Long term ketoers (1 yr or above)

2»

Replies

• melluc2
    melluc2 Posts: 92 Member
    @Running_and_Coffee I'll try that too. That would be easy to change
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Alternate day type eating is actually a "thing". There is the 5:2 Diet where you eat very low calories (~500 for women) on 2 days and higher the other 5. Also the JUDDDD (Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet.

More info can be found on line. I've never done either.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Alternate day type eating is actually a "thing". There is the 5:2 Diet where you eat very low calories (~500 for women) on 2 days and higher the other 5. Also the JUDDDD (Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet.

More info can be found on line. I've never done either.

I had NO idea! And here I thought I'd invented something! But honestly, it has worked, and has come in handy when I've been within sneezing distance of my goal for weeks on end!
  • melluc2
    I'm actually kinda excited. Ive fasted in the past, so I know it's doable. This seems to have a tangible, measurable approach as well.... So I'll know if I'm over eating or not all week. I also like eating some calories on the 'fasting' days because it'll make suppers less painful with family!
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Check out Dr Jason Fung on YouTube for Intermittent Fasting info. He has a couple of books too. I've been doing IF for about a year now, but have only just started keto. I think during longer fasts you enter ketosis as well, so I'm hoping that I'm fairly well fat adapted already. :)
  • melluc2
    Update:

Stopped exercising as much :( still going to run twice a week to maintain cardiovascular strength though for work.

Started fasting a couple of weeks ago. Stopped gaining weight for those weeks. But no weight loss.

Gained 3 pounds this week...(that time of the month) and still have one more fast day to complete. Over ate yesterday, so, I'll take the 200 calories off of today to make the weekly net work out.

Well see if these pounds go away next week or not...but still kinda down about the whole thing.

Made the doctor appointment for a check up and to eventually get a blood test....but that's a month away. Le sigh.

My brother who is on keto (for 5 months) just got his blood work done and had high cholesterol. He never had high cholesterol before. So...I'm worried cause I've been doing this over a year now!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Cholesterol tests are inaccurate anytime you are losing weight...the adipose fat that your body metabolizes for energy circulates in your bloodstream as cholesterol...so unless you have been weight stable for over 6 months, don't even pay attention to the numbers on that particular test.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    They're also inaccurate for LCHF in general. The total number is complete garbage. What matters are the individual numbers, and more importantly, their relationship to one another, as well as the actual size of your LDL particles.

Your total can go up, but your risk go down, because HDL rises a lot and LDL a small amount, and your triglycerides drop. Also, the LDL will increase in particle size, which shows up as "going up" on the standard test, but is actually a good thing, because the larger LDL particles act more like HDL particles.

So, unless everything skyrocketed (in which case, he might be a super-responder and just needs to focus more on monounsaturated fats), there's probably nothing to freak out about until a particle size measurement is done.