C25K Calorie Estimates

I have walked about 370 miles so far this year and would like to start jogging to shorten the amount of time needed to cover the same distances and to increase the amount of calories I burn. It may sound silly but the main thing that has prevented me from starting is not knowing how to calculate the number of calories burned when I am mixing walking and jogging into the same workout. Thanks to the wonderful MFP community I learned about the wildly overstated estimates that MapMyWalk would show, the differences between net and gross, and to use the (weight) X (distance in miles) X (0.3) to calculate the net calories burned for my walks. The 0.63 multiplier for jogging is tempting me! :smile: What I don't know is how best estimate net calories burned when I mix the two into the same workout...

I am hoping the C25K app is the answer. Have found that the calorie estimates that are included are accurate? What has been your experience? Is there another method you use to get a good estimate?

Thanks!

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I have the UA Record app on my phone synced with the MFP app, so when I would "run" using the C25K program (even though it was a mix of walking/jogging) I would input my time spent running and the distance covered and it would give me a calorie burn figure that seemed pretty accurate (less than the MFP app would give and less than the treadmill would show). I never ate back all of my exercise calories anyway so it wasn't a huge issue for me if it was off a bit, but I always felt very comfortable with the figure (since it was lower than the other numbers I would be getting from apps/devices).
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Thanks @briscogun

I had missed another post that had some good replies concerning this.

I would still love to hear from any others!
  • ashley52601
    ashley52601 Posts: 42 Member
    From what I've heard, for the most part it's the distance you cover not how fast you're going that really makes a difference on calorie expenditure. For example 3 miles run vs 3 miles walked will be very similar, just that you'll be done quicker if running.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    From what I've heard, for the most part it's the distance you cover not how fast you're going that really makes a difference on calorie expenditure. For example 3 miles run vs 3 miles walked will be very similar, just that you'll be done quicker if running.

Running burns roughly twice the calories that walking does over the same distance.

Walking calories: Distance (miles) x weight (lbs) x 0.3.

Running calories: Miles x lbs x 0.63.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    I use the MapMyRun/MapMyWalk (doesn't matter which) because it adjusts my calories burned depending on speed. The biggest problems with these apps is that they double count your calories burned by counting your regular "just existing" calories as well as the calories from exercise, so I take that into account by knowing that they overshoot by about 100 calories an hour (for my BMR, your mileage may vary). So if I go on a two hour walk/run and it gives me 780 calories burned, I subtract 200 calories from that to get a better guess at what I actually burned. If it gives me 600 burned because I walked the whole thing, I still subtract 200 for my "existing" calories. So far this seems to be working for me.

Otherwise, there is this more comprehensive calculator https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1350891527