Gym Routines?

Hi All,
46 year old at 80kg :(
Need to rejoin gym but don’t want it to be same old boring routine that makes me quit after two months. Zero chance of any free weights from me but cope okay with machines. Have traditionally done 20mins each on treadmill (walk/jogging), 20mins bike, 20mins elliptical....
What’s your routine?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    My routine won't help you. All barbell/free weights.

If you're ok with machines, then do the machines. Maybe break it up into the upper body machines one day, and the lower body machines the next day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'm a runner, so i run, strength train with free weights or body weight and stationary bike for cross training.

maybe set yourself some goals other than just 'going to the gym'?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    I follow a structured lifting plan, its not boring because I am able to progress and keep challenging my body. I do a little running as well, I don't just throw on shoes and run, I have a plan to challenge myself running as well.

I think having fitness goals, strength goals, aesthetic goals, etc. are things to work towards and find the right exercise or program that helps you reach those goals.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    What is your overall goal? How many days a week can you workout?
    poss40 wrote: »
    Zero chance of any free weights from me but cope okay with machines.

Why no freeweights?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    The only thing I use the gym for is lifting weights. I loath stationary cardio and I would never join a gym just to do cardio. I mostly road cycle for cardio, along with some hiking and rock climbing. The stationary work that I do is usually due to weather and I have an indoor bike trainer at home as well as a rowing machine...I don't use them terribly often as I don't really like stationary, indoor cardio.

I'm not a big fan of running, but I would opt for that outdoors any day of the week and twice on Sunday over going to a gym and droning away on some piece of cardio equipment. If I were to go to a gym to get my cardio work in, I'd likely choose a class...I used to do spin class a lot in the winter and that was pretty fun even though it was stationary.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Sounds like you would benefit more from a home workout program, to be honest. There are online subscriptions that are cheaper than gym memberships and offer a more rounded exercise than just cardio and assisted moves.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    I see you don't want to use weights but that's mostly what my routine is. I lift weights every other day. One day is chest, triceps, abdominal, and the other day is arms, back, and abdominal. I still need to incorporate a leg day. I also try to get 40 minutes of walking in each day. In between that I like to skateboard which is excellent cardio.

I decided some time ago to take all the money I was spending on my gym membership and just buy the equipment to start a home gym. For a little under $400 I was able to get a flat/incline bench press and free weights. I add onto what I have from time to time. But there is so much you can do with that equipment. I also love not having to wait around for people to finish up on the bench press. That was a common occurrence when I would go to the gym. The only thing I miss is access to a swimming pool.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Is there a reason behind no free weights?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    edited April 2018
    If you like cardio machines try the concep2 rowing machine. It will give you an almost full body work out and the concept2 site has virtual challenges you can participate in which may keep you engaged.

If you are not wanting to do free weights, how about a machine weight lifting programme?

You could alternate your days, machine cardio one day, machine lifting the next.

Who knows, one day you may find you want to incorporate some dumbbells then later a barbell.

Here are a couple of machine lifting routines.
    A full machine work out
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

A good read and 3 options for a basic work out.
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

The concept2 site
    http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training

Cheers, h.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    I find cardio machines to be torture, so not sure my gym routine will help much.

I warm up for about 15 minutes on some cardio machine (bike, rowing, elliptical), then move on to about an hour of my martial arts training, then do another hour of strength training with free weights. Finish up with some stretching.

Before this I had a cardio/ST/muscle endurance/crossfit rotation I was doing.

I'll throw in other forms of exercise as they come up or when I feel like it, I don't feel the need to do the same thing or have something I "have" to do.

Shoot, I'll even do the occasional class at my gym just for something different if I'm bored.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    When I only had machines, I would do a circuit of treadmill (5-10 min) upper machine push-pull(like chest press/row or lat pull, pec fly/back fly), bike(5-10 min) lower machine push-pull (leg press or ext/ham curl) elliptical (5-10min) bicep curl/tricep push down...and repeat 3x...
    Now my routine is usually cardio in the morning (like kickboxing), weights 2-3x afternoons, run other afternoons, Friday evening off, circuit training Saturday, run Sunday. It can change, but that's the general idea.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    This is one of my go-to workouts: https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19537620/prison-burpees/

For variety and to meet specific goals, I often replaces every other burpee set with barbell deadlifts, toes-to-bar reps, heavy dead ball slams, or some comparable exercise. The moves have to be metabolically demanding, i.e. similar in difficulty to a burpee, if not worse.
  • Dainty2018
    Dainty2018 Posts: 4 Member
    Going to try starting next week
    Monday lifting, Tues Cardo kick boxing class, Wed boot camp class, Thursday Spinning (not in a class will be using a video in Spin room), Friday lifting.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Dainty2018 wrote: »
    Going to try starting next week
    Monday lifting, Tues Cardo kick boxing class, Wed boot camp class, Thursday Spinning (not in a class will be using a video in Spin room), Friday lifting.

Is this you just starting to exercise, or getting back to it after a lay off?
    If so I would introduce all those different routines slowly. You have a greater chance of burn out and injury starting so many varied routines all at one.

If you have been working out a few days a week and just changing up what you are doing, maybe think of starting 2 new workouts then adding others as your body adjusts.

Cheers, h.
  • chartgi
    chartgi Posts: 1 Member
    poss40 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    46 year old at 80kg :(
    Need to rejoin gym but don’t want it to be same old boring routine that makes me quit after two months. Zero chance of any free weights from me but cope okay with machines. Have traditionally done 20mins each on treadmill (walk/jogging), 20mins bike, 20mins elliptical....
    What’s your routine?

• kirleeq37
    kirleeq37 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m 52, I started boxing or kickboxing a few years ago, have a hip issue so kicking left, boxing took over. One hour classes and the best darn cardio work out I have ever experienced, I truly enjoy it! Now I’m adding a gym for weights but never giving up my boxing
  • MissDetermined335
    MissDetermined335 Posts: 22 Member
    My main advise to you would be invest in some sessions with a personal trainer to help spice up your workouts.
    I train minimum 4 times a week and do on average 45-60 mins cross trainer cardio (due to a lower back SI joint injury I can’t unfortunately run at the moment), mixed with free weights, mat work and TRX.

YouTube is brilliant for inspiration also. There are plenty of Fitness channels with routine ideas. Type in for example “10 core exercises” “Dynamic cardio routines”, “10 TRX Lower Body exercises”. There’s tons of fab new gym exercises out there for you to help your workouts stay fresh and increase your fat burning and fitness gains.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    A combo of strength training, cardio and yoga.