Plus Size Workout Gear

So I've lost 47lbs so far, but am still at 276. I have a 10k upcoming and I do HiiT classes 3 times a week. My current work out gear leaves something to be desired... it rolls down my stomach with every set of mountain climbers and burpee. Also when I run/jog/briskly walk my stomach sways and moves causing such discomfort. I've considered a maternity belly band (isn't that sad?)

Any suggestions?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Sleeveless, short, or long sleeved compression/performance shirt.

Also, and I'm not being snarky, make sure the compression shorts/capris fit. Rolling down Normally means they're too small or too large. Some brands make a higher waisted fit than others. That may or may not help.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    I'm borderline between plus sizes and regular sizes but definitely still obese. Fit is important - try going up a size on the bottom and then go for a tighter fitting compression top. I find higher waisted running tights in the right size help a ton. I get a lot of my stuff at Old Navy because the sizing is generous, they have a pretty good return policy and you can get good deals if you shop sales. Plus their gear doesn't chafe or cause discomfort.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited April 2018
    JunoActive has a $20 off first order coupon too.
    http://www.junonia.com/

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,511 Member
    www.grrrlclothing.com has these amazing next level tights... they sit high on the waist and don't roll... and make you feel invincible. Plus, they're an awesome company! Their sizing is based on athlete body measurements, not traditional sizing. They're also on FB and IG, if you wanna check em out.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Have you seen bib shorts for cycling? If you don't get the kind that are padded, you might prefer them, with a sports bra or tee shirt, to leggings or shorts as they won't roll. Look for them used on ebay and poshmark and similar sites.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    www.grrrlclothing.com has these amazing next level tights... they sit high on the waist and don't roll... and make you feel invincible. Plus, they're an awesome company! Their sizing is based on athlete body measurements, not traditional sizing. They're also on FB and IG, if you wanna check em out.

I second Grrrl clothing! I have also had great luck with Lane Bryant's livi active. it isn't the cheapest, but the leggings keeping everything in place and don't move. I am wearing a pair in my profile pic. Surprisingly, Fabletics has great leggings. You can usually catch a 2 for 24 deal going on every couple months!
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    I can't believe I'm even saying this, but Old Navy active wear is ridiculously great. "Pleasantly surprised" is the understatement of the year. These leggings are squat proof, high-waisted, comfortable as heck, are often on sale, and some of them come with a comfortable drawstring.

I bought a couple of their spandexy material leggings and a few of their standard leggings on a whim due to a major sale. I figured that with as cheap as they were, I'd either toss em or give them to friends who weren't as active. Jeez, man, I really can't get over how great they all are.

With my belly, I need compression for crossfit. These give it. The spandexy material keeps EVERYTHING in place, and the regular ones are almost as good!

Also, the Target brand, C9 ?, is great if you can find your size.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Re: Old Navy - some of the leggings even include real pockets large enough to hold a smartphone...
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    I second (third, fourth) Old Navy. Their high waisted leggings are great. I definitely have the belly jiggle and this stops it completely when I run. Buy a pair, see if you like them, then go back and buy them in every color. Remember - never buy anything at Old Navy or Gap if its not on sale, just wait a few days.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Kohanai wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm even saying this, but Old Navy active wear is ridiculously great. "Pleasantly surprised" is the understatement of the year. These leggings are squat proof, high-waisted, comfortable as heck, are often on sale, and some of them come with a comfortable drawstring.

I bought a couple of their spandexy material leggings and a few of their standard leggings on a whim due to a major sale. I figured that with as cheap as they were, I'd either toss em or give them to friends who weren't as active. Jeez, man, I really can't get over how great they all are.

With my belly, I need compression for crossfit. These give it. The spandexy material keeps EVERYTHING in place, and the regular ones are almost as good!

Also, the Target brand, C9 ?, is great if you can find your size.

Yes, I have also been pleasantly surprised by the comfort and durability of the stuff I've gotten at Old Navy.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    I've needed some new workout clothes and because of all the shout outs to Old Navy, I bought some stuff there tonight for the very first time! We'll see :)
  • KilaMarie88
    KilaMarie88 Posts: 29 Member
    Ummmm so I definitely know what you are talking about!!! Old Navy doesn’t work for me unfortunately with the rolling issue
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    I would check out Old Navy or Torrid.
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Congrats on your weightloss so far!
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    High waisted old navy compression bottoms. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    The high-waisted Old Navy compression leggings were SO great. I wore an XL at 219lbs when I started, and they kept everything locked down so I could move comfortably without hauling up my leggings.
  • roxybeer
    roxybeer Posts: 28 Member
    Old Navy, Fabletics and Torrid are where I buy all my workout gear. I wear a size 18-20 regularly.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Another suggestion I have aside from workout clothing, is to get BodyGlide. If this is your first 5k, you will thank my later. Apply it to your thighs, arms, and anywhere else that will rub as you run. Back to the original question, I find that Lane Bryant has good quality work out clothes that stay put but they are pretty pricey.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Re: Old Navy - some of the leggings even include real pockets large enough to hold a smartphone...

Whaaaat? Why would I ever wear pants again?! :)