If you go over your calories one day, but under the next, does it balance out?

For example, if i need 1500 a day, and one day i take in 1800 but the next i take in only 500, can i still lose weight like that?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Yep.

You may see some other negative side effects, but over the long term you should still lose the weight.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited April 2018
    You can absolutely do this as long as it's not drastic cuts. 500 calories is very little. As malibu said, many of us follow a weekly average and there is nothing wrong with that. It has never affected my ability to lose, maintain or bulk.

ETA: I certainly wouldn't do super low deficits regularly like that. But a couple hundred off here and couple hundred more there is no issue.
  • MewzuriKittie
    MewzuriKittie Posts: 10 Member
    What would be negative side effects of undereating? I know it doesn't really bother me if I don't eat much, and I normally have trouble reaching 1000 calories, but if I don't manage to make lunch or breakfast I grab food from whatever is around my workplace which pushes me over by a bit. Would it be bad for me to eat too much under?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2018
    What would be negative side effects of undereating? I know it doesn't really bother me if I don't eat much, and I normally have trouble reaching 1000 calories, but if I don't manage to make lunch or breakfast I grab food from whatever is around my workplace which pushes me over by a bit. Would it be bad for me to eat too much under?

Are you talking about within a given day and making it up on the next day? Assuming it doesn't impact your hunger or energy negatively, there is no problem with going under one day and making it up the next.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

If it happens continuously over time: muscle loss, hair loss, fatigue, brittle nails, hormonal imbalances, reproductive issues, organ malfunctions including the heart...and the list goes on.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    edited April 2018
    Or you could space it out and eat 100 less for the next 3 days.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member

Negative effects of routinely under eating (not just the odd day, but averaging less than 1000/day on a weekly basis) are malnutrition, fatigue, hair loss, hormonal imbalances, etc.. What are you eating that you have trouble reaching 1000 calories a day?
  • MewzuriKittie

Are you talking about within a given day and making it up on the next day? Assuming it doesn't impact your hunger or energy negatively, there is no problem with going under one day and making it up the next.

In general I guess? I dont really have a pattern to it, it just depends on if I don't get to cook or my husband wants to eat out... so sometimes I'll take in 1600-2000 calories 2 days in a row, but under 1000 the next 3 days. Im just wondering if that'll affect my weight loss.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member

In general I guess? I dont really have a pattern to it, it just depends on if I don't get to cook or my husband wants to eat out... so sometimes I'll take in 1600-2000 calories 2 days in a row, but under 1000 the next 3 days. Im just wondering if that'll affect my weight loss.

On weight loss? No.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

You may find that you temporarily weigh more following days when you eat more food than usual (because you have more food in your system or due to increased carbohydrates/sodium), but over time someone who consumes 9,800 calories a week and spreads them evenly out per day (to use an example) is going to have the same weight range as someone who eats 9,800 calories a day while eating a different amount on each day.

If you're consistently in a deficit, you will lose weight. Pay attention to your trend over time and if you find you're losing too quickly or too slowly, you can make adjustments.
  • MewzuriKittie
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »

Negative effects of routinely under eating (not just the odd day, but averaging less than 1000/day on a weekly basis) are malnutrition, fatigue, hair loss, hormonal imbalances, etc.. What are you eating that you have trouble reaching 1000 calories a day?

On a normal day, usually a thing of greek yogurt (80cal) with an oz granola (100cal?). Then for lunch either 4 crackers and an oz of cheese or a sandwich of 1tbsp cream cheese, 1tbsp raspberry jam, and the sarah lee 45 cal bread. Then a little lettuce with 3 tomatoes, a tbsp vinaigrette, and 15grams of cashews. Normally have 4oz of chicken or pork for dinner, with maybe a little potato (1/4cup) or some veggies.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    I've been eating around 1400 calories 6 days a week and up to 2200 on the 7th day. So I'm averaging about 1500 calories a day for the week. It is working far better for weight loss than when I cut my calories down to 1200 a day. Don't be afraid to eat your calories. I increased mine from the 1200 a day I started with and am actually seeing better results. I'm losing more consistently and feel physically better.
  • MewzuriKittie
    I've been eating around 1400 calories 6 days a week and up to 2200 on the 7th day. So I'm averaging about 1500 calories a day for the week. It is working far better for weight loss than when I cut my calories down to 1200 a day. Don't be afraid to eat your calories. I increased mine from the 1200 a day I started with and am actually seeing better results. I'm losing more consistently and feel physically better.

I'm not really afraid to eat my calories, I just don't really know how to hit them. I just wanted to make sure the days I eat out didn't mess up the days I go a good amount under.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Yes! I will typically add carryover into the next day if it's like 100-200 calories. Anything over than that I just say *kitten* it and eat within my target that day.