Im not overweight anymore yet I look like it

Options
Height: 5'8
Starting W: 172lbs
Current W: 151lbs
Goal: 145

Little back story: From 2015 to 2016 I was active and fit until university stopped all that from happening. I only started to workout 2 months ago but this month April I have been busy with my exams. Instead of working out I have been dieting quite hard eating only vegies, fruits and occasionally I fast for a day. Today I reached my former weight of 151 lbs but I am very confused to why I still look a bit fat. Can someone explain to me why this happened?

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Start lifting heavy things!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    if you ate only veggiees and fruit and fasted you starved away your muscle. Lift heavy things indeed.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Protein and heavy lifting....simple answer.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Your a guy so you need to thin out the fat and bulk up your muscle. Go to the posts in regards to exercise and lifting!
  • FerchoGee
    FerchoGee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the quick feed back. My membership is expired and im starting my final exams at the moment so I would have to start gym again in May
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    It is that horrible term "skinny fat"...you are a normal or healthy BMI for your height...as a young man with lots of testosterone, you would be trying to build muscle for better body composition if you are not happy with the way you look. Increasing cardio (walking even) and also lifting heavy things in the gym will help you. As will keeping your protein levels around 1g per 1lb of bodyweight...oh and increasing your calories to maintenance level, so you are not in a huge deficit anymore...
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    FerchoGee wrote: »
    Thank you guys for the quick feed back. My membership is expired and im starting my final exams at the moment so I would have to start gym again in May

Honestly, you don't need a gym right away. Maybe do some body weight stuff before May? Also, people thing gym time has to be 2 hours long. If you have a plan and stick to the plan, you can get a great workout in 30 mins.
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'8
    Starting W: 172lbs
    Current W: 151lbs
    Goal: 145

Little back story: From 2015 to 2016 I was active and fit until university stopped all that from happening. I only started to workout 2 months ago but this month April I have been busy with my exams. Instead of working out I have been dieting quite hard eating only vegies, fruits and occasionally I fast for a day. Today I reached my former weight of 151 lbs but I am very confused to why I still look a bit fat. Can someone explain to me why this happened?

I'm a believer in doing weight-training. The more I work with weight, the better "shape" my body takes. If your not doing any weights yet, I suggest that. Right now I do body-weight training only (pushups, lunges, squats) but may go back to the gym eventually. There I can use the machines and/or free-weights. On my profile I put some of the body-weight exercise I'm doing now, and for the last, 14 days. I love the way my muscles are changing already:)
  • abbynormal52
    Options

Honestly, you don't need a gym right away. Maybe do some body weight stuff before May? Also, people thing gym time has to be 2 hours long. If you have a plan and stick to the plan, you can get a great workout in 30 mins.

You are so right Gamer, I do about 15 to 30 minutes of just body-weight stuff, and seeing/feeling lots of change already;)
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    You can do bodyweight now, without a gym - start with push-ups, pull-ups, squats, and lunges.

I hadn't seen the posts about the body-weight when I posted, but so neat to see how many people do them now:) or recommend them as an option;) I can't do "pushups" yet, but I do what I call pushoffs, using the wall, and then when my strength is built, I will move down to a table, and eventually, the floor;) Plus I can't believe all the muscles that are worked in a pushup.

Here's a photo for the OP:
    pt69zn04rkw7.png
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, switch to maintenance calories, start making sure you are at least hitting if not exceeding your protein goal, and pick a body weight program from this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You don't look overweight, you just need to start working on muscles/fitness. Good luck!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You can do bodyweight now, without a gym - start with push-ups, pull-ups, squats, and lunges.

I hadn't seen the posts about the body-weight when I posted, but so neat to see how many people do them now:) or recommend them as an option;) I can't do "pushups" yet, but I do what I call pushoffs, using the wall, and then when my strength is built, I will move down to a table, and eventually, the floor;) Plus I can't believe all the muscles that are worked in a pushup.

Here's a photo for the OP:
    pt69zn04rkw7.png

I started with wall push-ups when I was obese, and graduated to counter push-ups, then knee push-ups, then really shallow toe push-ups with poor form, and you wouldn't believe how happy I was when I was finally able to do "real" good form push-ups! It took me months but I got there, if a drill sergeant yelled at me today I could drop and give them twenty. Keep it up! You will get there too!