Shopping - exercise???

Hi everyone!

I only started MFP on Monday and have a question which may sound silly to the pros but please keep with me!!

I just went clothes shopping and was walking non stop for about 90 minutes around the shops...

Does this class as exercise? Like can I add it as leisurely walking for 90 mins?

Much appreciated!

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Since I'm set to sedentary, I would log that, but I wouldn't log it quite the same because I feel like 90 minutes might be a way higher calorie burn. I might put in "20 min walking 2.5 mph". I've been on MFP for 5 years and that's how I've always done it. I think the general consensus is not to log it at all, though.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    I don't log everyday activities. I do log intentional exercise like running, Zumba, bicycling and hiking.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2018
    Is this something you never do or is walking like this a normal part of your life?
    I would not log shopping unless you were walking very briskly or a lot more than you normally do.
    If you want to log it maybe only log a portion of it because you really didn't walk nonstop at the same speed shopping for 90 minutes.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    This type of 'activity' is in your 'activity level' and is not purposeful exercise, so its covered already.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I guess technically you could if it's more/beyond your usual level of activity. But I also think that's a REALLY REALLY REALLY slippery slope.

IMO, exercise is exercise, lifestyle is lifestyle. Once in a great while they overlap, but usually they are/should be kept separate.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Something like that would be out of my daily activity level but I wouldn't log it. I would just accept it as some cushion in my calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I wouldn't log shopping as exercise. Although it might not be regular or frequent it's still to me just a part of activity.
    It might be counter-balanced by a day when you are particularly sedentary.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    no.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I use stuff like that to keep my activity level up, but our daily activity level is accounted for already. I don't double count for it.

Even if I was sedentary, I'd take those 50 calories as a win and move on.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    I wouldn't log it. Days where you're more active because you're shopping balance out days when you're less active and spend 90% of the day curled up on the couch watching Netflix. Or at least, that's how my days balance out :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t. Something like this is accounted for in your activity level.

This^

A full day at an amusement park might be worth it to bump up your activity level for the day......but logging the whole thing as an intentional walk would include a fair amount of "double - dipping."
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 526 Member
    Me? I wouldn't log it. I log exercise activities, and must admit that I also log outside work activities, like lawn care, pruning, etc, but only if I'm really working up a sweat. If there's no exertion, there's no exercise, hence no log. But that's for me. ;-)
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    90 minutes of nonstop dedicated leisure walk is 9000 steps, it burns alot of calories but you're shopping and probably had frequent pauses and stops so it's probably 2/3rd of that.

2/3rds? I'd say that's a rather generous estimate. IMO the actual expenditure is going to be a lot lower than that.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,983 Member
    edited April 2018
    I would not/do not. I do not add in things like walking to go get my lunch (often times walking up to a mile or more round trip), taking the stairs, or parking at the back of the lot. Those are just extra activities that can help boost my daily burn, but aren't purposeful exercise.

I don't follow a super strict calorie count, I try to balance a nice, steady, maintainable-for-me loss with a calorie range, and these little activity bursts just play into that overall burn.
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Use a fitness tracker.. ie garmin, apple watch, fitbit etc to track such things... take the numbers with a grain of salt though. Every step whether it gives you calories to eat back is a step towards your goal.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I gave up trying to figure it all out and just set my activity level the next step higher.

Which is too bad, because it was fun trying to name some of my exercises in ways that might amuse my friends.

Concordancia burned 200 calories swabbing the decks.
    Concordancia burned 100 calories running around Costco trying to find where they hid the roasted seaweed this month, but ate it all back with a taquito sample and a chunck of cheese.