gaining muscle help

After losing my belly fat I now want to build some muscle (if possible).
I have upped my calorie intake up to 2500 a day from 1650 especially protein but worried that I will gain fat again.
I have started weights routine at gym which I plan to do 4 times a week, do I eat more calories everyday even on days I am not at gym?
I’ve felt really bloated since I started and weigh more already which can’t be muscle
Could anyone look at my food diary for last two days and let me know if I’m eating right stuff?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    It's not a matter of eating the "right stuff". It's a matter of eating the right amount of calories and getting adequate protein intake while on a well designed strength training program (which, in most cases, is not one you made up yourself). No matter how "clean" you eat, if you're in a big surplus you're going to gain fat.

Here's some reading which you may find helpful:

https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/

https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    most likely the weight gain has to do with 3 things:
    1. More undigested food in your system
    2. replenishment of glycogen stores after getting off lower cals (increases water retention)
    3. increased water retention due to the muslces storeing water to protect them and aid in recovery. protecting them from the micro tears that come from lifting. Once you get used to the new intake and routine the water retention should balance out.

the other piece, if 2500 is a surplus, you will gain a little fat while you put on muscle. If 2500 is maintenance, then muscle growth will be very slow, but you will gain some while losing a little fat.

For workout program, are you following a well structured begginer program that has built in progressive overload? If not, look into starting strength, strong lifts 5x5, or somehting like that.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's not a matter of eating the "right stuff". It's a matter of eating the right amount of calories and getting adequate protein intake while on a well designed strength training program (which, in most cases, is not one you made up yourself). No matter how "clean" you eat, if you're in a big surplus you're going to gain fat.

Here's some reading which you may find helpful:

https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/

https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/

Yep
    erickirb wrote: »
    most likely the weight gain has to do with 3 things:
    1. More undigested food in your system
    2. replenishment of glycogen stores after getting off lower cals (increases water retention)
    3. increased water retention due to the muslces storeing water to protect them and aid in recovery. protecting them from the micro tears that come from lifting. Once you get used to the new intake and routine the water retention should balance out.

the other piece, if 2500 is a surplus, you will gain a little fat while you put on muscle. If 2500 is maintenance, then muscle growth will be very slow, but you will gain some while losing a little fat.

For workout program, are you following a well structured begginer program that has built in progressive overload? If not, look into starting strength, strong lifts 5x5, or somehting like that.

And yep.

Eat in a caloric surplus of around 250 cals. While following a REAL structured lifting program. Do not use your own programs. It's almost guaranteed to be suboptimal and will hinder your gains.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Can't find anything to add to the already great advice above.
  • 39andfat
    39andfat Posts: 144 Member
    My maintainence daily calories is 2100. I have been consuming 2500 whilst following programme i found online.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    39andfat wrote: »
    My maintainence daily calories is 2100. I have been consuming 2500 whilst following programme i found online.

Good job bro. Your years ahead of most already. Just Keep in mind that some fat gains are inevitable. Just don't let that scare. The moment I really started really making progress when was I stopped being overly worried with fat gains