Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

You cannot live the rest of your life in this body

13

Replies

  • NerdyFlexNerdyFlex Member Posts: 1,673 Member Member Posts: 1,673 Member
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    I’m too busy being aesthetic

    That's what I thought, you can't.
    How do you feel?
  • NerdyFlexNerdyFlex Member Posts: 1,673 Member Member Posts: 1,673 Member
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    I’m too busy being aesthetic

    That's what I thought, you can't.
    How do you feel?

    I feel perfectly fine. There are more knowledgeable people than you on these forums that I would rather listen to, thanks! Have a great day!

    That’s great! I hope you have a great day also!
  • PackerjohnPackerjohn Member Posts: 4,855 Member Member Posts: 4,855 Member
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I get that OP was meant to inspire, but I'd rather have dessert and a shorter life than no dessert and a longer life. My life is miserable enough. I take whatever bit of happiness I can get. I'm physically in my best shape, but being able to run longer doesn't give me joy.

    You can have dessert and still maintain health and fitness. I think the OP is saying foods like this shouldn’t be eaten everyday.

    If someone is meeting all of their nutritional goals, why can’t those foods be eaten every day if they fit in my goal? Please explain.

    ETA: fixed typos

    I don’t see how eating desserts everyday would not make your sugar and grams of fat excessive. Maybe your calorie goal could be met, but at the end of the day eating 2000 calories of wholesome nutritious foods is better than 2000 calories of desserts

    My calorie goal isn't 2000 and I am not eating 2000 calories of dessert every day or any day for that matter. I eat healthy for me and then have dessert if I feel like it. Why does everyone think that everybody can eat 2000 cals of anything and not gain weight? 2000 cals a day for me would have me gaining probably a pound a week.

    If someone would gain a pound a week on 2,000 calories, and are limiting their intake to not gain or to lose, that would imply they needed 1,500 calories a day to maintain. There would be little room in that person's diet for what most people think of as dessert (cookies, brownies, ice cream, etc) and still get adequate nutrition.
  • jefamer2017jefamer2017 Member Posts: 416 Member Member Posts: 416 Member
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    MossiO wrote: »
    so are you selling brain transplants?

    Nevermind. I was just having feelings tonight and it struck a chord, so I thought I'd share. Sorry. Asking for deletion rather than be mocked.

    Sorry you feel that way. Maybe if you used the first person ("I can't live the rest of my life in this body") you would have gotten a better reaction. Because if you feel mocked by a joke, the rest of us can feel berated and body shamed by a thread title.

    This. The amount of body shaming is ridiculous in that post.

    That is not body shaming. People seriously need to re-evaluate things. This post calls attention to a huge problem in America. America has an obesity problem. That’s factual and I think a lot of it is because people don’t have the proper education about health and fitness

    We don't have proper education with nutrition. In health class teachers would say based on a 2000 calorie diet blah blah blah. Eat a colorful plate,avoid too much sugar, move more. Okay sound advice but never were we taught how to implement a correct diet and exercise regimen. Then we are bombarded with fast and convenient food.

    But you then opt for the fast and convenient food instead of that colorful plate, avoiding excess calories and sugar, and moving more.

    That's your choice. Not all of us made that bad choice.

    Not the point.
  • PackerjohnPackerjohn Member Posts: 4,855 Member Member Posts: 4,855 Member
    You
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I get that OP was meant to inspire, but I'd rather have dessert and a shorter life than no dessert and a longer life. My life is miserable enough. I take whatever bit of happiness I can get. I'm physically in my best shape, but being able to run longer doesn't give me joy.

    You can have dessert and still maintain health and fitness. I think the OP is saying foods like this shouldn’t be eaten everyday.

    If someone is meeting all of their nutritional goals, why can’t those foods be eaten every day if they fit in my goal? Please explain.

    ETA: fixed typos

    I don’t see how eating desserts everyday would not make your sugar and grams of fat excessive. Maybe your calorie goal could be met, but at the end of the day eating 2000 calories of wholesome nutritious foods is better than 2000 calories of desserts

    My calorie goal isn't 2000 and I am not eating 2000 calories of dessert every day or any day for that matter. I eat healthy for me and then have dessert if I feel like it. Why does everyone think that everybody can eat 2000 cals of anything and not gain weight? 2000 cals a day for me would have me gaining probably a pound a week.

    If someone would gain a pound a week on 2,000 calories, and are limiting their intake to not gain or to lose, that would imply they needed 1,500 calories a day to maintain. There would be little room in that person's diet for what most people think of as dessert (cookies, brownies, ice cream, etc) and still get adequate nutrition.

    I can get adequate nutrition on 1500 cals a day and work those items in every day if I chose to.

