Recipes on a budget?

QueenJojoPop
QueenJojoPop Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2018 in Getting Started
I'm looking for some low calorie meal recipes for someone on a budget, any ideas?
recipes with as little dairy as posible would be great.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    One of my favourite themes!

Good news, all food is diet food if you weigh out a portion that fits your goals.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/dairy-free/
  • jgnatca
    Cooking beans and lentils from dry are low budget and full of fiber. One of my favourites:

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/361132463863240347/
  • jgnatca
    Another strategy I will follow is cook up a roast on Sunday (that is bigger than I need) and then prep the leftovers to use during the week. Each day can be varied by changing the side from rice/potatoes/pasta and different sauces. Bones can be used to make stock for soups and stews. Soups and stews are lighter calorie and very low budget.

The roast could be chicken, beef, pork loin.
  • jgnatca
    I will cook up a whole family pack of hamburger in to meatballs (and the meat that doesn't fit on the baking tray I stuff in to pans for meatloaf). I bake the meatballs in the oven and I have ready-made meatballs I can freeze. I can make a sweet and sour sauce for the meatballs, or make spaghetti.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Budgetbytes has been mentioned already
    Also adding Cooking on a Bootstrap by Jack Monroe A favourite of mine for low budget but totally delicious food
    Both are also great if you are not on a budget but are looking for some interesting recipes that go a long way
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    We're all on a budget, both money- and calorie-wise. Break it down and build it up differently.
    Look at your calorie allowance for the day. You're supposed to use all of it, but not exceed it. Decide how many calories you want to spend on each meal/snack, while you think about what you want for each meal/snack.
    Figure out, for yourself, what constitutes an acceptable meal. For me, dinner has to have protein, starch, and vegs. All meals should have vegetables. I want at least two portions of fruit per day, and some nuts every week. I also need variety.
    Then look for recipes. Google recipe name, or meal name, or ingredients. Learn to cook.
    Learn about prices too. And plan to avoid waste.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    My two favorites for both meal prep and budget conscious meals:

Bake a whole chicken in the oven. Cheaper than the cut up pieces and not full of "solution" like the rotisserie ones at the grocery store. This will make many meals for the week.

Make a big pot of beans, chili or soup (crockpot if you have one). Can be portioned out for lunches or dinners. If you don't have a crockpot, it is a worthy investment. Goodwill or other charity store has them for around $5.

Another tip to save the budget is to shop at the discount groceries. Google "discount grocery near me" and you'd probably be surprised. I found several in my area and the prices are pretty rock bottom, especially for produce. The biggest one had been there for 10 years and I never knew about it because they don't advertise!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Make a pot of rice. Put a Tablespoon of oil in a big pan, and cook up some diced chicken breast. Toss in broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic and whatever else you like. You can put in some water chestnuts for a little crunch, too. You'll no doubt have leftover rice, so the next day you can heat up a can of black beans and cut up some tomatoes, a sprinkling of no more than an ounce of cheese, some salsa, and put it all into a tortilla. I usually add in some avocado if they're on sale.