13»

Replies

• cncochrac
    cncochrac Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2018
    Accidentally made two comments and don’t know how to delete lol
  • cncochrac
    cncochrac Posts: 2 Member
    Hi! I used to make myself a smoothie every morning because I don’t like to eat in the morning either and it’s easier for me to drink a smoothie on my way to work.. I’ve had great success making smoothies and loosing weight.. here’s two recipes I used

PB&B
    1/3 cup Yogurt
    Splash of milk (I would rotate between regular and coconut)
    1-2 Bananas (sometimes frozen, sometimes fresh)
    Tablespoon of PB (I found that the PB2 brand works better)
    Handful of spinach
    1/3 cup steel cut oats
    Ice

Mixed Berry
    1/3 cup yogurt
    Splash of milk
    1/2 - 3/4 cup mixed berries (frozen/fresh)
    Handful of spinach
    1/3 cup steel cut oats
    Ice
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I mix mine with some yogurt and milk for protein and some kale and other veggies for vitamins. If you don't want to drink one then don't. But they can be made to satisfy and are a great breakfast on the go.
  • Jennymarie57
    Jennymarie57 Posts: 57 Member
    Also look to use fruit that are naturally lower in sugar..like berries:)
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    For me, homemade smoothies are worth it because I can control how much fruit goes into them, and I get a good dose of veggies quickly.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    I use a Nutribullet and I make protein smoothies using greek yogurt, honey, oats, cinnamon, almond butter, and about 70g of fruit. Let it sit overnight and then blend in the morning. Keeps me full until lunch. A regular fruit smoothie wouldn't satisfy me all that much.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    I use 2 cups of fruit, 3 cups greens, carrots, and then seeds (flax, chia, hemp) in my smoothies. I also add a scoop of protein powder. To me - it's all about what you put in them. My liquid is either water or almond milk. Mine keep me full until around 12:30 - 1:30 and then I typically have mini snacks until dinner.
  • chloe_wearmouth
    chloe_wearmouth Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks for all the replies guys!! Ive been drinking smoothies every day. I started out simple the first day as I was running late and made a mango, pineapple and kale smoothie. It went down the sink. The kale was literally making me gag. The next day I was running even later (so understaffed Im working 60+ hrs per week so tired) so I had plain mango and pineapple. Pineapple was very overpowering and was very bitter but I managed to drink it. The weekend I experimented a bit and made a strawberry, blueberry, tiny bit of kale, tiny bit of spinach, teaspoon of stevia and teaspoon of PB and it was delicious! Been drinking it ever since and slowly adding more veggies every other day and lowering the amount of stevia added. Once I am used to more veggies and no stevia, I am going to try adding oats/protein powder etc and experimenting with that. So thanks for all the helpful advice guys!!!
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    My morning smoothie has 4 serves of veg, and a whole lot.of flavour: 120 gm spinach or kale, a small lebanese cucumber, cup chopped celery, 1 frozen banana, 1 mandarin, however much water you need to make it work + 30 grams of whatever protein powder you like
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    4rahb3feda9m.jpg

Here is what I did to make a knock off TI'm Hor tons iced capp. I brewed a keurig pod of Folgers vanilla Biscotti coffee and put it in ice cube trays. After they were frz they went in the blender. I added 2 tbsp of the sugar free (or low sugar) french vanilla coffee flavour syrup. (It's like those fancy coffee houses use with the pump on top) and also a half cup dark chocolate almond milk and a half cup normal almond milk. I blended it, crossed my fingers, then really enjoyed it. I made it up as I went along and won't change a thing.☺

That sounds delicious! I'll have to try that!
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    When I know I won’t have time to eat before class, I make a pre-blended breakfast shake (basically my regular breakfast blended)

1 banana
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup of black tea (I seep one bag in 1/2 cup water)
    1 tbsp. pb
    And some cinnamon and cayenne pepper
    Sometimes I mix it up by adding 1/2 tbsp. chia seeds and 1 tbsp. protein powder.

