Wahoo, I did it....I stepped into the weight room...

And it felt fabulous, I was a bit nervous at first but soon forgot that everyone was there haha!

Instead of continuing with Stronglifts I decided to restart the programme my PT did for/with me last year and I really enjoyed it, however, there are two things:

1. I really don't enjoy the 8-12 rep range, I remember feeling like this last year and then one day trying heavier weights/lower reps and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My question is shall I stick to the 4x sets of 8-12 reps or can I do say 4x sets 5-8reps?

My workout today looked like this:

Squats - 4x sets of 8x reps at 30kg
Deadlift - 4x sets of 8x reps at 40kg
Bent over Row - 12x 20kg, 10x 25kg, 10x 25kg, 10x 25kg
Overhead Press - 8x 20kg, 8x 20kg, 5x 20kg, 5x 20kg (I tired really easy on this)

Any tips/hints?

I don't have a specific goal except to lose fat which I do on a calorie deficit, my main reason for getting back into weight lifting is because I enjoy it.

Secondly, am I to much of beginner to do a split workout? like upper body/lower body.

On workout 2 of my PT programme its lunges, split squats, pullup/pulldowns on the machine, however, could I not do lunges, squats, split squats as my lower body and do deadlifts, OH press, barbell rows and pullups/pushdowns as my upper body, that way I feel I could do each workout twice a week.

Again, any tips/advice are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    You did it!!! Yay! Another female rocking the weight room!

I'm personally a Stronglifts advocate, but work whatever program you like. Did someone post this link in your previous threads? It has pretty much every program out there. Again, pick one you like and go for it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member

I'm personally a Stronglifts advocate, but work whatever program you like. Did someone post this link in your previous threads? It has pretty much every program out there. Again, pick one you like and go for it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This!

I do work in a lot of rep ranges, but I prefer to work in the 1-4 rep range.
  • LJay89
    LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
    Woohooo! I found confidence in the weight room is half the battle.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member

This!

lol, me too. Sets of 1 are perfect!
  • quiksylver296
    SonyaCele wrote: »

This!

Sets of 1 are my favorite! Block pulls this morning, 4 sets of 1 at 8.5 RPE made my whole day. (But I realize the benefits of other rep ranges.)
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Woohoo congratulations!

I use 3x8 as my baseline, and readjust depending on how comfortable I am.
  • LJay89
    LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »

This!

Sets of 1 are my favorite! Block pulls this morning, 4 sets of 1 at 8.5 RPE made my whole day. (But I realize the benefits of other rep ranges.)

My PT at the moment has me doing 6-12 rep range to build "muscle endurance" - his words not mine.
    Hoping to start Starting Strength at the end of my PT sessions (10 weeks - 2 down). I have had a few people comment that I should be doing 5x5 or what have you but at the moment I just want to be told what to do by someone who is monitoring my progress. Needless to say my DL is going up!
  • Xkmaf2018X
    Xkmaf2018X Posts: 97 Member
    Thanks all for your kind motiviation.

Do you think I'd be OK then doing a split routine i.e. one day deadlifts, bent over rows, OH press, pullup/pushdowns and then one day doing squats, lunges, split squats?

I do feel ever so proud of myself. My upper body feels tired this PM but my lower body doesn't. I felt I could've gone heavier on the squats but thought I best not!

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    Thanks all for your kind motiviation.

Do you think I'd be OK then doing a split routine i.e. one day deadlifts, bent over rows, OH press, pullup/pushdowns and then one day doing squats, lunges, split squats?

I do feel ever so proud of myself. My upper body feels tired this PM but my lower body doesn't. I felt I could've gone heavier on the squats but thought I best not!

Yep, I think that would be just fine. Maybe the lifts might need to be changed or rearranged but you’ll do fine on a upper/lower split.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    <3
  • Xkmaf2018X
    It was written by an expert, my PT, I’m just asking can I modify the way I do it
  • quiksylver296
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    It was written by an expert, my PT, I’m just asking can I modify the way I do it

You can do anything you'd like. If you have a PT, and they wrote the program, maybe ask them?

(I would debate the fact that your PT is an expert. Unless his name is Layne Norton, I doubt his ability to write a progressive lifting program. But that's my personal bias.)
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2018
    4x8 is what I used to build a lot of the muscle and strength that I have now (at least in Bench). I would give myself about two to three weeks before making a 5-10 pound increase depending on the movement. Following all 4x8 reps, I would add 5-10 pounds and go for 6 Reps, then add another 10-15 pounds for 4 Reps, and then add again another 5 pounds for a double. Once I could do all 4x8 reps, I’d add 5-10 pounds. Programming this way taught me how to work with plateaus during a program by making plateaus a feature, and not a bug.
  • Xkmaf2018X
    I cant ask my previous PT as I’m no longer at that gym :-( boo hoo!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Good job! Getting over your fears and just getting in there is the hardest part. If you’d rather split the lifts up into different days rather than do them all on the same day, I would suggest looking into stronglifts instead. Only 3 lifts per workout, 3 days per week.
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Well done! I started my trial gym membership today and picked up the Olympic bar then quickly set it down again- I didn’t feel confident enough to even try with other more experienced people in there! I had looked at some stronglifts videos but I think I need someone to show me the ropes!