    I would like to see foods logs that accomplish this. Not being a smart "kitten" just don't think it's happening for most people.
    edited April 2018
  • NerdyFlexNerdyFlex Member Posts: 1,673 Member Member Posts: 1,673 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I get that OP was meant to inspire, but I'd rather have dessert and a shorter life than no dessert and a longer life. My life is miserable enough. I take whatever bit of happiness I can get. I'm physically in my best shape, but being able to run longer doesn't give me joy.

    You can have dessert and still maintain health and fitness. I think the OP is saying foods like this shouldn’t be eaten everyday.

    If someone is meeting all of their nutritional goals, why can’t those foods be eaten every day if they fit in my goal? Please explain.

    ETA: fixed typos

    I don’t see how eating desserts everyday would not make your sugar and grams of fat excessive. Maybe your calorie goal could be met, but at the end of the day eating 2000 calories of wholesome nutritious foods is better than 2000 calories of desserts

    My calorie goal isn't 2000 and I am not eating 2000 calories of dessert every day or any day for that matter. I eat healthy for me and then have dessert if I feel like it. Why does everyone think that everybody can eat 2000 cals of anything and not gain weight? 2000 cals a day for me would have me gaining probably a pound a week.

    If someone would gain a pound a week on 2,000 calories, and are limiting their intake to not gain or to lose, that would imply they needed 1,500 calories a day to maintain. There would be little room in that person's diet for what most people think of as dessert (cookies, brownies, ice cream, etc) and still get adequate nutrition.

    I can get adequate nutrition on 1500 cals a day and work those items in every day if I chose to.

    I would like to see foods logs that accomplish this.

    Same
  • zyxstzyxst Member Posts: 9,132 Member Member Posts: 9,132 Member
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I get that OP was meant to inspire, but I'd rather have dessert and a shorter life than no dessert and a longer life. My life is miserable enough. I take whatever bit of happiness I can get. I'm physically in my best shape, but being able to run longer doesn't give me joy.

    You can have dessert and still maintain health and fitness. I think the OP is saying foods like this shouldn’t be eaten everyday.

    So you're telling I can't have dessert every day, even if it fits in my goals (calories, macros, etc.)? I didn't say I couldn't have dessert and maintain health and fitness. I do that now. What I'm (trying to) say is my life is miserable as it is and being able to have dessert gives me a small amount of joy that no exercise/physical activity can.
  • urloved33urloved33 Member Posts: 3,361 Member Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    MossiO wrote: »
    This body needs some upgrades and repairs at the mechanic, if you know what I mean.

    If you choose to live the rest of your life in this body, it will not be terribly long. You will have ailments, aches, fatigue. You will be more likely to get diabetes, heart disease, cancer. You'll go out like your father. Or your aunt or grandpa or cousin. Medicating yourself with a handful of pill bottles and cake, or maybe alcohol. Or whatever. You know it's a temporary escape. You know it. You will die early, worn out and weary. It's already started.

    I mean--you will die anyway, but wouldn't it be better if it were farther away and the lead-up was less painful? If you were strong where you are weak now. If getting up off the floor didn't make you out of breath. What if you could just jump up and maybe even bustle around? What if you could run? How would the steady breath in your lungs feel? How would your heart feel, making itself more known within your chest?

    What if your weak muscles weren't so weak? What if you were actually STRONG? It's still possible. You're still alive, so it's still possible. But every day you stuff yourself with pizza, ice cream, beer, and/or cookies, you are going to lose out. At some point, the food you eat and the way you move your body regularly will be the defining factors of your health. At this rate, anyway. It's your choice.

    So, what are you going to do about it?



    (Written to myself this evening.)

    I decided - to do whatever I can to stay off all pharms and meds in the course of aging. I have - to date - used food and exercise to keep (or put) my biometrics in a healthy place. here's praying my approach continues to work (im 58 so far so good) p.s. weight is a biometric. its really really not about body shaming.

    edited April 2018
  • PackerjohnPackerjohn Member Posts: 4,855 Member Member Posts: 4,855 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    NerdyFlex wrote: »
    At least I’m not the only one who sees the fallacy in this.

    I assume you are talking about packerjohn's post?
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    If someone would gain a pound a week on 2,000 calories, and are limiting their intake to not gain or to lose, that would imply they needed 1,500 calories a day to maintain. There would be little room in that person's diet for what most people think of as dessert (cookies, brownies, ice cream, etc) and still get adequate nutrition.

    I'd really like to get this conversation back on solid ground, so I'm really trying to understand here.

    What, precisely, are you trying to argue for?
    What, precisely, are you trying to argue against?

    I still can't find anyone suggesting a dessert-only diet is a good idea. That aside, it seems like packerjohn was implying that getting adequate nutrition on a restricted intake is (can be?) difficult... and so using some of your limited calories on cookies, brownies, ice cream, etc, would only make that more difficult.

    Is that the core issue here?

    The bolded would be my point. Sincerely interested in how people do it. Preferably with food logs
Sign In or Register to comment.