The Face Problem

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    utahjulia wrote: »
    solieco1 wrote: »
    utahjulia wrote: »
    Ok. So, I lost a lot of weight but have not reached my goal yet. At least 4 people have commented on my face recently. Basically telling me I'm getting too thin and that my face no longer looks good........ Believe me, it seems as if overnight my face has aged 10 years. It has shocked me. I imagine I'm looking at a facelift if I can ever afford it. I'm 49.

Has anyone experienced this? How have you handled it? How has it affected your self esteem? Have you made peace with your face as it is?

Thanks.
    Ok. So, I lost a lot of weight but have not reached my goal yet. At least 4 people have commented on my face recently. Basically telling me I'm getting too thin and that my face no longer looks good........ Believe me, it seems as if overnight my face has aged 10 years. It has shocked me. I imagine I'm looking at a facelift if I can ever afford it. I'm 49.

Has anyone experienced this? How have you handled it? How has it affected your self esteem? Have you made peace with your face as it is?

Thanks.

Maybe i'll tell the next person who says something something along of the lines of, " Yes, I know! Won't you please donate to my plastic surgery Go Fund Me Page" or just plain "plastic surgery fund" !

Try “enough about ME. Let’s talk about YOU for awhile.” Most of the time, shifting to the other person after they’ve overstepped is a great tactic. Ex:
    Them: wow you look awful
    You: having a bad day? I’m sorry. What can I do to help?
    Them: no, I mean your face is so much older now that you’re skinny
    You: it’s not like you to be insulting. What’s bothering you?

I kind of enjoy that game and it’s sure better than letting comments get to me (they do, but I hate to show it).

Your skin probably will settle into your new weight. Be proud.

I do this and it's amazingly effective in a lot of situations :)

Agree! I started doing it when I worked with a woman who greeted me every morning with a comment about how I needed to fix my makeup (“omg girl! Put on some LIPSTICK!” etc) because I looked “tired.” I had a newborn. (She never had kids.) Yes I was tired. Exhausted, really. I started saying “oh, your work is overwhelming you today? You can vent to me anytime.” Lol.

Very good idea. Thanks.
  • saraonly9913
    I went through this too. People *will* comment, whether you want them to or not, LOL! And no, you don't have to pretend that it's okay for someone to make comments about your appearance. You can tell them you don't appreciate it when they point out something about someone else's appearance without being asked to. Anyway, for me, at first, it was really disheartening to hear that even though I was so much healthier, I had wrinkles that were much more noticeable. Then, one day, I pulled up an old photo from my heavier days and REALLY looked at it. I saw how puffy my face looked, with noticeable swelling under the eyes, and how sallow the skin was. Then I looked at a recent photo and saw the puffiness and swelling were gone, and while yes, there were more wrinkles, my skin was also brighter, clearer, and had a youthful glow. Also, over time, the facial sagging perked up a bit, which helped.

Time and patience huh? Hmmmm. Thank you for another way to look at this.
  • saraonly9913
    Brianne559 wrote: »
    Sounds like people you don't need in your life, OP. Anyone who feels the need to comment in this way is not being helpful, just plain rude and unnecessary. If a facelift makes you happy, go for it, but don't take to heart what a few thoughtless humans tell you.

I am doing my best to not let these comments bother me. I also don't know if I can afford plastic surgery. We shall see. I'm talking temporary refuge in the fact that I haven't even reached goal weight yet....and....I want to have a period of maintenance under my belt too. Thanks for your post.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I don't know why people feel a need or right to say this, but they do and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. What is your height and weight? Is there any possibility they might be right? I ask this only because there's been more than one thread on here like this by people who were at the bottom of their weight range.

5"4' 146 , SW 245

Congrats on losing 99 lbs! What is your goal weight? I'm 5"4' and currently at 194, my GW is 137, but I would be happy to see 145 again!! My starting weight was 237, so similar to you.

I hasn't had a negative effect on my face yet. In fact people have started to comment "you've lost a lot of weight" and a couple of people said it made me look younger. These are all people who have never seen me at my GW, and only have seen me between 180-237. I don't even start to look like "myself" until about 165-70.

• chriswalls1208
    chriswalls1208 Posts: 1,039 Member
    I look better in the face without extra weight because my eyelids get so puffy. Guess we're all different. I do think that the skin may tighten up a bit in time. Probably depends on your genetics and things like smoking, sun exposure, etc.
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    You look fantastic don't worry about plus a healthy you good luck
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Hi. I just wanted to comment because I used to be tiny - size 4 for tops, 2, bottom. And when someone saw those pics they told me I was too thin. I was 20 and not at all trying to be thin. People equate round, full cheeks with health and youthfullness. Mentally tell them to stuff a sock in it if they mention anything but there is a cream out there for literally everything. And fascia blaster mini (for the face) can help reshape. Google this, watch the videos. I have the medium one and can tell you it’s wonderful. :) It night help your face. People have wonderful results!
  • saraonly9913
    Liamsm0m wrote: »
    Hi. I just wanted to comment because I used to be tiny - size 4 for tops, 2, bottom. And when someone saw those pics they told me I was too thin. I was 20 and not at all trying to be thin. People equate round, full cheeks with health and youthfullness. Mentally tell them to stuff a sock in it if they mention anything but there is a cream out there for literally everything. And fascia blaster mini (for the face) can help reshape. Google this, watch the videos. I have the medium one and can tell you it’s wonderful. :) It night help your face. People have wonderful results!

