“New” Arnold Sandwich Thins = 50% increase in calories. Jerks.

Replies

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Seconding the Aldi versions.... we also like FlatOut Foldits, they are really good and ~110 cals
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    They prob were wrong about the cals initially lol. My favorite low cal bread products are Joseph’s flatbreads, alternative pitas and bagels, and natures harvest 40 cal bread, and also tortillas factory’s low carb tortillas

That's my thought too... they realized that the calories were higher than what they said. Did you weigh them before the packaging change? Often those '40 or 100 calorie' slices are actually heavier in the first place.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    They prob were wrong about the cals initially lol. My favorite low cal bread products are Joseph’s flatbreads, alternative pitas and bagels, and natures harvest 40 cal bread, and also tortillas factory’s low carb tortillas

That's my thought too... they realized that the calories were higher than what they said. Did you weigh them before the packaging change? Often those '40 or 100 calorie' slices are actually heavier in the first place.

I don't know about the previous version, but you could be on to something. I've weighed them at the new calorie count and they come in spot-on to the gram now. I wonder if they were somewhere in between so they reformulated slightly to come in more consistently. Who knows. For me the 50 calories isn't a big deal, but I can see for some how it might be...but they might have been eating between 100-150 anyway if they were weighing it.
  • smeebles
    smeebles Posts: 21 Member
    I’ve used bagel thins in the past for sandwiches. Clock in at 100 calories. Or Sara Lee delightful multigrain bread is 45 calories per slice
  • tracynazaruk
    tracynazaruk Posts: 1 Member
    I was so happy to find all these comments about the change in the Arnold's sandwich thins! I've been eating them for years as my go to sandwich for lunch. I know 50 calories isn't huge, but a turkey sandwich is not worth 50 extra calories! I'm so so disappointed and have been searching for a new option. Glad to see all these recommendations on here to try out. I love Aldi so I think I'll give theirs a try first.
  • stacey01575
    stacey01575 Posts: 8 Member
    I used to eat those a while ago, but now my go to is the thin sliced Dave's Killer Bread. The one I bought this week is only 60 cal a slice (some are 70) and I love the seeds/texture.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Super annoying, even though I just ate one today. They are bigger and thicker, but still. They taste the same. I bought them to try, but I'm going to go back to my low-call bread.
  • thynes1313
    thynes1313 Posts: 1,623 Member
    https://www.pepperidgefarm.com/product-finder?category=2360

There are 4 varieties for 45 cal per slice. like the wheat but my daughter prefers the oatmeal
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member

If they now come with 6 instead of 8, my guess is they made them bigger.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,778 Member
    I eat sara lee 45 calorie breads
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,778 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ive weighted them, and they were pretty spot on to what the package said. off by maybe 1-2g
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    thynes1313 wrote: »
    https://www.pepperidgefarm.com/product-finder?category=2360

There are 4 varieties for 45 cal per slice. like the wheat but my daughter prefers the oatmeal
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    I eat sara lee 45 calorie breads

I don't think the issue is that we don't like low cal bread. The issue is that these are completely different from bread. I know I don't see sandwich thins as comparable to slices of bread, they are very different. I think all of us probably know of good brands of low calorie bread.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I've seen a lot of complaints about this.

Sara Lee delightful wheat bread, 45 calories a slice. I prefer the wheat to the multigrain in this bread. Trader Joe's makes sandwich thins. I also love the pepperidge farm bakery classics whole wheat buns. It's a real bun, not a thin, 130 calories good protein and fiber. Delicious. If not this then natures own whole wheat buns are my second choice. Trader Joe's whole wheat English muffins. Trader Joe's whole wheat Tuscan pane, a slice is 100 cal but I cut them in half for sandwiches as they are long. This needs to be kept in fridge, no preservatives.
  • NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    I buy my bread from the bread outlet so, I have to take what they have in stock when I shop. Breads I've tried in the past: Sara Lee Delightful, Fiber One, Pita Pockets all coming in at around 100 calories/serving. This week I bought Arnold Stone Ground Wheat @ 2 slices for 130 calories as that was the lowest calorie bread I found in the store which is still better than Canadian White @ 100/slice that I buy for the family. Definitely shop around I think the store brand thins are still 100 calories or you may find some other brands/types of bread you like.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    I eat Franz 45 calorie 9 grain bread. It's pretty good and only 90 calories for two slices. I also really like Killer Dave's thin sliced bread. It's slightly more calories (60 per slice), but it's super yummy and healthy.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Aldi's Sandwich Skinnys, 90 calories. Aldi's L'oven Fresh 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 50 cal./slice.

I really need to start shopping there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I eat Franz 45 calorie 9 grain bread. It's pretty good and only 90 calories for two slices. I also really like Killer Dave's thin sliced bread. It's slightly more calories (60 per slice), but it's super yummy and healthy.

And so expensive, lol.

I'm a cheapskate, and when I want a sandwich (which isn't often), I want a sandwich. With good bread.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    If you live near a Kroger store they have a store brand copycat of them. I've been buying them since I discovered them at $1.99 for a pack of 8, so cheaper too. 90 calories per 43g sandwich thins. They have multigrain and honey wheat at my Kroger.
    ig04zjdeepxh.png
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    If you live near a Kroger store they have a store brand copycat of them. I've been buying them since I discovered them at $1.99 for a pack of 8, so cheaper too. 90 calories per 43g sandwich thins. They have multigrain and honey wheat at my Kroger.
    ig04zjdeepxh.png

Too bad no kroger around me, those look even better than the Arnold ones! I like trader jo store brand copy cat as well!