Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Thanks :) I didn't know you remembered me :)Everyone else ended up in a better place than me it seems. I am just going to take my woe is me *kitten* to bed.
    @bbell1985
    No to the bold - most probably gave up and went away without achieving a fraction of what you have done.
    But you are still here, strong, looking great and acting as a constant inspiration through your words and your actions. :flowerforyou:

PS - hope today is a better day.

Hmm. Interesting coming from you.

Sure, today is a better day. The sun is out.

He's right you know? :smile:
  • k8andchr1smom
    k8andchr1smom Posts: 72 Member
    edited April 2018
    I've been reading this thread and I'm trying to digest it. Can someone answer a question for me? I'm considering a recomp. I have a trainer 2 times a week, do a boot camp one day and usually an AMRAP for 45 minutes that the bootcamp instructor posts. I get 15000 steps a day including a short jog 2 times a week, and run one jog run a week--usually about 6-5 miles. I think my missing piece is nutrition. TDEE is about 1640 per bod pod Can someone break that piece down or point me to a place that does? I'm 53,5'3 healthy wt for my ht. Here are my in-progress pics

• RoxieDawn
    edited April 2018
    I've been reading this thread and I'm trying to digest it. Can someone answer a question for me? I'm considering a recomp. I have a trainer 2 times a week, do a boot camp one day and usually an AMRAP for 45 minutes that the bootcamp instructor posts. I get 15000 steps a day including a short jog 2 times a week, and run one jog run a week--usually about 6-5 miles. I think my missing piece is nutrition. TDEE is about 1640 per bod pod Can someone break that piece down or point me to a place that does? I'm 53,5'3 healthy wt for my ht. Here are my in-progress pics

What is your current weight? Are you currently losing? If so how many pounds a week average? How many calories are you eating? When you exercise are you eating these back? A TDEE can be determined based on 3-4 weeks of your recent history.
  • k8andchr1smom
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

What is your current weight? Are you currently losing? If so how many pounds a week average? How many calories are you eating? When you exercise are you eating these back? A TDEE can be determined based on 3-4 weeks of your recent history.

About 140 or so, I'm a 32 DD and wear a size 6. I am not losing weight but I am losing inches. I'm eating about 1600, and I eat back half my long run calories or at least the calories the Garmin says I burn on the long run.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited April 2018
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

About 140 or so, I'm a 32 DD and wear a size 6. I am not losing weight but I am losing inches. I'm eating about 1600, and I eat back half my long run calories or at least the calories the Garmin says I burn on the long run.

You are recomping. You are losing fat/inches and building muscle hence no change in scale weight. Your calorie intake I would say averages to be between 1600-1700 daily based on approx burn for your long run.

Is there anything with your current regimen that is not meeting your goals?
  • k8andchr1smom
    edited April 2018
    RoxieDawn wrote:
    You are recomping. You are losing fat/inches and building muscle hence no change in scale weight. Your calorie intake I would say averages to be between 1600-1700 daily based on approx burn for your long run.

Thank you !!!

If anything I want it to go faster. I know this takes time. Can you recommend percentages of protein/fat/carbs? I think you look amazing!
  • RoxieDawn
    edited April 2018
    roxiedawn wrote:

Thank you !!!

If anything I want it to go faster. I know this takes time. Can you recommend percentages of protein/fat/carbs? I think you look amazing!

You are on the right track, it is a slower approach but its working. Faster comes down to getting lean enough to do bulk/cut cycles and this does not work for everyone. If you decide you ever want to do that in the future just know that is an option.

I prefer to use grams vs %. These are basic recommendations for macros per lean body mass (or per goal weight):
    Protein: 0.8 to 1g
    Fats: 0.35 to 0.6g
    Carbs: The rest

And thank you for your kind words. <3
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    So the answer to this question may be buried in the previous 104 pages, but here it is anyway.

Is it possible to recomp without lifting? There really isn't much on earth I hate more than going to the gym and lifting weights.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    So the answer to this question may be buried in the previous 104 pages, but here it is anyway.

Is it possible to recomp without lifting? There really isn't much on earth I hate more than going to the gym and lifting weights.

No - not really. Some resistance training in some way, to some extent is needed.

The idea is you are doing damage to the muscles/body that requires it to rebuild stronger, more muscle.
    That uses more of your food eaten - requiring more of your fat stores to be used for everyday life.

Net effect, muscle goes up - fat goes down.

If not doing any damage - what exactly does the body have to improve?
    If not pushing it beyond what it can do now - why build more?

Cardio taps out pretty quickly for requiring more from the body besides storing more glucose in muscles.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    heybales wrote: »

No - not really. Some resistance training in some way, to some extent is needed.

The idea is you are doing damage to the muscles/body that requires it to rebuild stronger, more muscle.
    That uses more of your food eaten - requiring more of your fat stores to be used for everyday life.

Cardio taps out pretty quickly for requiring more from the body besides storing more glucose in muscles.

That is a shame. But thank you for your quick reply.
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2018
    Hoping someone can help me out here! I'm starting a very light/casual/slow recomp because I've been noticing my legs are getting too big for my shorts. In need of advice for things to tweak, remove, or add in my current workout and eating habits. I'm not really rushing to lose weight or anything as I'm quite happy with my current weight and size except for my thighs (it seems to store more fat than the rest of my body??)

