How much weight until people notice?

I am 5'4" and began my weight loss journey at 221lbs... I am now 205lbs and not one person has mentioned anything about me looking lighter or thinner. I know its early days but when will people start noticing? I feel like that would be a huge boost to me, hearing people tell me I have lost weight and am looking good.

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    It should be soon! My perspective is it takes about 10% loss for others to first notice a change. Partially, because they don't see us naked!!! lol
  • xxzoiiexx
    xxzoiiexx Posts: 51 Member
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    It should be soon! My perspective is it takes about 10% loss for others to first notice a change. Partially, because they don't see us naked!!! lol

Ha! Thanks for the response. It always makes things seem easier when people start noticing a difference!
  • robinbarr47
    robinbarr47 Posts: 1 Member
    Have you tried measuring yourself, sometimes that helps motivate me. Even tho nobody else see it I can.
  • xxzoiiexx
    Have you tried measuring yourself, sometimes that helps motivate me. Even tho nobody else see it I can.

I haven't, but will definitely give it a go. Thanks
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Sometimes people will notice but not say anything because they don't know how you'll take it. It depends on the person whether they want to hear comments or not! For example I don't mind people commenting so long as they're not weird about it but my sister hates it and it makes her really anxious for anyone to comment on her body, even if it's positive. So they could just not know what variety of person you are!

I think measuring yourself or taking your own progress photos would be a good way of getting that validation from yourself rather than other people, your own good opinion is the most important anyway! :)
  • xxzoiiexx
    smolmaus wrote: »
    Sometimes people will notice but not say anything because they don't know how you'll take it. It depends on the person whether they want to hear comments or not! For example I don't mind people commenting so long as they're not weird about it but my sister hates it and it makes her really anxious for anyone to comment on her body, even if it's positive. So they could just not know what variety of person you are!

I think measuring yourself or taking your own progress photos would be a good way of getting that validation from yourself rather than other people, your own good opinion is the most important anyway! :)

You're definitely right :) just sometimes feels like nothing is changing even though I know it is
  • katie1234
    katie1234 Posts: 74 Member
    xxzoiiexx wrote: »
    I am 5'4" and began my weight loss journey at 221lbs... I am now 205lbs and not one person has mentioned anything about me looking lighter or thinner. I know its early days but when will people start noticing? I feel like that would be a huge boost to me, hearing people tell me I have lost weight and am looking good.

I'm down 10-12lbs and only my aunt has noticed so far - but her comments did give me a big boost. I think in 10lbs more it will be undeniable :)
  • xxzoiiexx
    katie1234 wrote: »

I'm down 10-12lbs and only my aunt has noticed so far - but her comments did give me a big boost. I think in 10lbs more it will be undeniable :)

That's excellent congrats on your loss.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Noticing is one thing, speaking up is something else.

You made any moves to change your look? When I made a move to smaller clothes that actually fit right, people started to noice and speak up.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Personally, unless someone explicitly told me that they were trying to lose weight, I wouldn’t comment on their weight, period. And I don’t mean if they say they’re going to the gym or making a show of having a salad for lunch, I mean if a friend said “I’m unhappy with my weight and I’m trying to make it go down”, then I would sorta feel that it would be ok to make a (positive only) comment if I noticed progress.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    rj0150684 wrote: »
    Personally, unless someone explicitly told me that they were trying to lose weight, I wouldn’t comment on their weight, period. And I don’t mean if they say they’re going to the gym or making a show of having a salad for lunch, I mean if a friend said “I’m unhappy with my weight and I’m trying to make it go down”, then I would sorta feel that it would be ok to make a (positive only) comment if I noticed progress.

This. Commenting on people's weight, even if you mean it to be positive, is risky. Maybe the person losing weight takes it wrong and thinks you're saying they looked worse at a higher weight, or feels self-conscious that you are paying attention to their appearance. Or maybe they aren't trying to lose weight and are actually sick, or too depressed to eat. I never comment on weight loss unless I know someone is actively trying to lose weight, otherwise I might be accidentally stepping into a minefield.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    I'm 5'4".... started at 288 lbs and no one mentioned anything till I hit about 230 lbs.

