work out - 1 hour of cardio followed by 1 hour of weight training with only water consumed. Then when I get home, I weigh in. This weight is usually kick butt. I can see how it might be inaccurate because that is not a real scenario for me every single day (I only do it once a week) but I can also see how it is the MOST accurate because there are the least amount of factors contributing to a fluctuation in weight. Thoughts??
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Quick related question, does anyone else used a POST - FASTED carido/ weight training weigh in as their gauge for their real weight for the week? What I mean is: I do a 2 hour workout every Saturday morning at 8am. Fasted from stopping eating Friday night then sleeping, my fast is probably 13 hours, then I work out - 1 hour of cardio followed by 1 hour of weight training with only water consumed. Then when I get home, I weigh in. This weight is usually kick butt. I can see how it might be inaccurate because that is not a real scenario for me every single day (I only do it once a week) but I can also see how it is the MOST accurate because there are the least amount of factors contributing to a fluctuation in weight. Thoughts??

While I was losing and was absolutely sure I was in deficit every day, I ignored everything but the lowest weight I had seen. I weigh every other day. Now that I am in maintenance, I am leaving the low weight as long as I see it every few days.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I would guess Tuesday being higher is the weekend catching up, and Saturday's low numbers are the result of the work week being helpful in keeping to a routine.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited April 2018
    Love the data. I think this is probably a trend for most people. I've never gathered data on this myself as I don't record my daily weight, but I probably eat most on Friday and Saturday (weekend mentality), and least on Monday (it's back to the daily grind), so given a 48 hour delay, my best day is probably Wednesday or Thursday, and my worst Monday or Tuesday.
  • jillstreett
    jillstreett Posts: 69 Member

While I was losing and was absolutely sure I was in deficit every day, I ignored everything but the lowest weight I had seen. I weigh every other day. Now that I am in maintenance, I am leaving the low weight as long as I see it every few days.

Okay, I like that, and I agree with it because I, too, know that I am in a deficit. Given that we all have the goal of keeping the weight off, if the number is low or high, I want to make sure I am using the most accurate number and not celebrating or getting frustrated prematurely.
  • ckdxbox
    ckdxbox Posts: 2 Member
    I would guess Tuesday being higher is the weekend catching up, and Saturday's low numbers are the result of the work week being helpful in keeping to a routine.

Thanks for the feedback and for the new MFP friends. I'll keep tracking to see if the trend continues - but I think Melanie's point about the consistency of a Mon-Fri routine showing up in the Saturday numbers might make sense!