Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So this is fascinating

nettiklive
nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
edited April 2018 in Debate Club
I stumbled on this article as I was looking up info on metabolic testing, something I have been considering doing as I feel years of undereating may have impacted my metabolism. I know this is in no way a scientific paper, but it's pretty incredible if these phenomena are actually true as it describes. Or is it really total BS? Thoughts??

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/heidi-dietrich/changing-my-metabolism_1_b_1432866.html

Replies

• Horsekeeper
    Horsekeeper Posts: 21 Member
    Well, here's a paper from the Pennington Biomedical Center, a campus of the Louisiana State University System, which indicates that losing weight by only cutting calories resulted in a significant decrease in TDEE after 3 months, while a combination of cutting calories by by 12.5% of starting TDEE, combined with doing 12.5% of TDEE in exercise did not seem to decrease TDEE. The very low calorie subjects moved to a maintenance diet after losing 15% of their body weight, and showed the largest decrease in TDEE, and though it did improve somewhat after 6 months, it had not yet returned to their starting TDEE.
    So, to summarize, losing weight by calorie restriction alone seems to impact TDEE, with a large restriction resulting in a lower TDEE, but balancing calorie restriction with exercise (as described in the paper) does not seem to impact TDEE. The paper states that they make no conclusions about long term effects on TDEE.
    This is a really dense paper - I've read it about 10 times at this point, but it seems worth the effort.
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0004377
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited April 2018
    sarahbums wrote: »
    I've seen a few studies on this that draw the same conclusion. I'm inclined to believe it just based on personal experience. When i first started eating more after years of an ED, I gained weight (like half a pound/week) on 1600-1700 calories a day. It sucked. And it stayed that way for at least 5 years. Now i seem to have bounced back and i'm finally able to maintain on 1600 with very little exercise.

I had the opposite experience during refeeding as an in patient and day hospital patient. I was on 3600 cals a day no exercise and I only gained about a 1 lb a week. My metabolism went into overdrive
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    nettiklive wrote: »
    I've seen a few studies on this that draw the same conclusion. I'm inclined to believe it just based on personal experience. When i first started eating more after years of an ED, I gained weight (like half a pound/week) on 1600-1700 calories a day. It sucked. And it stayed that way for at least 5 years. Now i seem to have bounced back and i'm finally able to maintain on 1600 with very little exercise.

I had the opposite experience during refeeding as an in patient and day hospital patient. I was on 3600 cals a day no exercise and I only gained about a 1 lb a week. My metabolism went into overdrive

Yet when I tried suggesting just that in the CICO thread - not that it 'doesn't work', but that some people's bodies simply rev up or slow down metabolic processes dramatically in response to changes in intake - I was shot down and accused of 'woo'.

This paragraph in particular struck me - while it's possible of course that the writer is lying through her teeth, I would doubt it.

"My resting metabolism, taken when lying down, showed that my caloric needs per day (if I wasn’t moving at all) climbed from 1,740 kcal to 2,277. My protein-burning declined from 19 percent to 14.5 percent, and fat-burning at rest went from 0 percent to 58 percent. The results, Dr. Cooper said, indicated that my body now felt adequately fueled and was able to utilize fat reserves"

Seems to go against most of the gospel on this forum, where most posters dismiss individual differences in metabolism as not significant enough to affect weight loss. These figures sound pretty significant to me...

Adaptive thermogenesis is one of the most misunderstood concepts in weight management.

Your metabolism works much like a fire - add more fuel and the BMR adapts accordingly to process the increased intake converting this to reserve energy stores - fat cells. Add less fuel and you get decreased heat (lower BMR), but this adjusts over a matter of days. There is a massive degree of instrumentation error which is often underplayed due to marketing. Would the average person pay money for a DEXA analysis if they knew the degree of error is about the same as a handheld bio-impedence monitor?

The writer's experience is normal - eat more you burn more, but you also store more. Don't fool yourself into thinking your BMR is going to stay at 2277. It will return to mean in 24-48 hours. Long term studies all support trending towards mean.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    The metabolism boost only last for about 6 months. Once my body was repaired from severe malnutrition it went down to the expected rate. I'm guessing restoring after major illness probably takes a lot of calories.

Growth of cells takes a tremendous amount of energy. I'm 6'4" 220 lbs and have a similar BMR to my 10 year old son simply because he is growing. Coming back from injury/illness is a very similar response. Massive shifts in metabolism are expected.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member

This also happened to me, however didn't you 'finally' experience weight gain after a month or so?