I had a running bet going with my husband on just how long it was going to take. lol.

I'm now 181 lbs - I've lost 107 lbs in about 12 months..... and yes lots of people have commented..... how could they not when they see me everyday?

• cjhabvala
    cjhabvala Posts: 4 Member
    What is important is that YOU notice a difference. As your clothes start to feel looser, and as you have more energy, that will make a big difference!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited April 2018

I agree so much with ALL of the above!!

I also wanna add that sometimes the comments come in "waves". When I lost my first chunk of weight, going from 307 down to 270 lb, that was so major to me but my mom was the only person who commented...and it did happen very slowly (a few years). But then when I went from 270 to 240s-250s, pretty much every person I knew even casually, commented on it and that was partly because it happened more quickly (thanks to MFP) and partly because it occurred at a size where I really had to replace my clothes. I'd been wearing 3X forever and by then I needed 2X and a few 1X, quickly replaced by XL and so forth... When you are wearing a size or two down, and have some newer more fitted items on, people really notice and tend to comment then (in my experience).

As for the "waves" I mentioned, I experienced that several times. I've gone down to 160s-170s over time and the comments always came 3-4 at a time and then maybe nothing for 6 months.

• skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member

I agree so much with ALL of the above!!

I also wanna add that sometimes the comments come in "waves". When I lost my first chunk of weight, going from 307 down to 270 lb, that was so major to me but my mom was the only person who commented...and it did happen very slowly (a few years). But then when I went from 270 to 240s-250s, pretty much every person I knew even casually, commented on it and that was partly because it happened more quickly (thanks to MFP) and partly because it occurred at a size where I really had to replace my clothes. I'd been wearing 3X forever and by then I needed 2X and a few 1X, quickly replaced by XL and so forth... When you are wearing a size or two down, and have some newer more fitted items on, people really notice and tend to comment then (in my experience).

As for the "waves" I mentioned, I experienced that several times. I've gone down to 160s-170s over time and the comments always came 3-4 at a time and then maybe nothing for 6 months.

New cloth is really the thing people notice I think. Cuz when you are big,your baggy cloth became a little bit loose is not very clear to people unless they know you are trying to lose weight, but when you wear new better fitted cloth one size down, people will start commenting how much better you look.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Talking about one's weight whether to compliment or otherwise is rather taboo. Lots of people can't take a compliment when it comes to weight and they interpret, "wow, you look great, did you lose some weight." to "wow, you used to look like a big fat piece of *kitten*" so many people will never comment at all.

Just do a search on MFP for all of the threads with people wishing people wouldn't comment.

Beyond that, it depends on how much you have to lose and how your fat is distributed. I lost 40 Lbs and nobody ever commented until I was a good 20-25 Lbs down because they could start to see it in my face. Most day to day people never said anything, even when It was plainly obvious that I went from having a big gut to a flat stomach. I got more comments from people who would go months without seeing me...and even then, it was few and far between.

If you're doing this for other people's comments, you're likely to be sorely disappointed.
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    I'd lost about 3 stone (42lbs) before the comments began. The very first one was "I didn't ask because I didn't know if you'd just got tighter trousers on!" Well, I had... because my old ones were 3 sizes too big by then!

Think as others have suggested, people don't always like to comment, especially if they aren't certain how their thoughts will be received. I began needing to lose 8 stone & being realistic, the first couple I lost likely weren't all that obvious.

Now I'm a few pounds away from 5 stone gone, I get comments all the time. There was a phase there that was really quite uncomfortable for me cos it felt like noone wanted to talk about anything else but my weight loss. My point is, sometimes folk can't do right for doing wrong! Most folk mean well though & will comment when they feel the circumstances are right.

Additionally, weight loss time feels skewed I believe. It seems to go simultaneously at lightening speed/wading through mud. We may think it's taken us forever to lose 20lbs, but to the rest of the world it's a pretty short time frame & time is exactly what's needed to register these things!

Well done on your loss so far, it's no small number & you should be very proud :)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Everyone noticed when I was in smaller sized clothing. If I was in my same clothing...no they said nothing.
  • xxzoiiexx
    Thanks for the replies everyone