Fascia blaster. Never heard of it. I'll google it. Thank you for the info.
  • saraonly9913
    @saraonly9913 - I'm your age, currently down 118 lbs, and I do think I'm starting to look older. Particularly around the mouth and neck. Also my nose magically grew much bigger! But I also notice my neck is much tighter today than a couple of months ago. Your skin will probably continue to tighten and improve for a while. It's a shame that when I look at photos of my weight loss journey, I think my face probably looked best about 30 lbs ago, when I was still very overweight otherwise. But there are so many benefits to being a healthy weight. And my eyes are way bigger and brighter now. Do what's best for your health, and accept that we all get older, and hiding that beneath a big layer of fat is not the best option!

Also, I find the best comeback for unsolicited rude remarks is, "Why would you say that to someone?" Combined with a stare as if the person you're speaking to is an unpleasant piece of roadkill that you can't quite figure out what it was when it was alive.

118 pounds! That's awesome. Congratulations. Oh the nose! Mine was always big. Lol I hear you on our noses! I'm plagued by the neck too!

I love your comment, "Do what's best for your health, and accept that we all get older, and hiding that beneath a big layer of fat is not the best option". Well put! That's the truth!

I laughed at your response at what to say to people who make mean comments. I will save that for the really mean people! Thanks.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Honesty does not have to be rude. It is called social skills. There are some things that we might think in our minds or discuss with close friends that aren't appropriate if said to an acquaintance, especially if the comment was unsolicited. This is lesson I'm currently working on with my son, who has high-functioning autism. He is brutally honest, but that doesn't mean it isn't rude. Looking at a waitress and saying, "where is my food?" is rude, even if it is an honest comment on slow service.

Thank you for teaching your child to be polite. It is sorely lacking these days.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    My wife started calling me boneface. It kind of stung but wearing 32 x 32 jeans more than made up for it. I was more troubled by the turkey gobbler under my chin but again, the jeans. I confess I gained a bunch back so I'm busy going back down and ready for the boneface comments--a signal of success.
  • saraonly9913
    mulecanter wrote: »
    My wife started calling me boneface. It kind of stung but wearing 32 x 32 jeans more than made up for it. I was more troubled by the turkey gobbler under my chin but again, the jeans. I confess I gained a bunch back so I'm busy going back down and ready for the boneface comments--a signal of success.

I wish you the best in your way back down to boneface which I'm sure you will be so proud of! You have a great attitude!
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    I am noticing more lines and eye sag ugh! but I am going to wear it proudly as a badge of honor for life's journey of hard knocks. Plus I'm told the lines make me look more distinguished with my silver streaked hairs...
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    ... my face no longer looks good........ Believe me, it seems as if overnight my face has aged 10 years. It has shocked me. I imagine I'm looking at a facelift if I can ever afford it. I'm 49.

Thanks.

There were periods around 2013 to 2014 when I seriously considered getting my face around the eyes, nasal bridge and jaw area treated with Fraxel and maybe Thermage too. On my small head, any flaw is magnified by 10. Thankfully, patience, my nutrition and at home skin protocols dealt with the errs/irritants I woke up to EVERYDAY.

Years on ... I'm in an ok place for the moment. Your posts, however, led me to the documentary Series "The Ugly Truth about Beauty," on YouTube which pretty much extols negating views I myself haboured ...

https://youtu.be/zccy1EMBBNw

• saraonly9913
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    I am noticing more lines and eye sag ugh! but I am going to wear it proudly as a badge of honor for life's journey of hard knocks. Plus I'm told the lines make me look more distinguished with my silver streaked hairs...

Another person with a great attitude!
  • saraonly9913
    ... my face no longer looks good........ Believe me, it seems as if overnight my face has aged 10 years. It has shocked me. I imagine I'm looking at a facelift if I can ever afford it. I'm 49.

Thanks.

There were periods around 2013 to 2014 when I seriously considered getting my face around the eyes, nasal bridge and jaw area treated with Fraxel and maybe Thermage too. On my small head, any flaw is magnified by 10. Thankfully, patience, my nutrition and at home skin protocols dealt with the errs/irritants I woke up to EVERYDAY.

Years on ... I'm in an ok place for the moment. Your posts, however, led me to the documentary Series "The Ugly Truth about Beauty," on YouTube which pretty much extols negating views I myself haboured ...

https://youtu.be/zccy1EMBBNw

Thank you for answering. I'm going to watch this later when I have free time. I'm glad you are happy with yourself!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    What I found is that it takes some time when you getting thinner for the face to readjust.
    I have had those comments too but since I am in maintenance not anymore. Could be food related, but I think it is because time sort of redistributed things in my body - Also still saw changes in my legs and arms after I entered maintenance. Plenty of fluids could help as well.
    PS when I got those comments I opted to ignore them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!