how many calories do you eat a day?

Replies

• rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Just testing...seem to have an issue posting.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I'm 53, 5 foot and currently 107 pounds. I eat about 17-1800 calories per day (averaged out over a week - a bit less mon-thur, and a bit more fri-sun). I was about 4-5 pounds lighter last year, but my PT has me eating more and hopefully doing heavier weights (although I am constantly trying to work round a dodgy knee - so irritating).
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I'm also totally amazed by how little so many of you are eating ... I lost about 11 pounds a couple of years back and never went under 1500 cals. I exercise (weights/body weight stuff) 3-4 times a week, and walk a fair bit.
  • brittmcleod123
    brittmcleod123 Posts: 3 Member
    I am on 1700 and its sooo hard to stick to it, I don't want to go to low cos I know it will be too hard to maintain as I already cant stick to 1700.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    1500 to lose, used to eat a lot less but fuuuuuck that, don't want to go back into my ED. Some days I eat at maintenance (1700ish?), once I dropped the initial few lbs I'm happy with any remaining loss to be slower since I don't have a huge amount to lose and also I have body dysmorphia (fast changes are a possible ED trigger as well). Fat as *kitten* but not rushing to change it. Protein helps me stay within my goal.
  • lar25473
    lar25473 Posts: 183 Member
    I'm doing 1700 a day if I can but I don't know if I make it every time.
  • sunnirae2016
    sunnirae2016 Posts: 7 Member
    How much healthy fats can I eat and still lose weight?
  • sunnirae2016
    sunnirae2016 Posts: 7 Member
    I work out 30-60 mins 6 days a week. Ive toned up a lot , but would like to drop a pant size and seem to be stuck at 154. I am 90% vegetarian eat fish once in awhile. any suggestions.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    How much healthy fats can I eat and still lose weight?

MFP gives you pre-set macros to aim for according to your stats. Weight loss is completely dependent on a calorie deficit, not what you eat. If you put your stats into MFP and selected a reasonable rate of loss per week depending on how much you have to lose, and you stick to the calorie goal it gives you, you'll lose weight. Many people find that using a food scale helps them be more precise when sticking to a deficit.
  • eleonora1809
    eleonora1809 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2018
    I used to eat 1500 calories, I thought it’d help me lose weight. Nope. My weight fluctuated and often gained a few kgs.

I’m only 5’3” but 130lbs. Apparently I need to eat 1200 calories to see a change. I finally lose a kg last week. Hopefully I’d lose another kg this week. My goal is to lose 10kg.
  • abguan
    abguan Posts: 8 Member
    I average about 1600 a day. On that amount I have lost 15 lbs in the past 3 months. MFP tells me to eat 1200, but I find that too low to stick with week after week. I exercise every day so my net calories ends up closer to 1200 on average.

I’m 5’6”, 47yo, SW148, CW132, GW125
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    My macro calculator told me 1084 based on my stats and exercise. I haven’t found it difficult unless I do extra exercise in which case I add more calories. So I think it’s a good number for me.
  • abguan
    abguan Posts: 8 Member
    1084 - wut? And you are doing exercise? Unless you are very small, like 4’ tall, that sounds terribly low...
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    abguan wrote: »
    1084 - wut? And you are doing exercise? Unless you are very small, like 4’ tall, that sounds terribly low...

That’s what people keep saying but that’s what the calculators are giving me. 5’1, 111 lbs at 27% body fat is only 81 lbs of lean mass. So I don’t have a lot of body to actually fuel. And my exercises burn only like 75 calories, probably for the same reason.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    abguan wrote: »
    I average about 1600 a day. On that amount I have lost 15 lbs in the past 3 months. MFP tells me to eat 1200, but I find that too low to stick with week after week. I exercise every day so my net calories ends up closer to 1200 on average.

I’m 5’6”, 47yo, SW148, CW132, GW125

very similar to me - I'm 5 6, SW 150ish CW141 GW129
  • glacierlilly1
    glacierlilly1 Posts: 47 Member
    Mldaou wrote: »
    I think Ill be doing about 1000-1200. It's SUPER low but only 5'2 and no time to exercise since I work full time, in grad school, and have two school aged kids.

Me too, I'm 5'2" and if I have any more calories than around 1200 I get chubs, plus I'm 46. I strained my back and sprained my ankle, so just get to focus on healing and nutrition. My current calorie goal is 1081 with 40% protein.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Somewhere between 1200 and 2000 depending on my activity level. I am 5'0 and 117 lbs, but have an Active lifestyle (work at a horse barn, run 1-2 times a week, ride 2-3 times a week, martial arts 3-5 times a week, and some yoga). I use a wristband that keeps track of steps, and try to eat back half of what I burn so I don't end up exhausted.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    I am 5'6" 137#'s very active and MFP say I should eat 2020 and don't eat back exercise calories. I am neither losing or gaining but I feel sooooo much better than when I was eating 1500!
  • jenniemarie1555
    jenniemarie1555 Posts: 5 Member
    MFP puts me at 1200. I've adjusted my macros to fit with the diet that I currently follow. I'm 5'4" fluctuating between 145-150 depending on time of month, but trending downward. I have an athletic build and my weight since high school has been 147ish...gets me a fit/average body type. I'd Rather have the fit/lean.