Do you log every day?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    yup! daily!
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    And do you plan on logging your food forever? I really don’t like logging my food. It’s tedious. For a while I’ve only been logging m-f and taking weekends off, but it’s not working for me because when I don’t log my food, I use that as an excuse to eat all the food lol. I feel like I could set rules for myself, like just eat my main meals + 2 snacks (or something) or I guess I could just keep my food diary every day :( just curious what you all do and what your plans are? Is “intuitive eating” even a real thing....

I've been in maintenance for 5 years now and I don't log every day (or even every month sometimes). I have a maintenance weight range that I adjust seasonally (I move it up for fall/winter and move it down for spring/summer). As long as my weekly weigh-ins are within that range I don't bother with logging/tracking. Currently I'm logging over on SP (I find their logging set-up easier than MFP), because I'm transitioning into my spring/summer range and need to drop down a few pounds from my fall/winter range.

Spring/Summer maintenance range 125lbs-129lbs
    Fall/Winter range-up to 135lbs (currently at around 133lbs)

This works really well for me and I anticipate doing it long term :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    And do you plan on logging your food forever? I really don’t like logging my food. It’s tedious. For a while I’ve only been logging m-f and taking weekends off, but it’s not working for me because when I don’t log my food, I use that as an excuse to eat all the food lol. I feel like I could set rules for myself, like just eat my main meals + 2 snacks (or something) or I guess I could just keep my food diary every day :( just curious what you all do and what your plans are? Is “intuitive eating” even a real thing....

I've been in maintenance for 5 years now and I don't log every day (or even every month sometimes). I have a maintenance weight range that I adjust seasonally (I move it up for fall/winter and move it down for spring/summer). As long as my weekly weigh-ins are within that range I don't bother with logging/tracking. Currently I'm logging over on SP (I find their logging set-up easier than MFP), because I'm transitioning into my spring/summer range and need to drop down a few pounds from my fall/winter range.

Why do you aim for different weights in different seasons? Just curious
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2018

I live in an area that has distinct seasons so spring/summer is when I wear sundresses, swimsuits, shorts etc and I like looking a bit leaner. Fall/winter is when I start layering though lol. I also have a very busy schedule during the school year (we're a homeschooling family plus I work...), so I just don't focus as much on my weight during those months. Right now we're winding down for the school year and things are getting a bit more relaxed, so I'm starting to change gears again and starting to re-focus on me more :)
  • geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    My plan is to log all meals except when traveling. The break during traveling is a welcome break and makes it easier to start again when you get home.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    I haven't steadily logged in over a decade, but that's because I'm a career dieter, so I just instinctively keep a mental log of what I ate that day and I'm aware of the nutritional data on most of the things I eat. And who has time for logging. Obsessing and documenting food would just make me think about food all the time, which makes me hungrier. Everyone is different, though, and if you get derailed or lose track when you don't log, you should log. Just here to give you hope, though: if you do this long enough, it becomes a lifestyle change and becomes second-nature and you don't have to spend every second whipping out a calorie counter.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    If I eat, I log! I even pre-log quite a bit. Works for me. MFP has me at 1200 calories, which doesn't leave me much room for mistakes. Plus, I learn a lot about different foods and combinations and can then tweak my meals and recipes to keep me at 1200 and still enjoying my favorite foods.
  • doseofcrazy
    doseofcrazy Posts: 62 Member
    I'm so new to this it's not funny, so my advice may be total bunk. *shrug* But the first couple days, I logged as I ate. That did get tedious, and sometimes I'd even think "Meh, if I eat this, I have to log it. Not worth it." LOL Not exactly a healthy mindset. Then I just figured that I'd pre-log everything. I log in in the morning, input all of what I plan on eating. I'm finding it's a lot less stress (and - for now at least - a little exciting) to be able to aim for the goals and know how much I am planning on "spending" calorie-wise that day. I do tend to eat back my exercise calories, so if my planned food takes me over the goal I can just work in extra workout time. I don't know if pre-logging will always be my thing, or if it would help you, but I'm riding what works right now. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

I'm similar...not that I aim for a higher weight in the winter, I just allow for it. This is largely due to the fact that my general activity as well as exercise activity declines in the winter because I road cycle and it's cold and dark at the times I can ride. I do have an indoor bike trainer, but I don't use it as often as I ride outdoors in nicer seasons. Also, foods tend to be heavier...more big stews and casseroles and the like, whereas in the spring, summer, and early fall we do a lot of grilling of fish and lean meats, big salads, lots of veggies, etc. Then of course there are the holidays and the festivities that go with them.

I'm typically around 180 on average going into summer and through the fall...late fall through winter my weight starts creeping up and once I hit around 190 I start to do some things to at least maintain that and not gain anymore. I usually start cutting weight once the time changes and I can start getting out on my bike more and I'm usually down to 180 again by late May or early June.

