C25K question about the ramp up schedule

concordancia
concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Now that I am walking at least 10k steps a day, well that is time consuming. Plus, my fasting blood glucose levels are best when I have more intense workouts the day before, so I need more intense options, especially with my bike currently blocked in the garage by 300 lbs. of anchor chain that won't be moving until we get the old chain off the boat.

I have to ramp up all exercise gradually, due to some skeletomuscular issues. I was able to run a minute at a time (barely) for W1D1, but I was not able to complete all 8 runs. I did 3, skipped one, ran one, skipped one and part of the next, then ran about 30 seconds for the final. My back still isn't quite sure I went easy enough. When I recover, I may try skipping every other run. I was also thinking of doing that away from home, then walking back, rather than trying to create a loop like I did today, which means I still have half my steps to get in.

I like the app telling me when it was time to switch, but is there a similar app that starts with shorter runs? I think run 30, walk 90 (or even 120) might be a better start for me. Obviously, I am also concerned with how much different week 2 will be from week 1, once I am able to do all 8 one minute runs. I have been modifying exercise most of my adult life, so I can figure this out, I just figured if someone knew of an existing app that ramped up even slower, I should give it a try.

Replies

• rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Last time i used it, i just took each exercise several times until i could complet it
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    I cannot comment on any skeletomuscular issues. Please take your doctor's advice on this issue.

Congratulations on starting C25K! It is hard at first. Running for 1 minute is an achievement. Don't sell yourself short.

What caused you to skip some of the run intervals? Was it the skeletomuscular issues or a running issue (lack of breath, sore legs)?
    If the former, please be careful and listen to your doctor.
    If the latter, slow down. Most people start by running too quickly.You will feel as if you are running "too slow" when you are running too fast.
    How are your shoes? If they are worn out, they won't support you as they should.

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    There's no reason not to repeat Week 1 of Couch to 5K as many times as you need to. Perhaps make the jogging portion a little shorter and the walking portions a little longer. It will take time and there's no rush! I don't have any experience with another app, so I'm no help there. But I did repeat Week 3 because I just wasn't able to progress so fast.

Since you mentioned skeletomuscular issues, I would highly recommend that you go to a running store (not a big box store) and have an employee fit you for better, brand new shoes. When I went, a man had me try on four different pairs and watched me jog on the sidewalk outside the store to analyze my jogging gait. I bought a pair and am so glad I did. I was prone to shin splints and even once tore an Achilles tendon. I finished the Couch to 5K program, and eventually a 5K race, with no hip, knee, shin or tendon pain - ever! I'm convinced that good shoes are a worthwhile investment and prevented injuries I may be prone to.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited April 2018
    Decide how much you can do and then cut that by 25%. Do that amount for 2-3 weeks. Give your body time. It's not a test and there's no deadline. :) Good Luck!

p.s. yes on the shoe advice above too!
  • concordancia
    I am good on shoes, as trail running shoes are my favorite walking shoes and my physical therapist has looked at both my walking and running gait with them. They are the most expensive pair of shoes I have ever owned and I went ahead and bought a second pair after a couple of weeks because they were working so well for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. Next run will probably be every other interval, maybe two on, one off, depending on how my body feels over the next couple of days, I think the issue was with doing three straight intervals before admitting that I was pushing too hard.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited April 2018
    Try this one. Don't move on until totally good with current week.
    uoazmefyfopl.png
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    If you want to modify your own program then go for it! You could do a 5 minute walk, then do a 30 second run followed by a 90 second walk, repeat for 20 minutes, then do another 5 minute walk. That should be 30 minutes if I'm doing math correctly?

Once you can do that for a week then move on to the Week 1 in the C25K program. There's no wrong or right way to do this, make it up as you need to for your situation.

And the advice for getting fitted for real running shoes from a real running shoe store is a great start! I did that once I got to about Week 3 in the program and it was the best thing I did! Short runs in bad shoes, not so bad. Longer runs in bad shoes? No bueno...

Good luck!
  • ashley52601
    ashley52601 Posts: 42 Member
    If I'm not mistaken, you were looking for advice not on HOW to modify but an app that would allow you to do so, correct? I just bought and downloaded the Run double app and you can enter a custom run with your run, walk intervals. I'm not sure if this is available on the free version or not but I bought unlimited for access to all the training plans for only $3. They have a traditional 0 to 5k plan included but they are all typically the same so I'm guessing you'd still need to modify.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    If you're finding it difficult, it's possible you are pushing too hard on your run intervals. You should be doing them at a pace at which you would still be able to hold a conversation (yeah, I laughed at that too when I first did C25K!). Try slowing your pace next time and see how you go. And as others have said, it's fine to keep repeating until you feel comfortable moving on to the next week.
  • concordancia
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    If you're finding it difficult, it's possible you are pushing too hard on your run intervals. You should be doing them at a pace at which you would still be able to hold a conversation (yeah, I laughed at that too when I first did C25K!). Try slowing your pace next time and see how you go. And as others have said, it's fine to keep repeating until you feel comfortable moving on to the next week.

I push myself to the edge of conversation level walking!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I push myself to the edge of conversation level walking!

Okay, then you're start out pace for running should be about the same as your walking pace. Yes, I know that seems painfully slow, you will get faster :)