Is there a private women's group I can be added to where I can post pictures and my full stats, rants, etc. Just not comfortable posting full body pictures but would love some support and advice :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    heybales wrote: »

That is a shame. But thank you for your quick reply.

To be clear though, as long as it's some kind of progressive resistance, then you can recomp. That doesn't mean you have to do traditional lifting. You can do crossfit, bodypump or etc.. But you need to increase resistance over time otherwise you won't force your body to build muscle. And cardio certainly won't do it.
  • psuLemon
    Hoping someone can help me out here! I'm starting a very light/casual/slow recomp because I've been noticing my legs are getting too big for my shorts. In need of advice for things to tweak, remove, or add in my current workout and eating habits. I'm not really rushing to lose weight or anything as I'm quite happy with my current weight and size except for my thighs (it seems to store more fat than the rest of my body??)

Is there a private women's group I can be added to where I can post pictures and my full stats, rants, etc. Just not comfortable posting full body pictures but would love some support and advice :)

What is your current workout program? The one that will have the greatest impact is the one that will force you to get stronger. Typically, a recomp is best completed with a well structure lifting routine like : https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member

I lost some fat around the waist from walking a *lot*. A belt hole (an inch) over the course of a few weeks.

I am currently doing dumbbell rows, table pull ups and push ups to get some upper body changes but not looking like a body builder. I just want more definition.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member

It's not private, but this group might be helpful to you.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/499-not-that-heavy-girls
  • justjara123
    I'm actually in the group already! The pictures are because I don't want people to be able to just search me up, I have a few birth marks that are clear indicators that it's me, and I have a traditional family.

@psuLemon my workouts in a week usually look like this:
    - CrossFit 1-2x
    - Pilates 2-3x (I do a 15-20m jog as warm up)
    - Total body strength workout 1-2x
    I basically workout every other day so in total, 3-4 workout days with moderately active rest days in between. I don't workout more than an hour because of my schedule (2 hours of free time cut in with an hour of class, I wanted to get good professors this semester).

I'm changing it up though. My class subscription to CrossFit ends this month and I'll be too busy with my last month of college (!!) to attend scheduled classes. I tried running a 5k the other day and today (took 35, then 33 minutes), and I think I can build up to doing a 45 minute run. The extra 15 minutes of jogging (I also went a little faster than I would my warmup jogs) was SO exhausting when followed up by 30m pilates, so I'll be doing long jogs on separate days. My "new" plan:

- Pilates 2-3x (I'll still be doing a warmup jog)
    - Total body strength workout (aka lifting) 1-2x
    - Jogging 1-2x
  • psuLemon
    I'm actually in the group already! The pictures are because I don't want people to be able to just search me up, I have a few birth marks that are clear indicators that it's me, and I have a traditional family.

@psuLemon my workouts in a week usually look like this:
    - CrossFit 1-2x
    - Pilates 2-3x (I do a 15-20m jog as warm up)
    - Total body strength workout 1-2x
    I basically workout every other day so in total, 3-4 workout days with moderately active rest days in between. I don't workout more than an hour because of my schedule (2 hours of free time cut in with an hour of class, I wanted to get good professors this semester).

I'm changing it up though. My class subscription to CrossFit ends this month and I'll be too busy with my last month of college (!!) to attend scheduled classes. I tried running a 5k the other day and today (took 35, then 33 minutes), and I think I can build up to doing a 45 minute run. The extra 15 minutes of jogging (I also went a little faster than I would my warmup jogs) was SO exhausting when followed up by 30m pilates, so I'll be doing long jogs on separate days. My "new" plan:

- Pilates 2-3x (I'll still be doing a warmup jog)
    - Total body strength workout (aka lifting) 1-2x
    - Jogging 1-2x

Honestly, jogging and pilates, while good exercise, is not really going to contribute to a recomp. Only lifting 1 or 2x a week is suboptimal, which will drive suboptimal results. If your goal is recomp, you'd put yourself in much better of a place lifting 3 or 4x a week (full body or upper/lower split) and then filling in the other times with jogging or pilates.
  • justjara123
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Honestly, jogging and pilates, while good exercise, is not really going to contribute to a recomp. Only lifting 1 or 2x a week is suboptimal, which will drive suboptimal results. If your goal is recomp, you'd put yourself in much better of a place lifting 3 or 4x a week (full body or upper/lower split) and then filling in the other times with jogging or pilates.

I can definitely lessen pilates. Now, I use it mostly as a less intense CrossFit/strength training since I don't have weights at home.

I exhaust pretty quickly when I lift (might be because I see these huge guys lifting at the gym and I'm this short girl that's taking up space in the weights area so I might be getting too heavy weights to fit in? Idk) so I only ever manage 20 minutes on an area (I do 20m lower body, 15m upper body, 5m abs and just get in a lot of ab time when I do pilates). Would you suggest I lower my weights then get in more sets or add new moves to spend longer on upper body or lower body per day?

Would this sound good as a workout cycle? Upper body, run, pilates, rest, lower body, rest (upper body, rest, so on, so forth).