How Often

KosmosKitten
KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
Do you wear certain articles of clothing before washing? I've asked this question several times over my relatively short life and I get different answers from person to person (doesn't matter what their gender is). So, what's your timetable?

How often does one wash their bras for example? Some women are "wear it once and wash it" and others I've heard wear theirs for a week before they give it a scrub.

Curious from a social perspective and sort of wondering if maybe I wash my clothes too often.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I usually wear a bra 3 or 4 days before washing, sometimes longer. Not in a row, necessarily. In the summer or after a lot of activity I will wash them after just 1-2 wears.

I wash underpants every time and usually wear 2 pairs per day (I just like to come home & change clothes and that includes underwear even if they're not remotely sweaty or anything like that).

Jeans and most tops/shirts I wear 1-2 times before washing, but skinny jeans wash after every wear just so they fit nicer. I have a few sweaters that are only washed 1-2 times per season.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Clean undies daily.
    Clean trousers weekly.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Underwear needs to be washed after 1 time wearing it. If you don't that's nasty :D

Kinda what I think on the subject, but men apparently have very different ideas. Some I know will wear the same dirty pair more than once or "rotate" them until they can't tolerate the smell anymore. :expressionless:

No!!! Of course that depends what you mean by "more than once". Sometimes after work I bathe and dress to go back out for about one hour, then home for one or two hours before taking mine off to go to bed. So underwear that was worn for only two hours in cooler nighttime temperature might be worn for next days work.

Other clothes - socks follow the same routine as underwear, pants when they look dirty (could be a whole week), shirts one day at work, other shirts two to three days if worn for brief periods at a time. Most places I go are air-conditioned, and my car is as well, so that makes a difference.

For the British among us - I meant trousers when I said pants. That's not the underwear!!
  • KosmosKitten
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Underwear needs to be washed after 1 time wearing it. If you don't that's nasty :D

Kinda what I think on the subject, but men apparently have very different ideas. Some I know will wear the same dirty pair more than once or "rotate" them until they can't tolerate the smell anymore. :expressionless:

Dang...what kind of men are you hangin' with?

None now outside of my husband, lol. Guys I knew from school were like that (and still are). It's as though they never really matured outside of college. I mean, these were also the dudes that had a literal mini-mountain of dirty clothes and an even smaller pile of "clean" clothes they chose from. They did laundry maybe.. once a month or less?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Depends on what I have been doing as to how often clothing gets washed. I am not a super sweaty person with my ordinary activity.

Underpants- 1 time... maybe 2 days on rare occasions
    Bra- several days to a week... depends on weather and activity, sometimes switch bras without washing the previous one because need to wear a different style or color for a day.
    Pants- couple of times unless I was doing yard work or something
    Shirt- maybe twice
    Exercise clothes- 1 time
    Sweater worn over shirt- several times
    Socks I put on only to sleep in- maybe a week
    Socks I walked miles in all day- 1 time
    Pj's- couple of times... maybe a week
    Dress or skirt worn for a couple of hours sitting or standing still might go back in the closet. Not worn often but probably a couple of times.
    Outer coats or jackets- once a season unless I spill something

I can be sensetive to some smells so if I was cooking and my clothing smells like food or I was around someone smoking or a campfire my clothes would need to be washed before I could wear them again.

• DaylightDuchess
    DaylightDuchess Posts: 251 Member
    All underwear {bras, panties & socks} & the 1st layer of clothing atop of them I wash after 1 wear, except for shoes {I wash those & other outerwear, once monthly}! Any 2nd layer clothing {under outerwear & atop of underwear/1st layer}, I wash after 2 wears!
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,080 Member
    Yeah it all goes in the hamper other than jeans.

I actually prefer my jeans on the second wear.
  • activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Holy hell.. rotating underwear?? Never would I stick around to get anywhere near their junk if I knew that.

Only thing I wear more than once is bra if weather isn’t hot, jeans and shoes :)
  • DreamAmalfi
    DreamAmalfi Posts: 211 Member
    Everything worn once gets laundered. Some cringe worthy comments on here ~¿~
  • 123tacos
    123tacos Posts: 661 Member

Gross my teenage boys dont even do this??!
  • KosmosKitten
    Holy hell.. rotating underwear?? Never would I stick around to get anywhere near their junk if I knew that.

Only thing I wear more than once is bra if weather isn’t hot, jeans and shoes :)

123tacos wrote: »

Gross my teenage boys dont even do this??!

Hey, I'm not proud of my previous choices in the "friend/lovers" department, lol. Why do you think I left or refused to hang at their place?!? Yuck.

I made the mistake of cleaning out one friend's apartment who fell into this category.. and I swear that was the most disgusting thing I've ever run across. Piles of dirty clothes all over the floor, beer cans and bottles everywhere, a bathtub that you couldn't use. A bathroom sink that was unrecognizable and pots left on the stove for weeks with the thing he cooked still in them! Yuck.

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    I wash my undies after each wear. But I wear them for 3 days straight, so...
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member

What? No way. :noway:
    Men, women, whomever, but any PERSON who doesn't have enough personal hygiene to do this is utterly disgusting.
    Surely, these men you know are homeless?
    Ain't no way they are dating anyone or can get anywhere in life personally or professionally if they smell like a dirty diaper.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    orangegato wrote: »

What? No way. :noway:
    Men, women, whomever, but any PERSON who doesn't have enough personal hygiene to do this is utterly disgusting.
    Surely, these men you know are homeless?
    Ain't no way they are dating anyone or can get anywhere in life personally or professionally if they smell like a dirty diaper.
    Less money on the water bill. More for video games!
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Stop just stop....