Only losing 1 pound a week

Options
I started my weightloss journey about 4 weeks ago, I have only lost 1 pound a week even on the first week. I eat 1200 calories a day, no soda, no fried foods, no fast food. I go to the gym 3 days a week. I feel I should be losing at least 2 pounds a week, does anyone have tips on how to lose a bit more weekly?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your TDEE? How much weight in total are you trying to lose? 2 lbs/week is the most aggressive rate of loss and is usually appropriate for those with more than 75 lbs to lose. Are you using a food scale for logging accuracy?

You also should be aware that 1200 is the lowest calorie target MFP provides, and if your deficit for 2 lbs per week would put you below that number then it still will only show 1200. So if MFP estimates your maintenance cals to be 2000, and you want to lose 2 lbs/week that would be a 1000 cal deficit, but since 1000 is below the minimum then MFP still provides 1200 as your goal, so you might not lose the 2 lbs/week even if perfectly accurate with everything else.

But again, for most people, 2 lbs/week and 1200 cals is not necessary. 1 lb/week is great progress!
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    ^ Need more information.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I started my weightloss journey about 4 weeks ago, I have only lost 1 pound a week even on the first week. I eat 1200 calories a day, no soda, no fried foods, no fast food. I go to the gym 3 days a week. I feel I should be losing at least 2 pounds a week, does anyone have tips on how to lose a bit more weekly?

I've struggled with a slow metabolism and generally lost less than 1 pound a week. I had to divorce the scales. I lost 80lb and have put back 30 lb - arthritis in both knees has made exercise more challenging. I've been back on my plan for 3 months and have lost 7 lb. Very annoying but it would seem I just have to suck it up.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is a good rate. Depending on your stats, you may not be able to reach 2 pounds a week as 1200 calories is the lowest it will go.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. One pound a week is great!!! The only thing that needs fixed is your patience. ;)