Are these even close to accurate?

Hi Friends,

Are Fitbit's even in the ballpark for accuracy for calories burned during a workout? I know in my head I'd like to think that I burn 1000 calories during a workout (lol), but my Fitbit said that I burned 800+ calories this morning during my workout, I put it in the Map My Fitness at at it was about half that. Is there anything that can truly track? I don't want to eat all the extra calories I am getting but today I AM starving!!!

Thanks for any feedback!
Christan

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    What was the workout?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Mine is fairly accurate sometimes but I don't rely on it. I know roughly the burns of most things I do so when I see FitBit doing something wonky, I just delete the workout and input the workout manually, including the calories.

Mine gets wonky sometimes mostly due to the HRM doing something weird. Like yesterday I did a 45 minute interval ride on my bike trainer...in the working sessions, my HR was 155 per my Garmin bike computer and HRM chest strap...but my FitBit was giving me a HR of 88. FitBit in this case ended up underestimating my calorie expenditure.

On Monday evening we went out as a family to walk the dog and we go about 1 mile. At one point FitBit was giving me a HR of 150 and there's no way that's possible with a little family dog walk at about 3 MPH on a flat surface...it gave me over 200 calories for a mile long walk...I just deleted it.

All in all, I've found my FitBit to be relatively accurate in total calories per day...it appears to be on average inflated by 150-200 calories per day as compared to my own data. So if it tells me I burned 3200 calories in a day, I presume it was closer to 3,000...if it gives me 3,000 I presume it's closer to 2,800 for the day, etc.

Also, if you're doing a lot of anaerobic work where your HR gets really high in short bursts and then comes back down, your FitBit and any other HRM will inflate energy expenditure from that workout. Mine is usually fairly commensurate with what I know for cycling, but as exampled above, sometimes it can be wonky. Weight lifting is pretty much hit or miss. Sometimes it will give me something comparable to what my own data indicates which is about 130-150 calories per 30 minutes...and then sometimes it'll give me like 300 calories for a 30 minutes lifting session which I know is absurdly high.
  • newshell_mom
    newshell_mom Posts: 12 Member
    It was a boxing/cardio class
  • MeanderingMammal
    It was a boxing/cardio class

Not even remotely close. Probably the lowest estimate is optimistic
  • newshell_mom
    newshell_mom Posts: 12 Member
    The class had HIIT style burst as well
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    My fitbit has been very reliable except for the first month when I had to play around with the stride lengths for running and walking.

Something in your settings is wrong if it is giving you a burn that high.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    It's usually close for running or walking. Anything else is a crapshoot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

HRMs are very bad at estimating calories for this kind of activity. HRMs generally do a reasonable job of estimating calories expended for steady state aerobic cardio.
  • Ryan__JV
    Ryan__JV Posts: 3 Member

I would like to think that you burned from 400-700 total. The effects of EPOC (excessive post exercise oxygen consumption) will make you burn calories for a while after the workout as well. The trackers I have had were grossly inaccurate with the HRM and caloric burn. I had a Surge and now I have an apple watch that differ quite a bit in my workouts.

Everyone is different so taking all of your workout totals with a grain of salt is best. A generalization is better than me forgetting my watch for my workout this morning haha. Getting into the gym to look at your wrist with nothing on it SUCKS!!!

Ryan

• JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    It's usually close for running or walking. Anything else is a crapshoot.

This exactly. Your FitBit is meant to measure steps. Boxing is way outside of what it can accurately measure.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Ryan__JV wrote: »
    The effects of EPOC (excessive post exercise oxygen consumption) will make you burn calories for a while after the workout as well.

The effect might be 3-5% of net calories, so negligible. A 45 minute class of the type described might do 250-300 calories, so you could get an additional 15 calories from EPOC.