Your favorite bogus nutrition/health "advice"

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2018
    @Fitnessgirl0913 I am freaked out that people are recommending ACV as an alternative to major heart surgery.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Those wraps!! Yes. So freaky. When my friend was first dating her now-husband she passed out because she was wearing one of those wraps under her clothing for hours on a date. My question was what if they got down to business, wouldn't he be disturbed that his lady came all wrapped up like a packet of fruit snacks? Whoa.

Bahahahaha! Awesome.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    @Fitnessgirl0913 I am freaked out that people are recommending ACV as an alternative to major heart surgery.
    @janejellyroll yeah that advice you actually kill somebody...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    @janejellyroll yeah that advice you actually kill somebody...

These are the ones that really disturb me. Someone adding soaked almonds or an orange to their diet is wasting their time (if they're doing it under the impression it will result in weight loss), but it's not necessarily harmful. Once you start giving people BS advice on how to handle cancer or heart disease, that's awful stuff.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    My HR manager is on this new "health" kick with her wife.
    Over the last week I have heard her talk to coworkers about fasting two days out of the week, putting butter in her coffee, how her juice diet "helped so much" and now she feels great and how she eats salads all the time now so the weight is just going to be dripping off. I pretty much lose my eyes in the back of my head when she starts talking about anything anyways..... This is the same lady that asked "How do you tell the difference between a 9v battery and a C battery?" - ummmmmmm face palm ....
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Waffles with peanut butter and blueberries actually doesn't sound that bad though? I might hit it with some extra honey but still, it seems sound in principle.

Give up loneliness? Are there actually people out there who actively choose loneliness? As an introvert, I might change that one to "stop trying to please everybody" since you extroverts tend to get way too stressed out about what other people think.

How is fish, carrots, and green beans a 5 minute dinner? Are they eating everything raw? Ditto brown rice - what kind of miracle cooking grains do nutritionists buy that they can cook brown rice in less than 5 minutes?

I know nutritionists get a bad rap but do you not own a microwave oven? :) All can be zapped in the microwave for under 5 minutes.

It is impossible to go from regular dry brown rice to edible/cooked brown rice in 5 minutes... a microwave wouldn't do it. If you have pre-cooked brown rice you CAN heat it up in a microwave in a couple of minutes.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited April 2018
    glassyo wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Waffles with peanut butter and blueberries actually doesn't sound that bad though? I might hit it with some extra honey but still, it seems sound in principle.

Give up loneliness? Are there actually people out there who actively choose loneliness? As an introvert, I might change that one to "stop trying to please everybody" since you extroverts tend to get way too stressed out about what other people think.

How is fish, carrots, and green beans a 5 minute dinner? Are they eating everything raw? Ditto brown rice - what kind of miracle cooking grains do nutritionists buy that they can cook brown rice in less than 5 minutes?

I know nutritionists get a bad rap but do you not own a microwave oven? :) All can be zapped in the microwave for under 5 minutes.

Each or together? The time only works if the latter and I'm guessing that the fish and vegetables won't come out so great. If quality if off the table, then why make a recommendation at all? Might as well call the poster "here is some crap that can be pulled out of the fridge and crammed into your food hole in less than 5 minutes".
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Walk barefoot on grass FOR 40 MINUTES A DAY?

Won't be happening here, there are a ton of wild bunnies and lots of bunny poop in my grass.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    laur357 wrote: »
    Oh, you aren't losing weight? Clearly you aren't eating enough! Eat more so you aren't in starvation mode!
    Girl, no.

I'm also a fan of, "Try Keto! I love it! I lost 20 pounds in two weeks and it was great, but then I ate a grilled cheese and gained 25 back. I need to do it again!"
    Not against Keto or carb restriction overall, but if you couldn't stick to it and couldn't maintain a single bit of what you lost, why is that the diet you keep going back to?

LOL. My ex-boyfriend was all "KETO IS AWESOME! OMG I'm going to do it and I'll lose 30 pounds and it'll be awesome."

Then I pointed out that OK, dude, you like your carbs, and what's going to happen when you eat those, because that instant weight loss is water weight from lack of carbs.

He proceeded to tell me that surely it couldn't *all* be water, because nobody carries more than 10 pounds of water weight at a time.

... yeah. Reason he's an ex.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    All I'm saying is if it's already precooked (not homemade first) and frozen, it's possible.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited April 2018
    You can eat what you want as long as you exercise.

The way to a flat stomach is sit ups and a waist trainer.

Fruit is bad. You need to cut carbs to lose weight.