What tip/rule has helped you the most in your weight loss journey?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Buy a food scale. Use it. Log religiously.

^ I learned this and boom...success!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Use a scale, track everything all day long immediately as consumed or prelogged (packed lunch). Don't cheat ever. Don't log walking under 5000 steps.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    15k steps a day helped me the most.
  • WallisBargh
    WallisBargh Posts: 3 Member
    Just recently I'm back to having a bit more success in the weight loss department. Firstly, realising I use food as a coping mechanism really helps me understand my number one concern is cutting things out my life that added to my stress and caused me to eat more which ended up being my relationship.
    I always eat what I want, if I want it I have it and just make it fit. Yesterday I went out for lunch and don't check the calories until I got home which ended up being 1100! So I worked out when the kids were in bed, and fit in a some fruit and a cuppa.
    Eating to a deficit but not too high of one. It stops me from being so hungry in a morning so my breakfast isn't huge and stops me from being hungry at night and having a binge.
    Smaller plates = smaller portions (but don't scrimp on veg!!)
    Reducing carbs in replacement of more vegetables.
    Eating until full and throwing away food, which is a big deal for me after growing up in a house with huuuuuge portion sizes and the mentality you eat everything you've been served or you've wasted food.
    Make it easier for yourself to succeed. Meal prep if you want to but I don't. Find what you like out and don't be afraid to try new recipes and always make sure there's something that can be made in minutes. I love easy meals such as some microwave cauliflower rice, boiled rice and a seasoned pork chop = 15 minutes!
    Basically unlearning everything I've learnt about food and starting to see it as something that fuels my body with the small daily food that I crave because it makes me feel good.
    Sorry for the essay but this has been really working for me lately.
  • SummerJ18
    SummerJ18 Posts: 1 Member
    All great, helpful suggestions. I’m new to this so I find it very helpful.
  • judefit18
    judefit18 Posts: 38 Member
    Like many people, I emphasize the veggies, raw and plentiful- and that's my biggest tip. Many many veggies keep me going.

I always either measure quantity or use the scale for things I know are "heavy" calories, or things that are treats- this is where I can really lose track and a measuring cup or the scale is my best defense against self- delusion!

When I travel, I'll aim for a similar breakfast/lunch to when at home and only have one "treat" at dinner- EITHER wine OR french fries- not both. Makes me be a conscientious chooser, and gives me control

OH- and SOMETHING NEW TO WEAR any time I am down a size- it's a real cheer to look in a dressing room mirror and be happy for a change! :-)
  • friersonlr
    friersonlr Posts: 1 Member
    Eat until your satisfied not until your full. I eat every 2.5-3 hours and make sure your eating enough for your body needs. I used to not lose because i was eating clean but not enough, then i added rice or potatoes mor cals and like magic lbs started to melt away
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    I tell myself everyday now "if not today, then when?"
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    I agree with the "Do it anyway" comment. I didn't want to workout last night after work but I put my workout clothes on and did it anyway. Felt so much better afterward too:)
    Plan your meals, use a food scale, weigh regularly, and find likeminded friends.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Eat less and move more. I eat nutritious foods to live and I do not live to eat, and I exercise for fitness and fun (not because it gives more calories...). Weigh and log food? yes, at home but not on vacation or when eating out, but I am mindful of portion control and I don't take vacations or outing as an excuse to stuff myself. I don't eat because I am bored or because I am stressful. I find other ways to cope with negative feelings.

Everybody has different ways to cope with weight loss and maintenance, you have to find yours. What works for some people may not work for others. It takes practice, commitment, resilience, perseverance, consistency and patience. It also means that you have to be vigilant once you get to your goal weight, and jump back in the wagon if the weigh starts to creep up again.

Good luck!