I've been in maintenance more or less for 5 years and haven't logged in that time. I have my indulgences for sure, but I'm pretty much a three meal per day and maybe a couple snacks kinda guy and I'm not after food all of the time. We don't eat out all that often and cook mostly at home. I monitor the scale regularly to see if what I'm doing is what I should be doing.

I found logging pretty tedious during my weight loss, but used it as a teaching tool to establish better habits eating wise. I also got a little obsessed with the numbers and such and it was really something that was becoming this all consuming thing leading to a lot of anxiety and stress. I feel much more free just following through with my healthy habits and not obsessing or worrying about every little calorie.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    I'm so new to this it's not funny, so my advice may be total bunk. *shrug* But the first couple days, I logged as I ate. That did get tedious, and sometimes I'd even think "Meh, if I eat this, I have to log it. Not worth it." LOL Not exactly a healthy mindset. Then I just figured that I'd pre-log everything. I log in in the morning, input all of what I plan on eating. I'm finding it's a lot less stress (and - for now at least - a little exciting) to be able to aim for the goals and know how much I am planning on "spending" calorie-wise that day. I do tend to eat back my exercise calories, so if my planned food takes me over the goal I can just work in extra workout time. I don't know if pre-logging will always be my thing, or if it would help you, but I'm riding what works right now. :)
    I still log as I eat (right before I eat) because spontaneity is important to me. Other people succeed with planning future consumption but I would feel too constrained. The key is to find what level of pre-planning works for you.

Deciding that you don't want to eat something because it's not worth going to the trouble of logging it is a feature, not a bug. That got rid of a lot of my "I just want to eat because I'm bored" eating. If it's too much trouble to log, I don't really want it enough anyway.

I also log as I eat and I often pull up the app to help me make a choice if I have alternatives. When I don't weigh food, log later and/or have to guess how much something is I tend to err on the side of caution. It is also helpful in encouraging me to exercise to make some space in the calorie budget.
  • angeloftheark
    angeloftheark Posts: 10 Member
    I think it's good to log it every day until it becomes natural to you. You have to retrain your mind in my opinion when it comes to seriously losing weight and staying fit.
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    I'm not logging daily at the moment, I batch prepare several meals in advance and freeze. I do weigh and record everything which goes into each meal, so do know how much is in each. I don't have a problem snacking or going crazy. Have lost a reasonable amount, still could be lower but for now I'm happy that I've found a 'maintenance' level and in time will resume a lower weight target.

Logging is so much more than just calories - the macros, vitamins etc have been far important for me. Possibly my view may change when I get closer to 'ideal' weight, but logging does give an insight and one which I take on board and adjusted what I eat. My goal is to be at a lower weight and maintain it without having to worry if xyz would push me over 'limit'.

If logging on a site like this or offline in spreadsheets work, fantastic - I have no issue at all with at all, it works. My preference is rather to get that into my head and think thin, or my current weight is great.
  • talpaengi
    talpaengi Posts: 28 Member
    I logged daily while I was first losing weight in 2011-2012. I lost 50 lbs and then decided that was enough for awhile, even though I hadn't reached my ultimate goal. I stopped logging from then until this February and kept the weight off -- I fluctuated within the same 5 lbs, but I had learned through the initial weight loss period what it feels like in my body when I eat the right amount of calories and the right mix of nutrients for me.

Now that I'm back to lose the last bit of weight (currently 11 into an expected total of 25-35 lbs), I'm logging daily again, and I plan to do so until I hit the right weight. I might log a bit after that to taper into maintenance, or if I decide to recomp at that point, but I will definitely not be logging for the rest of my life.

FWIW, I tend to prelog most of my food the night before, just so it's not a tedious thing I have to remember to do throughout the day.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    I seem to be able to skip logging or skip weighing, but not both. I just start to creep upward. I think doing one or the other keeps eating properly in the front of my mind.
  • theresa961
    theresa961 Posts: 37 Member
    I log every bite, lick and sneak that I put in my mouth. Only way to be accountable. I know why I am up if I’m up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    edited May 2018
    I logged like it was a religion in 2015-16 while losing, even when I had to estimate (potlucks, dinner at others' homes, some restaurants).

Going into year 3 of maintenance, I still log most days, but will skip one or two if they're very complicated (back at the potlucks and such!). Most of my unlogged days are over-goal days, but I have a fairly good experiential estimate of the maximum number of calories I can eat in a day, so I assume that.

I tried not logging for a couple of weeks, and didn't like it. For one, I tended to over-eat more often; but more importantly to me, I worried about whether I was hitting my protein goal. As an ovo-lacto vegetarian who doesn't eat fake meat, it's hard to track the amount intuitively, as it's spread over many varying foods every day. (I don't eat the same things over and over. There are some general themes, but details differ.)

I never pre-log a whole day: It's completely alien to my nature. I occasionally prelog a meal or a couple of foods, just to see experimentally what I can fit in.

I don't find any of it obsessive or burdensome, but I'm a data geek in other aspects of my life as well.

(Edited because I hit "post reply" too soon by accident)