“New” Arnold Sandwich Thins = 50% increase in calories. Jerks.

Replies

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    If you live near a Kroger store they have a store brand copycat of them. I've been buying them since I discovered them at $1.99 for a pack of 8, so cheaper too. 90 calories per 43g sandwich thins. They have multigrain and honey wheat at my Kroger.
    ig04zjdeepxh.png

Too bad no kroger around me, those look even better than the Arnold ones! I like trader jo store brand copy cat as well!

Do they sell these in the regular bread section? I'm an avid Kroger shopper and I haven't seen these.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    If you live near a Kroger store they have a store brand copycat of them. I've been buying them since I discovered them at $1.99 for a pack of 8, so cheaper too. 90 calories per 43g sandwich thins. They have multigrain and honey wheat at my Kroger.
    ig04zjdeepxh.png

Too bad no kroger around me, those look even better than the Arnold ones! I like trader jo store brand copy cat as well!

Do they sell these in the regular bread section? I'm an avid Kroger shopper and I haven't seen these.

In my store (King Soopers) they are in the bread aisle, and on the same shelf with the Arnold brand thins.

Try this link to see if your store carries them? https://www.kroger.com/p/kroger-100-whole-wheat-sandwich-slims/0001111000192
  • nfarishta786
    nfarishta786 Posts: 4 Member
    Healthy Life has 80-calorie buns (actual buns) that I've been choosing over the sandwich thins for a while now. I get them at Walmart.
  • curemom95
    curemom95 Posts: 1 Member
    I was extremely disappointed as well when I noticed the change in the Sandwich Thins. 50% more calories is a big difference! I just sent a message to the company telling them how disappointed I am in the change. Maybe if enough people tell them they'll change it back?! It's worth a try anyway. Go here to give them feedback:
    https://arnoldbread.com/contact-us
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,196 Member
    ig04zjdeepxh.png

Kroger owns Fred Meyer stores and they frequently carry the Kroger generics. Do you have a Fred Meyer nearby?
  • barbpol62
    barbpol62 Posts: 6 Member
    I am also very disappointed in this change. I make a turkey sandwich for lunch every day to take to work. I don't want to "waste" 50 calories on the new version. I sent a message to Arnold through the link posted above. Thank you to those who posted lower calorie options. I will check out Trader Joe's and Aldi's. I want a sandwich thin rather than bread.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    The only bread I buy on a regular basis is Healthy Life Whole Wheat, it is 70 cals for two slices. Sometimes I splurge and buy some english muffins or cinnamon raisin bread, but that is rare.
  • WanderingTaurus
    WanderingTaurus Posts: 7 Member
    Aldi's Sandwich Skinnys, 90 calories. Aldi's L'oven Fresh 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 50 cal./slice.

The Aldi Sandwich Skinnys are delicious! Just tried them for first time this week and was pleasantly surprised.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    I also replaced with the Aldi thins. I don't know what's the point of a sandwich thin that has as many calories as a regular bun.
  • Lkfeinberg
    Lkfeinberg Posts: 3 Member
    I wish I had seen these answers before I bought Flower Brand. Flower Brand is good, but almost double the price because it has to be shipped.
  • Lkfeinberg
    I will try Trader Joe's, but before I saw this post I was quite agitated. Basically I almost exclusively use the old recipe for turkey burgers and sandwiches. So I thought I would try the new ones because Publix, where I buy the bread, only had the new "thins". Well they are a third thicker than the old recipe and do not have the same texture. Even chewing them was more difficult. So I ate one and am giving the package to my housekeeper.
    So I frantically went on line to see if anything approximated it. SPOILER ALERT. If you don't have room to store 12 packs in your freezer and the actual taste and texture isn't that important stop here.
    I frantically looked up the sandwich thins on the internet and found this ,
    Flower Foods: More expensive because of the shipping.
    Multi grain Thin Sliced Sandwich Bun It tasted the exact same as the previous Arnold's Product. The nutrition facts are almost identical also.

Flower: Arnold's New Multi grain thins
    CALORIES
    100 150
    FAT
    1 G 2 G
    SODIUM
    170 Mg 300 Mg
    CARBOHYDRATES
    19G 28G
    FIBER
    4G 3G
    SUGARS
    2G 3G
    PROTEIN
    4G 6G
  • Lkfeinberg
    PS I didn't factor in the price that the Flower Foods product has 8 per pkg vs 6 of the new Arnolds.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Arnold sucks as a company. All other companies have always given me coupons or been very responsive to complaints but I emailed them like someone suggested and their response...”
    Thank you for contacting us regarding the Sandwich Thins.

Based on consumer feedback, we made some changes to the recipe. Some of the other changes include: adding more premium ingredients, like Olive Oil and Sea Salt and increasing the amount of whole grains per serving.

We appreciate that you took the time and interest to let us know your feedback. You are a valued consumer and we will pass along your comments to the appropriate teams.”
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I switched to Double Fiber Natures Own bread and it's 90 calories.
  • wvbeetlebug
    wvbeetlebug Posts: 5 Member
    I also replaced with the Aldi thins. I don't know what's the point of a sandwich thin that has as many calories as a regular bun.
    Another vote for the Aldi Skinnies!
  • edmundmilne
    edmundmilne Posts: 1 Member
    I don't worry about the calories so much as the loss of fiber. Used to be 5g for the whole wheat, it's now 4 g for a roll that is 40% larger. Cynically, I'd have to say some beancounter's suggestions for maximizing profits are at work.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    We use the Sara Lee Delightful Whole Wheat or Healthy Life Whole Wheat.
  • hlchpmn2
    hlchpmn2 Posts: 1 Member
    The Sarah Lee delight bread is a great alternative. It has 45 calories in each slice and 13 net carbs for 2 slices at 90 calories. They have a multigrain and a wheat one.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    26e7383b-ee8b-4f31-9d85-0aa1f518458b_1.0c143da14d29dfee15a6ec0ab49a0529.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    daves-killer-bread.jpg.