FIRST TIME GOING INTO A GYM FOR A LONG TIME

Options
first my story I'm 36 year old male, 5-6, 5-7 tall weigh 137 lbs as of today. I used to weigh around 210lbs for years and last year I decided to change that. fast forward 6-8 months and here I am at 137lbs. I'm using myfitnesspal to keep counts on my calories and now I'm on maintenance which is 2130. my question is do I maintain my calorie count or do I bump it up or down? when working out. right now I'm "skinny fat" but want to change that to have a "tone" body and gain muscles. i'll be using this program that I found online for my workout https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/complete-mf-beginners-training-guide-plan does this program good for a "newbie" like myself?

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Up your calories to about 200-250 over maintenance. Build muscle slowly. Do this for several months, recalculating your maintenance every 4 weeks or so. After several months of this, when you have more muscle on your frame, transition to cut for 2-3 months and then repeat. At least, that's what I did when I was first starting out. And I was very happy with how I progressed over those first couple years like that.
  • somejaykid
    somejaykid Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply I appreciate it :)