I get overly ripe bananas on sale at the supermarket and stick them in the freezer so they’ll last longer. Cheaper and a sweet way to start my day :) I’m a small person though (5”0) so you might have to mix up the serving size if you try it!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    1 banana (frozen)
    4 oz kefir
    1 oz blackberries
    60 g kale (frozen)
    1 oz hulled hemp
    30 g peanut powder
    2 cups ice.

50 g carbs, 17 g fat, 26 g protein, 12 g fiber, 385 calories.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    if you are making it, you control the calories. can they be calories expensive yes, but if that's they way you want to eat/drink your calories
  • adarbyem
    adarbyem Posts: 83 Member
    I like 8oz vanilla almond milk, 1 banana, and some ice for my smoothie. Simple to make, just toss it all in the Ninja and let 'er rip.
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Hey guys! So I bought a NutriBullet today and looooooads of frozen fruit to have smoothies for breakfast as I struggle to eat early on a morning.
    I was planning on mixing the fruit with water and blending.
    I have been told by people that fruit smoothies are just unnescessary calories as they are really high calorie, full of sugar and really bad for you. Is this true? Is it worth it?
    Thanks!

Fruit and veggie smoothies are the bomb. Whole fruit is fine in the blender, the fiber helps offset the sugar and slows digestion. Add protein (yogurt, kefir, nut milk, powder) to the smoothie so it helps you stay full. Some green veggies-spinach and kale. Many body builders live on them. Go to some of the body building sites and discussion forums to get their take.
  • Sheri869
    Sheri869 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Thanks for all the replies guys!! Ive been drinking smoothies every day. I started out simple the first day as I was running late and made a mango, pineapple and kale smoothie. It went down the sink. The kale was literally making me gag. The next day I was running even later (so understaffed Im working 60+ hrs per week so tired) so I had plain mango and pineapple. Pineapple was very overpowering and was very bitter but I managed to drink it. The weekend I experimented a bit and made a strawberry, blueberry, tiny bit of kale, tiny bit of spinach, teaspoon of stevia and teaspoon of PB and it was delicious! Been drinking it ever since and slowly adding more veggies every other day and lowering the amount of stevia added. Once I am used to more veggies and no stevia, I am going to try adding oats/protein powder etc and experimenting with that. So thanks for all the helpful advice guys!!!

Thanks for posting this original question...and for this response...I've been reading thru because I have similar questions...and I am SERIOUSLY on the same page as you about veggies...I'm SCARED to try to add them in to my smoothies cuz I think it will taste disgusting...some people who responded to your comments gave some good tips for covering up the veggie flavor...'cept for it to be Really good advice on that subject...it has to be from someone else who gags at the veggie taste (as I would!).

I'm just now trying to start drinking smoothies again in the morning because I can at least add protein powder, seads and a vitamin powder in to get those benefits without having to figure out a way to get all those nutrients in a quick shot. But I want to try to add veggies...I'll probably try your idea of adding a little bit of spinach to start...hope you keep posting if you find an even better recipe you like!
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Sheri869 wrote: »

Thanks for posting this original question...and for this response...I've been reading thru because I have similar questions...and I am SERIOUSLY on the same page as you about veggies...I'm SCARED to try to add them in to my smoothies cuz I think it will taste disgusting...some people who responded to your comments gave some good tips for covering up the veggie flavor...'cept for it to be Really good advice on that subject...it has to be from someone else who gags at the veggie taste (as I would!).

I'm just now trying to start drinking smoothies again in the morning because I can at least add protein powder, seads and a vitamin powder in to get those benefits without having to figure out a way to get all those nutrients in a quick shot. But I want to try to add veggies...I'll probably try your idea of adding a little bit of spinach to start...hope you keep posting if you find an even better recipe you like!

I use 1/4 cup spinach and 1/4 cup kale in with other fruit—stay away from the green smoothie recipe with avocado on the MyFitnessPal pal site, it is the one and only smoothie I couldn’t finish. The thought of it still makes me gag. Wasted half a bottle of Kombucha on that horrid mess. :-(
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    You can make low carb smoothies. Use avocado instead of banana.

Avocado
    spinach
    A few berries
    Almond milk
    Stevia
    Almond butter
    Cocoa

Or avocado, berries, almond milk, spinach, and a stevia sweetened protein powder