So cold all the time :(

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss! It does take a while for the body to readjust to it's new size. If it doesn't improve, please check with your doctor. It could be a sign of an under active thyroid. It might also be a sign of anemia. Both tend to make you feel cold when no one else is chilly. And the two can often go hand in hand.
  • laurenbastug
    laurenbastug Posts: 307 Member
    @fittocycle thanks so much! Yes, definitely possibilities. Not to get all dr. Phil but my dad is a hypochondriac so I kinda grew up the opposite in which I don’t like to get things medically checked out in fear of seeming overactive lol I know it’s totally silly and a little dangerous but I think if, after my diet break and upping my activity (NEAT), I don’t see any improvement, I’ll get it checked out. Can’t be wearing a parka in Central Park in the middle of summer haha
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    diet breaks wont help (why would they?)

get a space heater for near where you sit. wear layers. get used to always being cold.

the way things are is the way things are.

From what I understand, diet breaks help re-regulate hormones that are suppressed/compromised during a diet - body temperature is regulated by hormones so not sure how a diet break WOULDN'T have an impact.

agreed. Lyle McDonald has talked about this quite a bit. especially a solid 14 day break at maintenance. it did wonders for me after about 8 months and 80 pounds. I was freezing, starving etc. felt much better after. wish I had done more throughout.
  • laurenbastug
    jdog022 wrote: »
    diet breaks wont help (why would they?)

get a space heater for near where you sit. wear layers. get used to always being cold.

the way things are is the way things are.

From what I understand, diet breaks help re-regulate hormones that are suppressed/compromised during a diet - body temperature is regulated by hormones so not sure how a diet break WOULDN'T have an impact.

agreed. Lyle McDonald has talked about this quite a bit. especially a solid 14 day break at maintenance. it did wonders for me after about 8 months and 80 pounds. I was freezing, starving etc. felt much better after. wish I had done more throughout.

That’s awesome! Of course nervous about weight fluctuations/regressing progress but it’s a mental hurdle i’ll have to get over considering the benefits a diet break can/will provide.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Always freezing. I did noticed more after weight loss. But I've also put on another 20 lbs since my lowest. Gah. My fingers are cold while I type this.
  • laurenbastug
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Always freezing. I did noticed more after weight loss. But I've also put on another 20 lbs since my lowest. Gah. My fingers are cold while I type this.

haha i almost think about breaking out gloves at my office :p
  • Boudicae
    Boudicae Posts: 4 Member
    A: if you work at a desk, get a deskcycle. My office is incapable of being a normal, comfortable temperature, and when the air is blowing right on me a few minutes of pedaling gets me warmed right up. Bonus, burn a couple hundred extra calories and get to eat more.

B: learn to knit. You'll soon have so many hand-knit wool sweaters you'll actively look forward to cooler temps, and be sad when it gets too hot to wear them.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Oh, do I feel your pain! I'm hypothyroid with hypotension. If I sit typing at a desk too long, my hands become ice blocks, despite my always wearing a sweater. I actually bought a pair of fingerless gloves to use when I worked in an office. Can you get a small heater to put under your desk?
  • laurenbastug
    Boudicae wrote: »
    A: if you work at a desk, get a deskcycle. My office is incapable of being a normal, comfortable temperature, and when the air is blowing right on me a few minutes of pedaling gets me warmed right up. Bonus, burn a couple hundred extra calories and get to eat more.

B: learn to knit. You'll soon have so many hand-knit wool sweaters you'll actively look forward to cooler temps, and be sad when it gets too hot to wear them.

I will look into this! Thanks :)
  • laurenbastug
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    Oh, do I feel your pain! I'm hypothyroid with hypotension. If I sit typing at a desk too long, my hands become ice blocks, despite my always wearing a sweater. I actually bought a pair of fingerless gloves to use when I worked in an office. Can you get a small heater to put under your desk?

Omgosh! Sorry to hear you go through this too! Unfortunately we’re not allowed to have space heaters :/ I think I need to look at ways I can get moving at my desk. Thank you!
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    @andreaen @PAV8888 - I am at a desk most of the day (walking in the morning and afternoon to/from car/bus terminal) + lifting/cardio in the evenings, but I think I'll try upping my walking during the day too to see if that will help.

Thanks both!

You should really do that, just get up from your desk a few times during the day and move around a little bit if you can. I had a desk job this summer and ended up getting coffee once every hour just to move a bit
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Leg warmers and arm warmers. You can get cute thin arm warmers without fingers or thumbs. Also the legs warmers can be worn and pulled off in the car ect as it gets warmer.dont laugh, I get many compliment,they make cute ones.also don’t forget the lighter leg warmers can also be worn on your forearms. A larger scarf can act as a temporary Shaw too, the draping of a scarf can be fashionable and look classy. They sell a Kilt pin at wall mart in the fabric dept and you can pin your scarf in any number of ways. I also wear camisoles under everything. You will probably have to order the arm warmers online, they are cheap.Theres nothing worse than being cold, it’s been a really cold spring too!
  • Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    Are you getting enough iron? Sometimes feeling cold all the time is a symptom of iron deficiency.
  • laurenbastug
    Are you getting enough iron? Sometimes feeling cold all the time is a symptom of iron deficiency.

I think so, I eat lean red meats on a regularish basis but I can look into that more too!

• DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    I can relate with you. I’m cold 24/7. Unless it’s 75F or higher, I’m always cold. It may be due to my weight, I’m 5’4” and weigh 110. I’ve been eating at maintenance since December and haven’t felt a change. I’ve also been taking iron supplements to see if that would help but no luck as of yet. If you warm up from eating at maintenance let us know!
  • laurenbastug
    DarianJP wrote: »
    I can relate with you. I’m cold 24/7. Unless it’s 75F or higher, I’m always cold. It may be due to my weight, I’m 5’4” and weigh 110. I’ve been eating at maintenance since December and haven’t felt a change. I’ve also been taking iron supplements to see if that would help but no luck as of yet. If you warm up from eating at maintenance let us know!

Sorry to hear you deal with it too! I know in the grand scheme of issues to have it could be much worse, but it’s so annoying when everyone’s like wow this weather is so warm and i’m like uhhh yeah can’t relate. Hmm interesting upping your calls and iron supplements haven’t made any difference. Maybe it’ll be a gradual improvement over time. But i will definitely let ya know :) Stay warm! lol
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    This was me, freezing all the time, found out I was really low in iron and since being on iron tablets my temp has been much more regulated.
  • laurenbastug
    monica182 wrote: »
    This was me, freezing all the time, found out I was really low in iron and since being on iron tablets my temp has been much more regulated.

Hmm good to know and glad to hear it got better for you. I presume it’s a blood test?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I have a space heater under my desk at work.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I'm in the overweight category in terms of my body fat and I'm always cold. Anything below 70 ish degrees is cold to me. I was the same when my body fat was in the normal range. I have no idea why.